Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473133 times)

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »

You could have avoided going there. Anyway, a portal should spawn where the imp boss dies.

Edit:

I'm currently playing a level 20 Dwarf Solipsist on nightmare/roguelike and I must say that this class is a bit... overpowered. It feels like cheating.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:37:15 pm by Dr Feelgood »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:18 pm »

Hm... It's possible. Let me spoiler this, just in case.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were just a few wretches, and I found a pair of randart boots, so supposedly a rare died because of the Fearscape, but there's nothing here at all. Should there be a boss here?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2013, 06:40:00 pm »

I didn't read your new post. If you picked certain dialogue options you could have avoided getting sent there. Yeah, there's an an annoying imp boss that warps around the map.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:51:46 pm by Dr Feelgood »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

Yeah, that's where the shoeimp (I think the proper name's Draemor or something) is. Should be somewhere on the map, killing it opens up a portal.

In addon news, I want to happily point out this. Zizzo, of old time T2 yeek fame, has put out quite a number of little tweak addons that can be pretty useful if you find certain aspects of T4 to be somewhat annoying. This latest one, which I linked, completely bypasses the locks on classes and races, opening up the entirety of the game's core content to whoever wants it. Better, it doesn't mess around with the allow_build or whatever, allowing you to run this alongside a more "pristine", if you will, game in which you accumulate unlocks as you please. Considering how much unlocks annoy me, and how annoying it can be to hunt down the allow_build file, sometimes, I figured folks here might like the heads up :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:46:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

...Well balls. I did choose the other dialogue options on my only other character who got this far and wanted to cheat the system. Go team retard, I guess. So should I park myself in the center and wait for him to come to me?

Oh well, guess I'll do that for a while. Thanks a lot for the answers guys!

edit : Oh jesus fuck I ran around the whole map Earth's Eyes-ing the entire thing, psychoported in the secluded area, stood in the middle of the map rapidly clicking in place for 10 minutes... and now it gave me a message saying the annoying imp is dead and there's a portal... only I haven't even seen the stupid thing. If it's outside the map somehow... god save the queen.

Edit : Yeah how does it feel to get god damn eaten alive Tannen, I bet it ain't so great now is it, huh, am I right or what.

edit : Ok, this is getting a busy post, I know but... I started going into Farportals since I usually never do it, and...

Does that affect anything, or is it just a cool random event?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:39:20 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »

My dwarf solipsist just killed Urkis on nightmare with no lightning resistance or stun immunity. :D

Urkis could only hit me for 0-17 damage for most of the fight. The only thing that slowed me down was Hurricane, which nearly tanked my psi pool. I have the fungus tree now, so I'll probably never run into that problem again.

Does that affect anything, or is it just a cool random event?

Cool random event.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 27, 2013, 03:48:55 am »

So, ah, I picked this up after reading Dr. F's let's play. It's pretty addictive, and much easier (at least for me) to get into than Elona. Second character, alchemist, level 21, is on his last life, but I managed to kill the storm caster guy in the mother of all Pyrrhic victories.

Any protips on making the opening part more streamlined? Sell to a shop you don't need so you won't level lock it is about all I've come up with. I also hope it's not wasteful to breeze through all the low-level dungeons for loot, 'coz I do that too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 27, 2013, 07:10:20 am »

This is a beginner's guide, which I haven't seen, but is supposed to be really good :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajF8PRCNWg
The wiki has some spoilers on the bosses and zones, among others.

I also have compiled a txt file with class advice from the SA forums, which is somewhat detailed. Not for all classes, though, just some. I also haven't credited any posters, because it was meant to be personal, but :

http://pastebin.com/index/GqXnEfcA

It's about 15 pages, feel free to browse through.

edit : Oh wow I... I actually won! Go Crundles the XXVIth, my first win!

http://te4.org/characters/15454/tome/d1b09234-e89a-4e01-bfcb-71ebfb01c586

I suspect the reason I won is because I got obscenely powerful equipment. Well, that and antimagic sword and board wyrmics are insane. I just set my two healing infusions to autouse whenever and I had a constant 200+ regeneration going. Things were bad as far as stun and confusion resistance goes so I died a bit, once pinned between two skeleton master archers while surrounded by minor undead at level 21, once to the Grand Corruptor since she healed from the Fearscape and I couldn't really do anything to her [him? I keep forgetting whether the Grand Corruptor or the inquisitor in Rhaloren camp was a woman] and one more to an assassin in the breeding pit because screw poisons.

I killed both the Grand Corruptor and Protector Myssil eventually, since I figured it was time for a change in Zigur leadership. I got an achievement for eating 20 bosses, and I also saved 30+ slaves in the hidden compound since I always do that. I survived the ork ambush after the master so that was nice, I guess. I saved Melinda without dying which might be first for a character of mine. I also got what I assume is the best possible ending -
, so I'm happy with that, at least.

