Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115212 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #930 on: August 27, 2010, 02:24:06 pm »

I'm surprised the dude hasn't posted in this thread yet.
Wow, way to read all 62 pages  >:(
Sorry, I was just trying to get someone to respond with relevant links so I didn't have to scan through everything.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 27, 2010, 02:26:55 pm »

I have a higher post-per-page count set in my profile.  This thing's only 19 pages long for me.

Nope, he hasn't posted at all, certainly this blue text doesn't lead to his post history showing all his posts.

You seem to be mistaken, good sir.  That text is not blue, it is golden yellow.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 27, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »

I have a higher post-per-page count set in my profile.  This thing's only 19 pages long for me.

Nope, he hasn't posted at all, certainly this blue text doesn't lead to his post history showing all his posts.

It's a dark brown for me good sir.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 27, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »

With each kill, you get better and better at stalking, combat, etc, but require a more elaborate ritual (that makes it easier for cops to hunt you down).

I totally like your idea of "getting new derangements that have to be met to get 'credit' for the kill".
But i don't like the idea of getting better at stalking and combat and leveling what so ever. Maybe you can get better at dismembering of the body, but you don't get better in combat after one fight or don't get more agile after you sneak in someones backyard. I would keep this away from standard fantasy "get powerful" roguelike.

You do. There's a reason sparring is such a major part of most martial arts, your body needs practice to iron out the little details. Nothing says practice like a real life or death struggle against a opponent victim. Of course, we don't want to see something like Final Fantasy, where beating up 50 wolves makes you level up. But learning how to best break bones with a blunt weapon, or how to sneak past your average person by hiding in the shadows or behind walls/doors, or which grip suits you best on a knife for a killing blow from a few fake-world fights is fairly realistic.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this. Psychoses are fascinating imo, and it will be interesting to see how realistic this game turns out to be.

You wont get noticeably better in your first couple of sparing matches without a good instructor. The only thing you get from brawling is to get used to soaking up punches without the paralysing shock effect.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 27, 2010, 02:40:32 pm »

It's a dark brown for me good sir.
That's what I get for not using Darkling theme. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 27, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

I've been following this thread for some time now, hoping there would be a playable version D:

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 27, 2010, 03:02:12 pm »

He's taking a few day break, which means it'll be a long time :c
Shoes...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 27, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »

He's taking a few day break, which means it'll be a long time :c

I could pick up DF adventure mode again.
But being a psychopath there isn't nearly as much fun...

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 27, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »

Posting to watch.
FanBase.MemberCount++

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #939 on: August 27, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »

With multi-story and possibly apartment buildings; you can attempt window-drop kills, landing in dumpsters, filled or not (as previously suggested (depending on what's in the dumpster can improve odds of survival; like a dumpster full of soft garbage or mattresses could give you +50% to survival, whereas hard garbage, glass, or scrap metals (like fencing or furniture) is -75% to survival, added on top of damage done by a fall of whatever height; intelligence affects fall accuracy)), or fence kills (nothing like skewering your target with a wrought-iron fence; stair-dropping, or even restraining your target onto a lightning rod and waiting for a storm to fry him.

If allergies are an eventual feature; we can get a beehive, toss it into a victim's house whose allergic to bees, and watch as they get stung apart. You can also try to unleash some black mold or asbestos if you can get a hold of them onto your sleeping target. Heck, got a pet tarantula or scorpion or snake, let those loose and poison your target with venom as well. If you also have pet doberman or rottweiler (police can also sic these guys on you as well), send them to chase or ambush your victim and bite off limbs.

EDIT:
Also with apartment buildings or multi-story buildings, we need fire escapes as a method of entry/exit, as well as a jump system to hop from balcony to balcony (or building to building if they are close enough to each other) at least jumping 1-2 tiles, up to 3-4 if particularly strong or nimble, with maybe a running start. Also inherent with being smart enough, your character can automatically tuck and roll upon landing, especially if the jump is from 2 different heights (particularly -1z) to minimize damage upon landing. It would also help in evading police. Heck, it could double as a parkour challenge.

EDIT EDIT:
I guess if you also want silly ways of offing someone, have the ability to drop stuff on people from 1 to many stories above them. Even go as silly as throwing water (or blood) balloons at your targets; then when they least expect it, a rock.

For additional fun, act suspicious enough for your neighbor to snoop around your house, and go morbid Home Alone on them, dropping limbs from above, and having the victim slip and fall on their back because the floor is riddled with eyeballs and other random stuff; place random flamethrowers and heated doorknobs, tar and feather them, and drop a tarantula on them. Oh, and don't forget broken glass next to the windows, and slippery ice next to the doorways. When the police start chasing you down, continue the assault and use the zipline from the top of your home to a nearby treehouse.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:30:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

memy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 27, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »

Ignore that faggot Manlytears on the youtube vid. He's a 4chan troll who hates anything that isn't him.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 27, 2010, 04:36:50 pm »

Oh god
Itnetlolor is correct. There is no way this game could be fun without jumping.

EDIT:
Change that to as fun.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 27, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »

Oh, double downs are super dry. I don't like them.

In other news, pwease release your broken version CK?

In other other news, omg RPS
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 27, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

What? I mentioned that news, and I wasn't even the first one.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 73