Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622027 times)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2325 on: October 03, 2014, 02:04:11 am »

Is parrying better more reliable than dodging, and how is it different from blocking (besides, you know, the shield :P )
What skills are trained when parrying?
It depends. With every fight move, you are training fighter skill. When blocking using your shield/buckler, you are traininig shield, when parring, your weapon skill.

Does drinking blood off your clothes/weapons/etc help with dehydration?
No, but it's moving efects, like curses. Licking is usualy moderate good way to take off bad liquids from your body, like acids, bad rains etc...

PS: In game, hiding under tress doesn't prevent raining on you :(
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 03, 2014, 07:53:30 pm »

How long does it take for an 'army on the march' to arrive? I was liberating the hillocks and forts held by the goblin civ that my dwarven civ is at war with when I heard that there was an army on the march to Gifttome, the last site held by that civ. So, I quickly ran home and I guess they already got the news because there were refugees outside, but the army hadn't arrived yet. I'm trying to wait for the army so I can take part in the sites defense.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:32 pm »

You should try to keep a copy of your save and move to the army actual home to see if you're not facing yet another case of "army can't get there and so sleep forever" bug that is plaguing this new world army system.
Because unfortunately so far all the armies i found on world maps were sleeping in their tent and never woke up.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »

I made the backup and am trying to look around on that one. The problem though is that the home dark tower is mostly surrounded by dark pit sites, so, I haven't found any sleeping army just yet. Plenty of long range patrols and ambush groups though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14:12 pm »

I made the backup and am trying to look around on that one. The problem though is that the home dark tower is mostly surrounded by dark pit sites, so, I haven't found any sleeping army just yet. Plenty of long range patrols and ambush groups though.
Im actually on my way to try to figure out that sort of thing, myself.  I have obtained verification that an army is in a particular region, but not where.  Its a big region.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:12 am »

Sometime i wonder if those "long range patrol" aren't what DF consider as an army.
I remember in some of my DF2014 fortress , seeing an "army of darkness" being only made of a ridiculous 4 or 5 goblins (that usually retreat as soon as they come) so i think those 1 gob patrol could be that "army" that threaten whole cities and have them cowering in fear.

The definition of what is worth to be named an "army" is very loose apparently in DF2014.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:54 am »

Got my guy killed while ransacking a goblin occupied fort, so, I genned a quick adventurer for the same civ. Two weeks later, the army is STILL on the march, so, I belive that the army is stuck somewhere since this site is in an inaccessible mountain valley that is closed off. There is another refugee group, or maybe it's the same one, which left 'just before' the army descended on the site, yeah, two weeks, maybe a month before.

There's another group not far to the north which I belive is another refugee group (my previous adventurer knew the leader of that group, so it's from the fort), but they're just sort of hanging out over there.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 04, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »

Sometime i wonder if those "long range patrol" aren't what DF consider as an army.
I remember in some of my DF2014 fortress , seeing an "army of darkness" being only made of a ridiculous 4 or 5 goblins (that usually retreat as soon as they come) so i think those 1 gob patrol could be that "army" that threaten whole cities and have them cowering in fear.

The definition of what is worth to be named an "army" is very loose apparently in DF2014.
It depends, it's pretty random, sometimes armies have 30-60 people. During atack they are divined into smaller groups 5-7 gobos.  Then coins is fliped... Actual fight is not implemented yet.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 04, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »

Actual fight is not implemented yet.
You mean in adventure mode an "army" will never actually attack a city/castle when you're told that an army is coming ?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 04, 2014, 03:49:33 pm »

You mean in adventure mode an "army" will never actually attack a city/castle when you're told that an army is coming ?
Building on that, I tracked down and killed the guy who was supposed to be the leader of an army.  Do I win, and where do I go to collect my prize?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »

Maybe, the same civ seems to have sent an army like, three times at the isolated dwarven fort during the whole time adventuring in this world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 04, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

Has anybody else like, EVER encountered the 'midmap coordinate effective check out of bounds' error crash? It seems like I'm the only one who is getting this thing, and it's 1000% reproducible for me, it just happens randomly.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1680

Aelund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

Hey, I guess my question belongs here: What could cause my companions to turn on me? I was a human(demigod if that matters, I'm new to adventure mode and want to get used to controls and not die constantly), and I had 3 human companions. I went to a lair where I was supposed to kill a something-cave crawler, but when I got there, I couldn't find it anywhere, then, as I was about to give up searching and move on, my 3 companions suddenly turned hostile and started attacking me. Actually, only 2 of them attacked the second one just stood there watching. I managed to kill them both, and since the third one was still doing nothing I decided to leave him there. Later, I recruited 3 new followers and continued on my adventure only to be struck down by a night creature. I checked my hero's history in the legend mode and it had this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm curious as to what does that mean and what can cause it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:45 am »

Ok so I like using my enemies for dart practice and I was wondering if there was a way to pull the random assorted knifes out of them to throw them at them again
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 05, 2014, 03:33:11 am »

No, they are comming and atacking; sometimes. Some armies are sometimes sleeping for ever, but most of them are going to city and Their job is just calculated by fliping coin for every squad after They start fighting. They actualy do not fight, they standing, and after some time game is using random() to determine if They win on failed. This way armies of 16 are conquering whole towns. Sometimes they are camping for ever in some place. I think this is just a bug, but it can be caused by killing They liders (blinking persons).

Hey, I guess my question belongs here: What could cause my companions to turn on me? I was a human(demigod if that matters, I'm new to adventure mode and want to get used to controls and not die constantly), and I had 3 human companions. I went to a lair where I was supposed to kill a something-cave crawler, but when I got there, I couldn't find it anywhere, then, as I was about to give up searching and move on, my 3 companions suddenly turned hostile and started attacking me. Actually, only 2 of them attacked the second one just stood there watching. I managed to kill them both, and since the third one was still doing nothing I decided to leave him there. Later, I recruited 3 new followers and continued on my adventure only to be struck down by a night creature. I checked my hero's history in the legend mode and it had this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm curious as to what does that mean and what can cause it.
They was hating you for some reason. Meybe you killd They friends before? Meybe They famili or townfolks? Hate is growing over time, it's not kicking instanty. If you are spending time in game, They emotions towards you is calculated and when They hateness grow enough, They are canceling agreements in violent way... They just atacking you. Sometimes during sleep, sometime short after, sometime just during traveling. Once my bowman shoot me into my back during fight agains zombies, as i checked later, i killd his only doughter by accident (i wanted stole her money, but when you are runing with high speed sometime game is converting it to random atack move, like charge kick into face). This is how third sword of Craftplay died. First arrow just caused high pain, but second one hit into ankle... He lost his speed and corpses just swarmed him.   Traitor was killed short after...
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 327