Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10194 10195 [10196] 10197 10198 ... 10994

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13533716 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152925 on: August 16, 2020, 11:11:37 am »

Apparently there was.

And since movie makers can't make games it makes sense it's up to the game creators to make movies. What could go wrong?
Seems to have worked out decently enough for Kojima?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152926 on: August 16, 2020, 04:13:25 pm »

Kojima had was surrounded by a bunch of people who's job was to keep him under control. Those people began to disappear near the end of his tenure at Konami, which resulted in the clusterfucks of MGS 4 and 5.

The original 2D metal gear games (before they added the "solid" suffix) were also more gameplay focused and didn't have as much story. Kojima had at least some experience making normal games before he became a "movie" director.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:15:35 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152927 on: August 16, 2020, 04:19:39 pm »

Kojima had was surrounded by a bunch of people who's job was to keep him under control. Those people began to disappear near the end of his tenure at Konami, which resulted in the clusterfucks of MGS 4 and 5.

The original 2D metal gear games (before they added the "solid" suffix) were also more gameplay focused and didn't have as much story. Kojima had at least some experience making normal games before he became a "movie" director.

The last game Kojima made for Konami was Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.  It has a 93 on metacritic.com, which the website says is "universal acclaim."  In what way is universal acclaim a clusterfuck?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152928 on: August 16, 2020, 04:28:20 pm »

There’s a great deal of story in the Metal Gear game’s on the MSX. Hell, there’s a classic Kojima length cutscene in the middle of the second one in which Snake is chatting to one of the other characters for backstory, only to make it a bit more poignant later when that character is killed, and who they get killed by.

Big Boss and Gray Fox are from those games, and they’re important characters in the series.

MGS4 is the weakest game in the series, but it’s not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

MGS5 was unfinished because of Konami, not Kojima. Even then, the game is still fun in and of itself, you just won’t get a payoff at the end because the story is not finished.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152929 on: August 16, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »

MSG4 has a low amount of gameplay for the length, and what we get isn't that great - it really felt like a step down from 3. The story had a number of flaws (although there were some brilliant avoidances of normal flaws in the concepts) and did too good a job of tying everything together.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152930 on: August 16, 2020, 05:39:14 pm »

MSG4 has a low amount of gameplay for the length, and what we get isn't that great - it really felt like a step down from 3. The story had a number of flaws (although there were some brilliant avoidances of normal flaws in the concepts) and did too good a job of tying everything together.

It’s the final game of the series chronologically.

It’s not really a clusterfuck though, even if it isn’t very good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152931 on: August 16, 2020, 05:46:20 pm »

I remember a few years ago when I was looking up Mantis related bosses in video games, (was researching preying mantids at the time) and learned in one of the Metal Gear games there’s a boss that takes control of your controller, causing you to need to get a second controller to fight with. Said boss’s name was Mantis and he had telekinetic powers. I think it would be interesting if more games broke the 4th wall, making you pay attention to reality as well as the game

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152932 on: August 16, 2020, 06:13:29 pm »

It’s the final game of the series chronologically.

It’s not really a clusterfuck though, even if it isn’t very good.

By doing too good a job, I mean that it literally tied "everything" together. Pretty much every named older character was retconned revealed to be a Patriot or otherwise integral to the single plotline.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152933 on: August 16, 2020, 06:14:26 pm »

It was awesome. In fact the game keep track of a few things, if you saved a lot before that point Mantis told you a insecure coward, if you saved few times or none it taunted you of being risksome and careless.

If you keep the controller plugged on the 1st player slot Mantis not only fucked up the actions the buttons did, it also had a unfair advantage and reacted almost perfectly against your every move. So you had to plug the control on the 2dn player slot whenever the game gave a video-lost error like screen.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152934 on: August 16, 2020, 06:16:39 pm »

He is meant to be psychic you know. He also commented on other Konami games you played if you had a save file on the same memory card.

You could still win with it plugged into the first slot, you just had to call the colonel many times, and then shoot some busts.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152935 on: August 16, 2020, 06:22:34 pm »

Pretty much every named older character was retconned revealed to be a Patriot or otherwise integral to the single plotline.
?

There aren't any human Patriots. That was the whole reveal, that they were AIs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152936 on: August 16, 2020, 06:23:42 pm »

He is meant to be psychic you know. He also commented on other Konami games you played if you had a save file on the same memory card.

You could still win with it plugged into the first slot, you just had to call the colonel many times, and then shoot some busts.

Yes, I said it was super awesome and inspiring. I did play it a lot Metal Gear Solid in the PSOne back then.

At the time it was also very out of the box, and in fact I cant think of much games if any at all that had something like that after.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152937 on: August 16, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:42:31 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152938 on: August 16, 2020, 06:58:59 pm »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152939 on: August 16, 2020, 07:48:57 pm »

Interesting
Pages: 1 ... 10194 10195 [10196] 10197 10198 ... 10994