As I said, lategame wyrmics are insane, and I didn't really know what I was doing, so my gear was suboptimal for large periods of time. At the end I could block-assault/prismatic slash for 2k+ and spit three different breaths for 500 damage each, so the infuriatingly slow killing of enemies got a bit faster.

And for some reason I found wyrmics really boring. I guess because things died really slowly? They should've felt awesome to me - oh wow I eat enemies and spit sand into people's eyes... and at the very late game - 40+ I did really enjoy playing, but before that it was a slog.

So a few questions now - I assume every melee with a shield should use block and counterstrike as much as possible, right? There is no passive blocking, and counterstrike doubles the damage of every ability used on the enemy, not just bump attacks, I assume, since my assault did double damage, but the wording on the ability is odd.

And second - I feel like doing a caster now. I hear Corruptors are the new  thing as far as incredible damage is concerned, but how's their survivability? If I want to kill entire rooms but I prefer to still not keel over after a slight breeze should I go with a Corruptor, or an Archmage?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:44:11 pm by Graven »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 27, 2013, 12:50:31 pm »

Here I was starting to think my skeleton archer was just really really good... but it turns out I somehow triggered the "all damage from any source is zero" bug a couple dungeons ago.

Torn between shelving the character or actually unlocking Necromancers while I still can... :P

I'm certainly not planning to beat the game like this though. Is there any fix for this or is the save file a writeoff?

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »

Congratulations, Graven!

And second - I feel like doing a caster now. I hear Corruptors are the new  thing as far as incredible damage is concerned, but how's their survivability? If I want to kill entire rooms but I prefer to still not keel over after a slight breeze should I go with a Corruptor, or an Archmage?

If you're worried about survivability, then get bone shield, fearscape, and dark portal. Bone Shield will protect you against 7 attacks. Dark Portal is the only escape option corruptors have, so you might as well use it. Fearscape is plain awesome. It's one of the main reasons to play the class imo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:30:52 pm by Dr Feelgood »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:28 am »

Graaaaw.....

Anybody have suggestions on beating Subject Z with a Yeek, so I can unlock mindslayers?

I figured a wyrmic would be the best route, because I can take lightning speed to rush in there before he kills the Wayist, and I can take Nature's Touch to heal the Wayist, *and* I can take that cold attack at lvl 4 and encase Z in ice. One would think these three things in combination would be enough.

Wasn't even close. For one, he puts some nasty DoT on the Wayist, so even with my Nature's Touch heal, the damage after 1-2 turns had erased what I healed.

Tried an archmage, thinking I could nuke Z quickly before the Wayist has a chance to die. Couldn't nuke hard enough. Tried summoner, but my summons can't really do anything to help the Wayist, or disable Subject Z quick enough.

Suggestions?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:58 am »

I saved the yeek from subject Z with a yeek archimage.

At level 4 of the talent that Archimage has, Phase Door allow you to target someone else to phase him around.
Do this immediately when you see the yeek under assault so the poor guy does not get killed quickly.

After that, yeek archimage have powerfull spells that in combination to the ice should get rid of Subject Z.

Something else if you have no access to phase door as a skill/talent (the infusion only phase you) but i never tried is to simply use the rod of recall as soon as your yeek come from the tunnel and do not move until you're teleported out of the dungeon.
This way you should not trigger the yeek vs Subject Z duel (as you're too far) , and can go levelup elsewhere until you think your character is powerfull enough to destroy SubjectZ before he can destroy the poor wayist.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:39:38 am by Robsoie »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:02 am »

.... Both excellent suggestions.

I'd actually be more likely to use Teleport on the Wayist to get him way the hell out of the way, but then he'd likely get slaughtered by some random undead.

The idea about recalling from inside the ruins and coming back later sounds the most legit, because then I can use whatever class I want.

I'll have to try those out this evening.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:14 pm »

If you've unlocked Necromancer, here's another method:

Pump up Invoke Darkness first on the class side and Phase Door on the generic side, and then go for the undead minions talent after that on the class side. When you've cleared out both the ritch pit and Murgol's lair (not too hard, Invoke Darkness is really strong early on), go to the tunnel and slowly walk to the left. The moment you see the Wayist, Phase Door him away to the very end of the room near the entrance as Robsoie has suggested, then summon your minions in front of you to be meatshields and do some damage, before blasting Subject Z with Invoke Darkness (once you've maxed it, it doesn't hurt your minions). Should be an easy unlock, I did it on my first try.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:33 am »

There is some talk about recalling in the ruins not taking you to the main area, but I'm not sure if that is going to be implemented.

However, there is a different reason to do it aside from just leveling to try to save the wayist. If you get to Derth under level 11, you can pick up 2 generic points at the arena. 2 more skill points are always welcome.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 163