Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115177 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #945 on: August 27, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

More news.

He slowly describes what the game is supposed to be like, then goes into pseudo-intelectual "liek omg dis is crap" mode over a single character trait?

This reminds me of why people laugh at video game reviewers.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 27, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »

More news.

He slowly describes what the game is supposed to be like, then goes into pseudo-intelectual "liek omg dis is crap" mode over a single character trait?

This reminds me of why people laugh at video game reviewers.

He didn't really go all that nutty over the inclusion of the Insane trait. To be fair, I kind of agree with what he's saying - most of the other traits are real things, like Schizophrenia, but Insane doesn't seem to fit as well.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #947 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »

I think (general) insanity would be more like a more/less than average grip on sanity (more doesn't always mean better sometimes; which can enhance vigilantism). No distinct characterization yet, but a random one will form. I guess they missed that point.

It's an illness in-progress, simply put. We have no further details beyond until it fully matures.

At least the review and comments weren't so blind in judgment this time around.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:31:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 27, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »

Insane in the membrane.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 27, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

As technically, none of the traits are actually in the game yet, there really shouldn't be anything to complain...but...I do agree with:

Frankly, if you want to make a quasi-realistic serial killer game, do the bloody research.

Eh, you know what? I posted far too much in this thread. That's it, this is the last post in this thread, and any next one I'll do considering this game would be starting the Pacifist run.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:33:26 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 27, 2010, 06:32:44 pm »

In that vein, I think a little more distinction or clarification could be called for.  Schizophrenia could cover "Voices" and "See dead people", since both are hallucinations.  Having those two traits alongside another generic "Schizophrenia" is a little odd.  Maybe some sort of category system?

Of course, it should be noted that he made it quite clear the video illustrating these features is really just showing off placeholders.  The trait system is going to get revamped anyways, suggesting it be changed is slightly redundant.

EDIT:
I think (general) insanity would be more like a more/less than average grip on sanity. No distinct characterization yet, but a random one will form. I guess they missed that point.

It's an illness in-progress, simply put. We have no further details beyond until it fully matures.

At least the review and comments weren't so blind in judgment this time around.

Yeh, except that "Insanity" really is an outdated catchall term from when people didn't know enough to define the actual diseases.  It's still a cool word though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #951 on: August 27, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »

Somehow, I get the feeling that the character creation system is going to evolve into something similar to LCS. You know, make the illnesses that spawn seem more plausible because there's a bit more backstory in the choices made when making your character.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 27, 2010, 06:42:16 pm »

I like the character creation myself. I want to make my OWN plausible backstories.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 27, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »

He didn't really go all that nutty over the inclusion of the Insane trait. To be fair, I kind of agree with what he's saying - most of the other traits are real things, like Schizophrenia, but Insane doesn't seem to fit as well.
Sure, schizophrenia is real, but the description of it in this game is simply psychosis which is one of a whole number of symptoms of the illness and is something that can be caused by many, many things completely unrelated to schizophrenia. At least with Toady he will research something before trying to model it. Perhaps he simply has no interest in the psychological/psychiatric side of serial killers. That's fine. A shame, but whatever.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 27, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »

I think the topic creator should update the first post with news and such.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 27, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »

Sure, schizophrenia is real, but the description of it in this game is simply psychosis which is one of a whole number of symptoms of the illness and is something that can be caused by many, many things completely unrelated to schizophrenia. At least with Toady he will research something before trying to model it. Perhaps he simply has no interest in the psychological/psychiatric side of serial killers. That's fine. A shame, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure he's said he is interested entirely in the psychological side of it in this very thread :P These are mostly just placeholders of course, to show off character creation.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 27, 2010, 06:59:01 pm »

Im not so sure, he showed each one off seperately.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 27, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »

It's not like after 5 months he'll have every mental disease ingame documented and researched.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 28, 2010, 12:14:27 am »

Blah, that's too much work.

...Be doing it in a bit.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 28, 2010, 12:36:52 am »

Blah, that's too much work.

...Be doing it in a bit.

I know the feeling, I started the thread on Something Awful for the same game and my mood is just 'augh updating topic' right now :P
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73