Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 105030 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)
« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2012, 10:40:16 am »

Turning enemies into cavies or cats or something sounds amusing, useful, possible, and perhaps OP. You can get them to transform themselves into bears or cougars or gators or what-have-you, but there's not really a good control on it. Unless you want them to turn into eagles or something to escape.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 03, 2012, 10:47:06 am »

Just thought I should mention, but I seem to be having problems where some of my idle Bolds are refusing to haul items, even though they have the skills turned on. I wasn't sure if this was a bug you were aware of, or if there was a way around it. It's not game breaking, but it is annoying.

Cheers for making a great mod.

That's odd, as they seem to haul stuff for me. There could be a plethora of things, such as if they're limited to a burrow, or if it's refuse from outside they're not hauling, which is ignored by default (and can be changed with hotkey o, r, o if I remember right.) Or the game just likes me or something, but unfortunately I can't help much without being able to recreate the issue, but I'll keep on eye for it.

Ok, cheers. I'll restart and bring some on embark. That's probably easiest.

Also, what kind of skills would you recomend on embark?

Perhaps a bit of mining and woodcutting and a few generic tasks, also I do start one bold off with the appraisal skill so that I'm not trading with caravans in the dark. Medical skills are often a plus as well, if you can get a hold of the materials in the first place. But overall, I go light on kobold skills, and put more points into starting with more items.

I think I'll try taking the plunge this weekend and build a camp. With dwarves, I usually end up stalling because I feel like I need everything planned out in advance. I can imagine things going differently for kobolds, since they're not the sort who'd plan big or efficiently, so I can just go for organic growth. Think I'll shoot for some isolated spot with clay and build an adobe city with rooftop bridges and such. If I end up prospering beyond my expectations, maybe build a Mayincatec pyramid or something.

Something that I just thought of: Any chance shamans could be made as something like necromancers? I'd worry that ToadyOne wouldn't have appropriate magic powers in the code for them, but even without magic, I'd be fine with a bunch of immortal druids hanging out in a circle, writing books about the secrets of nature.

From the sounds of it, shamans are in the works to be a caste and have lower lifespan, but would be more accessable. Druids may work for actual secrets, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something like that, a rare immortal kobold. It seems like those sorts of interactions were made for necromancers, but it's worth trying out. As you've elaborated on, it may seem like druid would be rare and only come up when a kobold god shares a secret with them, but they wouldn't pass it down/take apprentices without a tower apparently.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 03, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

Yeah, it's going to take some thought on how to keep it balanced if secret-type shamans are available as civ members. Self-transformation could be limited in power by available forms and whether or not they're tweaked to keep their equipment from falling to the ground when they transform. I'll have to look again, but I think interactions can be given time restrictions on use. Duration is another factor.

One thing to note is that I don't think a transformation victim loses its allegiance. If you turn a hostile elf of the attacking Moonflower civ into a cat, you're going to have a hostile cat loyal to the Moonflower civ. So no turning sieges into peaceful livestock just yet.

If, on the other hand, secret-type shamans end up as non-civ members who break away and do their own thing, being overpowered would mostly be restricted to adventure mode, unless something causes a shaman to attack your site like necromancers sometimes do.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:11 am »

I'm not even sure it's possible to have interaction/transformed/secret types be a part of ones civilization in dwarf mode. So it would be fine if they were strong, as they likely would be somewhere else. Although, without legions of undead or something, I think that an attack on the fort would end rather pathetically.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 03, 2012, 11:22:21 am »

Interaction/Transformed/Secretive people should be good citizens, assuming no CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tags are added.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #320 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »

Lots of speculation on Shaman castes :P
Hehe I intend it to be a upgrade-able caste which means, there won't be towers of them.
There is only two ways to get them
  • Use a special building to upgrade a normal bold into a shaman
  • Start as one in Adv. Mode
Now since Adv. Mode doesn't use the same method as the Fortress mode upgrade, that means Adv. Mode Shamans will acaully be stronger. But be lacking in spells.
And in a few fun tests Sanure has acually found that Retired Adventurers can migrate to your fort, if they retired in a kobold civ.
So that means your super powered Shaman you travelled the world with could show up at your camp.

Which might be fun to add something to make adventuers immortal (NO_AGING) so that your retired Shaman comes along as an ancient badass.

I think I wanted to say more, But RL calls

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 04, 2012, 03:46:33 am »

Sorry to bother you all again, but I can't seem to work out which skill the wood processer uses to process wood, as I've tried Carpentry and Woodcutting, and neither seem to work.

Any help would be great.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 04, 2012, 01:28:30 pm »

Sorry to bother you all again, but I can't seem to work out which skill the wood processer uses to process wood, as I've tried Carpentry and Woodcutting, and neither seem to work.

Any help would be great.

That would be Process Plant

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2012, 06:22:01 pm »

I downloaded the most recent version of this, and am having an issue with world gen.  It gets to where it's done, then rejects the world and starts over.  It did this nine times before I gave up.  Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »

what size of world are you genning? Because my old version worked fine, and I'm sure this newer one did as well.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »

And in a few fun tests Sanure has acually found that Retired Adventurers can migrate to your fort, if they retired in a kobold civ.
So that means your super powered Shaman you travelled the world with could show up at your camp.

I should add that its a very rare chance if they do join your camp. as far as i know its a probability based on race, age, achievements, and where in your fort's influence range it is (meaning if their in the capital they should have a higher chance of migrating to your fort). dont rely on a retired adventurer joining your fort unless your really lucky.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »

My three spear kobolds just took down a moose, and two pandas! I'm proud of myself. also, does the throwing glove use both throwing axes and throwing hammers? also, why wont my kobolds wear the mussel shell helmets i painstakingly made?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »

I should add that its a very rare chance if they do join your camp. as far as i know its a probability based on race, age, achievements, and where in your fort's influence range it is (meaning if their in the capital they should have a higher chance of migrating to your fort). dont rely on a retired adventurer joining your fort unless your really lucky.

Q. If you gave your adventurer a nickname, i.e., "Glorypants", will that appear when he immigrates? :)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:41 pm »

Q. If you gave your adventurer a nickname, i.e., "Glorypants", will that appear when he immigrates? :)
probably, i think it would keep what you named him and all his stats, or it should. also, i learned you could use kobold migrants as meatsheilds armed with shovels while your good soldiers protect the people running to hiding. are caravans supposed to have so many weapons, because one died outside my fort and it had like 9 shovels of bronze and iron, silver gloves, and copper spear throwers. my armory is now full of shovels and shrapnel from the bones of moose(meese?).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:50:50 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »

probably, i think it would keep what you named him and all his stats, or it should. also, i learned you could use kobold migrants as meatsheilds armed with shovels while your good soldiers protect the people running to hiding. are caravans supposed to have so many weapons, because one died outside my fort and it had like 9 shovels of bronze and iron, silver gloves, and copper spear throwers. my armory is now full of shovels and shrapnel from the bones of moose(meese?).

Hmm, I'm not sure on the nickname but the rest is correct(and a bit to add). Any adventurer can immigrate to a fortress (seems to only let same race adventurers and not mixed :/) as long as they are a member of the civilization. They keep all stats, name, items, etc. , and they can bring family they acquired during world progression. also, any interactions they learned during their life comes with them so if you had a dwarf learn re-animate, fireball, and say transform into dragon, they would move into the fort with those spells (warning: assign them to non-work related duties, I.E. far away from crypts, people, animals, and important stores of beer and items). I'm still somewhat seeing what all is possible and im still doing a good amount of research on it -3- oh and i tend to lurk more these days
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26