Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca  (Read 20531 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2011, 08:08:36 am »

That they do.  Also, holy shit, that article.  I thought it was a different one when I linked it, but it's actually some weird push-study by Baylor University, by some guy with a huge chip on his shoulder about atheists.  I'd put his analysis and commentary into question, but the actual poll results are pretty solid, I've seen the study before.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2011, 08:11:45 am »

Yeah, anyone who basically says "Athiests are just very angry people that need to be ignored" is kind of a douche.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:30 am »

Yeah, anyone who basically says "Athiests are just very angry people that need to be ignored" is kind of a douche.

I usually ignore such people.
Hello.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2011, 11:05:58 am »

“There was only one decline in church attendance and that was in the late 1960s,” Mr. Stark said, “when the Vatican said it was not a sin to miss Mass. They said Catholics could act like Protestants, and so they did.”

1. Become Catholic.
2. Sleep in on Sunday.
3. Quote the Pope to my wife when she gets all cross (ho-ho).
4. Profit!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2011, 11:08:03 am »

Europe does have more atheists than the U.S., the survey said, but no country has more than 7 percent except France, which is at 14 percent of the populace.
I'm pretty sure this just straightup isn't true.  Certainly, I can't find any figures as low as that for the UK.  I'd be interested to see their sampling method.

Also, almost every conclusion he draws isn't particularly supported by his evidence.  Eh.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2011, 11:10:21 am »

IIRC Estonia is something like 70% atheist.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:38 am »

Fun fact: Judaism isn't the oldest Abrahamic religion. It's tied with Samaritanism. Nobody can really say which is older.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:08 am »

IIRC Estonia is something like 70% atheist.
IIRC Sweden is 45% atheist, but also 95% identify as nonreligious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »

Well, the problem I have with Wiccans is that they're some kind of batshit hippy new-age perversion of actual pagan beliefs, but that's just me.

Do you really have to be such an intolerant ass about this? Seriously, I don't think referring to people's religion as a "batshit hippy new-age perversion" is very conducive to discussion.

You're calling a religion a perversion for drawing inspiration from another, older, set of beliefs while not necessarily following them to the letter. What exactly is wrong with that? Religions change over time just like language does. You'd have to call pretty much every modern religion a "perversion" of something-or-other.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »

There's quite a bit of fun-poking at ignrant cristuns on this forum, but if you put the shoe on another foot, hoooo boy.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

I'd be saying the same thing if he had said that about Christians.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:27 pm »

Yeah.  If some poll showed that 95% of Swiss people are nonreligious and the person used that as basis to say...
"The irreligious people don’t care about the religious people, but the religious are prickly. I think they’re just angry (subtext: they know God doesn't exist but are just saying he does to be difficult).”
It'd still be a stupid conclusion.  Basically, there's nothing in that poll at all to suggest that atheists are angry, prickly, secretly believe in God or are ignorant or whatever.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2011, 03:05:29 pm »

Well, the problem I have with Wiccans is that they're some kind of batshit hippy new-age perversion of actual pagan beliefs, but that's just me.

Do you really have to be such an intolerant ass about this? Seriously, I don't think referring to people's religion as a "batshit hippy new-age perversion" is very conducive to discussion.

You're calling a religion a perversion for drawing inspiration from another, older, set of beliefs while not necessarily following them to the letter. What exactly is wrong with that? Religions change over time just like language does. You'd have to call pretty much every modern religion a "perversion" of something-or-other.

Okay, I'll agree the word "perversion" was over the top and definitely exaggerated.

I just have trouble in seeing anything else in Wicca than some religion made up completely from different, rather random parts of mythology recent and old put together into some kind of, as the name implies, neopagan conglomerate. If I shall be a bit vulgar, it just seems to me somebody pulled the whole thing out of their ass, because their belief doesn't originate in the early days of humanity, nor has it evolved from another belief.
I don't hate Wiccans or anything, but to me, it's just meh. It's built on highly questionable claims.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:08:16 pm by Dwarf »
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11:34 pm »

There's quite a bit of fun-poking at ignrant cristuns on this forum, but if you put the shoe on another foot, hoooo boy.

It is just fun-poking though, and there's been fun-poking at wiccans in this very thread. But I think near everyone agrees that just calling it bat-shit crazy is being an asshole, and nobody wants to deal with it.

So it's all cool, we're basically on your side, depending on how far your definition of fun-poking stretches. But I for one am most certainly not on Dwarfs. Be less of a douchebag and be more conducive to discussion. Vitriol breeds vitriol (I wouldn't have called you a douchebag otherwise, though I stand by that, cause that was hella douchey) and helps nobody. Is it so hard to express your opinion in a positive manner? Here, I'll rewrite this whole post so I do too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But my original post stands because you made me angry by being an ass.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

Excessive use of the word 'you' is making me confused.

Ultimately I'm trying to say "simmer down everyone". I think Dwarf certainly put it very bluntly and I find that disrespectful but I've seen similar bluntness elsewhere. I want to avoid assigning blame and have everyone get along. I guess I can lock it if that isn't possible.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11