Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1829375 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18105 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:14 pm »

Still too likely to get tangled on something. Much better solution would be to cut yourself and leave an easily-followed trail of blood in the water.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18106 on: September 19, 2017, 01:15:18 pm »

A Trail o' Treats.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #18107 on: September 19, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »

Whilst a literal rope is a terrible idea, line laying is standard I believe.

That said, cave and wreck diving has far greater hazards than just getting lost. Primarily equipment malfunction/snagging and getting physically stuck. Likewise for wrecks.

Basically, cave divers are typically insane to some degree regardless :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18108 on: September 19, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »

Cave spelunkers are scary enough like it what with them squeezing through tiny spaces and cracks and tunnels too small for actual humans to get through. I can even imagine the things that might draw a person to do that but underwater. I have a hard enough time unwrapping myself from my sheets in the morning!
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18109 on: September 19, 2017, 05:21:05 pm »

Cave spelunkers are scary enough like it what with them squeezing through tiny spaces and cracks and tunnels too small for actual humans to get through. I can even imagine the things that might draw a person to do that but underwater. I have a hard enough time unwrapping myself from my sheets in the morning!
Reminds me of how US soldiers in the Vietnam war had to clear Vietcong tunnels in person. Cramming burly murricans in claustrophobic tunnels full of booby-traps and angry soldiers hiding behind clay walls had a tendency to break even the most hardened veteran, by contrast many of the Vietcong grew up playing childhood games in the tunnels and so the tl;dr is tunnel snakes rule

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18110 on: September 19, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »

I kinda imagine any of those ways of dying is a bit like trying to sleep when in pain. At first it's awful and unpleasant and painful and you can't stand it, but comes a moment of acceptance, where you can still feel the pain and acknowledge the pain, but it becomes detached and abstract, almost peaceful. And then nothingness.

May have put more thought into that than is healthy, though.

Hey, so I go into sleep every night whilst also in pain, (maimed my hand previously) and I've almost drowned before, and I can state definitively that they're nothing alike. Drowning, whatever anyone says, is a panicky, terrifying affair. Even as you calm down physically and accept that you're going to die, your body is FREAKING THE FUCK OUT WITH SHEER TERROR. You think, "Oh god, I'm going to die, please no... But it's so quiet under here..." Whilst your body shrieks at you to MOVE OR DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO GET AIR.

Sleeping with pain is more like, "Ah, fuckin'... So sore. Try to relax. Uggggh. REeeeeeelax. Okay, getting tired... How are baseballs made...? -sleep-"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18111 on: September 19, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »

Hush you, let me have my ideation.

I was thinking more pain as in that time I managed to go "Am I having a heart attack? Oh god I think I'm having a heart attack. Pain pain pain I'll just get to sleep, and if I wake up I'm fine and it not then hey, not my problem pain pain pain weird detached pain sleep." (FYI, wasn't a heart attack xD)

But yeah, I'm aware I imagined it and how it is will obviously differ. Death is never pretty.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:58:09 pm by MorleyDev »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18112 on: September 19, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »

They were pretty lucky to retire mostly intact

Quote from: linked Wikipedia page
violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs

I don't understand why *anyone* would want to be a diver.

Still too likely to get tangled on something. Much better solution would be to cut yourself and leave an easily-followed trail of blood in the water.
Ignoring the many other logistic problems with this idea, that would just attract sharks.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18113 on: September 19, 2017, 05:59:02 pm »

Hey, so I go into sleep every night whilst also in pain, (maimed my hand previously) and I've almost drowned before, and I can state definitively that they're nothing alike. Drowning, whatever anyone says, is a panicky, terrifying affair. Even as you calm down physically and accept that you're going to die, your body is FREAKING THE FUCK OUT WITH SHEER TERROR. You think, "Oh god, I'm going to die, please no... But it's so quiet under here..." Whilst your body shrieks at you to MOVE OR DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO GET AIR.

