Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473164 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:29 am »

Stupid skeleton mages.... you've caused me much grief.

If you weren't so damn devastating at times, I'd not bother to keep you around.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 27, 2012, 06:56:54 pm »

Started to play TOME 4. Played a bit with a Dwarf Bulwark, got up to level 12-13, but then kept being murdered by adventuring parties.

Any recommendations for a second character? General tips?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02:11 pm »

Dodge the adventuring parties? Those can be so swingy it's ridiculous. Mix in the limited amount of space you have to fight in, and escaping/hiding is even harder. They can drop some pretty cool gear though.

I'm fond of Cursed and Summoners myself, but the former's kind of difficult, especially in the recent revisions.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:49 pm »

Dodge the adventuring parties? Those can be so swingy it's ridiculous. Mix in the limited amount of space you have to fight in, and escaping/hiding is even harder. They can drop some pretty cool gear though.

I'm fond of Cursed and Summoners myself, but the former's kind of difficult, especially in the recent revisions.

A lot has to do with the weird way the game handles skills

SOME skills are useful right when you put a single point into it but are never worth continual investment.

Others outright REQUIRE you to max them out just to be useful.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

If you don't have much unlocked, give alchemists a whirl; probably a dwarf one. Max out the bomb tree (except shockwave, which is crap), invest a little in golem stuff (at the very least a point or two in resilience and eventually supercharge), bomb everything straight to blazes, channelling staff while your bomb cools down. Max out magic, then con, then will -- the dex suggestion for the class is an outright lie, as explosion expert will eventually get you all the range you need (though do max out alchemist protection before investing in e.expert.). Give the t4 forum (and this thread!) a search and/or browse for more suggestions -- I'd be a bit expansive, but it's an utter bitch to type on an ipad.

You can pretty much coast until level 25-30 on that, without much more consideration.

Also don't be afraid to ask questions and junk in the in-game chat. It's usually pretty friendly, or has been when I was on. Give the t4 forum a look over, too, especially character reports. You can get some good ideas and advice around there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »

A lot has to do with the weird way the game handles skills

SOME skills are useful right when you put a single point into it but are never worth continual investment.

Others outright REQUIRE you to max them out just to be useful.

I miss the old Cursed. I clocked a win on one back around r17 or so. Boost the power of their gloom and you could just walk through anything.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 28, 2012, 05:41:01 am »

Generally the easiest classes are considered Bulwark, Berzerker, Alchemist and Archmage once you unlock it.

Paradox Mage used to be great but took a lot of nerfs because of its association with Temporal Warden, which really makes me sad, because PM is so much more interesting than Archmage, but the Archmage is outright better now. Don't worry PM, you're still the best to me ;(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 28, 2012, 05:51:08 am »

Adventuring parties are better left alone due to the randomness how what you can meet when you decide to fight because either they're easy to kill, or they're going to kill you without you being able to do anything, and losing a very strong character due to that kind of randomness is no fun.

Be sure to have a teleport/phase door rune if you can't avoid those adventuring parties, some of them that are composed of conjurers will focus their spell shots and so will kill you in a turn or two even if you have super high resistance and antimagic (very underpowered skills the last time i played).

Teleporting and hoping you then land next to the exit is the only way to avoid losing a character for those cases.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 28, 2012, 06:31:51 am »

Movement infusion (or preferably two) is generally a lot more reliable for getting out of an advn. party ambush. Just sayin', heh.

Which does screw undead a bit, of course.

As for antimagic, it's a bit better than it used to be, providing you're a willpower primary class. AM shield makes you ridiculously tanky vs nonphysical damage (especially with some resistances backing it up) and the aura can do a pretty good job of shutting casters down, especially in close quarters (i.e. an ambush map). Plus some of the coming AM egos are intensely sexy. Then there's the fungus tree, which is still pretty hilarious after I helped talk DG into nerfing wild growth. You're still gimping yourself a bit taking AM, but it's not quite as shitty as it was, and will be a bit better still in b39.

Re: easy classes, you can add mindslayer to that list (providing you can unlock the bastards, heh. As always, I recommend the easy method, i.e. a text editor), and probably necromancer (ditto the unlock condition). TWs are still fairly ridiculous (ly kite-y), but they have been sequentially toned down for a few versions. Anowhatsits are pretty vicious, too, but the resource management for them is a bit tiresome.
Ask not!
Ask!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 28, 2012, 06:53:54 am »

How do I unlock archmage? And/or to what file do I go to unlock classes with a text editor?
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 28, 2012, 07:29:20 am »

That said, while I've unlocked almost all the classes legitimately (I haven't got around to unlocking paradox magi yet, hum, though I've been through the rift a couple times with TWs), I unlocked them a lot earlier than that by editing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An action I wholeheartedly recommend for everyone, and not so subtly mention just about every time an unlock comes up. I vehemently hate the unlock system :P

T4's good enough I can happily edit my way around it and move on with enjoying the game, heh.

Archmage unlock is to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:32:54 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 28, 2012, 10:37:06 am »

Re: easy classes, you can add mindslayer to that list (providing you can unlock the bastards, heh. As always, I recommend the easy method, i.e. a text editor), and probably necromancer (ditto the unlock condition). TWs are still fairly ridiculous (ly kite-y), but they have been sequentially toned down for a few versions. Anowhatsits are pretty vicious, too, but the resource management for them is a bit tiresome.

Necromancers being easy is an understatement. I was 1st to win with one (on my 2nd try) and it was on roguelike mode. Though, Pro travel is getting nerfed soon. Most classes in TOME4 are overpowered. It's easier to list those that aren't: the afflicted classes, reaver, wyrmic, brawler, and rogue/shadowblade.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 28, 2012, 11:40:38 am »

Wyrmic's getting a pretty huge buff in b39, actually :P

Same way antimagic is -- fungus tree access. Even post nerf, fungus tree is pretty major. It's... basically aegis for regeneration. Or, to put it another way, its fist talent (post-nerf) boosts the heal from regen infusions by a flat out 100% at 5/5.

Corrupted metaclasses are getting a new tree too, but it's more of a boon for corrupters than reavers; the torment tree is also considerably less game changing than fungus. Biggest boon from it is a vim pool increase, though there's some neat stuff in it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 28, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »

Ok, replaying as a Dwarf Bulwark (named Ulrist :P ). Level 12, and only a single death (to slavers). Now what I want to know is how to give items to the mage apprentice or how to give money to the arena in the slaver hideout (it asks for 150 gold to participate in the fight. Now I have the money, but it still don't give me an option to give it in the interaction box)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 28, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »

Mage apprentice specifically has to be an arcane powered artifact -- just bump into the guy and it should give you the option to hand stuff over. The quest info's not been updated to reflect the change yet, iirc, though the initial dialogue has been.

As for the slavers, if you killed the boss critter on that level, the orb won't work. Otherwise, try talking to the critter first, maybe.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 163