Sleeping with pain is more like, "Ah, fuckin'... So sore. Try to relax. Uggggh. REeeeeeelax. Okay, getting tired... How are baseballs made...? -sleep-"
I think people have different susceptibilities to fear, panic and under what circumstances they are driven to such lengths. I remember that I felt no fear and after I realized that I couldn't signal for help and that I had no chance of getting any air (betwixt spasmodic attempts at reaching the surface or attempts to signal help) I just drifted, looking for a way out. Curiously I accepted death but felt no fear of it, with the emotion I felt most suitably describing my state of mind as resigned disappointment. I think now were I in the same situation in the sea for example I'd be more energetic, probably more susceptible to panic, but as I couldn't swim back then I guess my survival instincts were doing their best by doing nothing at all. Or in other words, if you are capable of prolonging the inevitable, your instincts are going to try and make you do so. It really was quiet, though that was no comfort, for I couldn't even hear my own screams for help - nothing would escape the water of course, but I think that calm was my instincts getting me to stop and conserve oxygen. The pain was there but the mind just sorted tuned it out, it was only when I was back on land that I noticed that the pain was painful, though I will say breathing in water is much less painful than chest infections (really, breathing in large quantities of water is painful in a manner quite unlike any other pain). Sleeping with pain also varies by the pain and such, cos when you're coughing your way in and out of consciousness or sitting in a hot tub till it turns cold cos you want the vomiting to stop then it all just becomes one very long and painful day that doesn't end, because you're too exhausted to go on yet you're too pained to pass out. 0/10 would rather drown than have that pain
But then again there's the kind of pain caused by physical damage like getting bonked on the head terribly so, and that one is less like a marathon of pain and more like the Soviet Army conducting deep battle operations inside your nerves

I don't understand why *anyone* would want to be a diver.
Well the commercial divers who are contracted to support offshore oil and gas stuff take great risks but get paid a very big deal, so don't have to work many years before they can retire. Mine clearance divers... Ok I have no idea why someone would want to have "I molest seamines for a living" as their job with the occupational hazards of high-pressures, explosions and ocean Fun, but I guess you get the kudos of being one of the most elite divers in the world if you get in. I'm sure it could be the precursor to transferring into a commercial role. Then you've got the divers who area just doing it for fun or sport, or the ones who are instructors teaching others, or the ones who are just photographing fish for NatGeo or science, marine health, environmental conservation and so on. It's pretty damn amazing the world that lies below us

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18114 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:03 pm »

I think people have different susceptibilities to fear, panic and under what circumstances they are driven to such lengths. I remember that I felt no fear and after I realized that I couldn't signal for help and that I had no chance of getting any air (betwixt spasmodic attempts at reaching the surface or attempts to signal help) I just drifted, looking for a way out. Curiously I accepted death but felt no fear of it, with the emotion I felt most suitably describing my state of mind as resigned disappointment. I think now were I in the same situation in the sea for example I'd be more energetic, probably more susceptible to panic, but as I couldn't swim back then I guess my survival instincts were doing their best by doing nothing at all. Or in other words, if you are capable of prolonging the inevitable, your instincts are going to try and make you do so. It really was quiet, though that was no comfort, for I couldn't even hear my own screams for help - nothing would escape the water of course, but I think that calm was my instincts getting me to stop and conserve oxygen. The pain was there but the mind just sorted tuned it out, it was only when I was back on land that I noticed that the pain was painful, though I will say breathing in water is much less painful than chest infections (really, breathing in large quantities of water is painful in a manner quite unlike any other pain). Sleeping with pain also varies by the pain and such, cos when you're coughing your way in and out of consciousness or sitting in a hot tub till it turns cold cos you want the vomiting to stop then it all just becomes one very long and painful day that doesn't end, because you're too exhausted to go on yet you're too pained to pass out. 0/10 would rather drown than have that pain
But then again there's the kind of pain caused by physical damage like getting bonked on the head terribly so, and that one is less like a marathon of pain and more like the Soviet Army conducting deep battle operations inside your nerves

Ah, I get ya. I've known how to swim almost my entire life, barring about four years at the very beginning. (Born with Mammalian diving reflex, must learn2swim immediately, very important) so my body was fully wired to swim to the surface, but I was restrained by another human. I don't exactly want to explain the circumstances, but I was drowning, being forced to drown, and fighting it viciously. I will agree that inhaling water is a pain unlike any other.

Mind you, my hand isn't a constant, dear-lord-if-you-exist-let-me-die-instead pain, more of a intermittent either no pain or extreme pain, slightly short of let-me-die-ism. I've had SADO pain before, but rarely, and thankfully so. When I was swarmed by hornets at a young age was so. I could... I could FEEL the toxins in my heart and limbs, flowing through me and killing me softly. I felt my lungs wheezing and my throat clenching from the apitoxin. I was so agonized I literally couldn't move the entire time I was taken to the hospital, then worked on. It was a deeply enlightening experience, and ever since then, I dedicated myself to learning as much as I possibly could about things that frightened me. Death first, phobias second. I know so much about bees and sharks and drowning and falling too far nowadays, it's ridiculous, but the knowledge helps me deal. I'm generally unflappable as far as fear goes, these days. But I still would never ever cave-dive. Fuuuuuuuck that.

I just hope I never get stung again, cuz they said I'm almost definitely allergic (113 stings on my upper chest, front. They stopped counting then.) and I am sure I would die in wheezing, suffocating agony as my body quickly betrayed me and shut it's primary O2 exchange system down instead of processing a minor amount of apitoxin.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18115 on: September 19, 2017, 06:52:25 pm »

Ah, I get ya. I've known how to swim almost my entire life, barring about four years at the very beginning.
Ottermode activated

Mind you, my hand isn't a constant, dear-lord-if-you-exist-let-me-die-instead pain, more of a intermittent either no pain or extreme pain, slightly short of let-me-die-ism. I've had SADO pain before, but rarely, and thankfully so. When I was swarmed by hornets at a young age was so. I could... I could FEEL the toxins in my heart and limbs, flowing through me and killing me softly. I felt my lungs wheezing and my throat clenching from the apitoxin. I was so agonized I literally couldn't move the entire time I was taken to the hospital, then worked on. It was a deeply enlightening experience, and ever since then, I dedicated myself to learning as much as I possibly could about things that frightened me. Death first, phobias second. I know so much about bees and sharks and drowning and falling too far nowadays, it's ridiculous, but the knowledge helps me deal. I'm generally unflappable as far as fear goes, these days. But I still would never ever cave-dive. Fuuuuuuuck that.
Bees are cool. Wasps, hornets, these are things that cause an irrational HIRBJBJKEEKEKEKEKE response from me. Somethings like a tiger's growl are wired into our monkey brains to be instant nopes

I just hope I never get stung again, cuz they said I'm almost definitely allergic (113 stings on my upper chest, front. They stopped counting then.) and I am sure I would die in wheezing, suffocating agony as my body quickly betrayed me and shut it's primary O2 exchange system down instead of processing a minor amount of apitoxin.
Here's hoping, allergies suck

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18116 on: September 19, 2017, 07:06:56 pm »

Protip: Blow gently on wasps, bees, anything like that, if they get too close. The CO2 in your breathe will generally cause them to think, "Shit, this place is no good." and fly elsewhere. Barring that, stay very still and calm. These two tricks work wonders. Bees are indeed awesome, but wasps and hornets also have their purposes.
He's fucking with us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18117 on: September 19, 2017, 07:35:23 pm »

If you just mind your own business and aren't near their nest, even wasps and hornets usually just ignore you. You're not food, afterall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18118 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:14 pm »

Protip: Blow gently on wasps, bees, anything like that, if they get too close. The CO2 in your breathe will generally cause them to think, "Shit, this place is no good." and fly elsewhere. Barring that, stay very still and calm. These two tricks work wonders. Bees are indeed awesome, but wasps and hornets also have their purposes.
That explains what happened earlier with me and a Bee; it came over to me for the smell of the orange I was eating, but once it got in front of my face it flew away to some flowers. Suppose the opposite advice applies for mosquito-ridden areas. I remember once I had an awful flu in Malaysia that caused me to breathe with slow and shallow breaths, and it was as if I was invisible to the mosquitoes dawn, dusk, day and night

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #18119 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »

No, you need to breathe over areas with good visibility so that the bastards come out where you can see them and you can murder them effectively.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 ... 1420