Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 51130 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 09:24:54 pm »

Shells for the body of the animal

Mandibles (like an ant) for mouth

I agree weight-bearing tail is distinct from smaller tail (Maybe have 'tail' a separate category from 'two legs and tail' or 'four legs and tail')

Also, if the random creatures have a chance of being usable as domestic (bought from embark/caravan) that would be neat.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »

Shell is covered, somewhat.  Material use will depend on area and type of creature.  Scales are more likely to occur in deserts, and mountain creatures may even be made of stone.  I'll explore these options a lot more when I do a perverse generator.  This one is for tame, regular creatures, not the wild lovecraftian abominations of the chasms.  When I work on those, there will be a lot of interesting creatures...

I can add tails as a "flavor" addition, because it doesn't really change the creature except to add some appearance.  I have a few flavor/function body parts, like horns which add appearance but also add the ability to bash or gore, depending on it the horn is rounded like a ram or pointed like a bull.  However, the creature is more likely to bite, punch, or scratch, so horns are mostly decoration.

Some creatures will be [COMMON_DOMESTIC].  All will be [PET] because let's face it, that's always cool, but some of the more tame creatures will be domestic.  I've got a variable to decide if the creature is aggressive or not.  Aggressive ones are more like wolves, and non-aggressive are more like dogs.  One is easier to domesticate than the other, even though they're very similar.  Some may be untrainable entirely, like very aggressive beasts that actively attack your fort.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:57 pm »

<.<
>.>
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 01:45:13 am »

Should do 8 eyes, for spiders.  I think they often go in a line of 3 up top and 5 below, but that's from memory.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:10 am »

Controlled creation - I had this idea, actually.  I have NO idea how to make a GUI, but a simple command-console UI, I could do with a bit of effort.  It would basically run you through the options of what you want by allowing you to pick body parts from a list, and then define some basic behavior, attack types, value, and material composition.  It'd be a bit more of a challenge, but not outside my ability.

Command-line arguments might be better, to more easily call from an external script. If I want to generate 20 similar creatures, I'd rather call the program with the same parameters from another script than sit there typing Y, N, Y, N, Y, N, N, Y,... in the same order each time  ;D

This looks awesome, by the way!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:47 am »

Recursive mouths- a mouth iside a mouth. repeat as many times before it gets silly.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 08:08:39 am »

8 Eyes - Actually GCS only have 2.  There's no real need for the extras, since it's too hard to poke out an eye to matter.  I mostly included 6 for some more "freakshow" types.

Command Line - I don't know what you mean...  I'm doing this in a command console on C++, so, if someone can make an external script that uses it that's great, but I have no idea how to do this.  I'm doing a VERY simple program that just runs through a series of rand()'s and if's.  Granted, it's a rather long series, but it's still very basic logic gates.

Recursive Mouths - Maybe for the demon version.  I've already got plans to create very evil creatures, like stone golems with functioning organs made of stone (we all remember that one X-Ray scene from Fantastic Four, right?) and multi-limbed freaks with blades for arms, no skin, and faces growing on their back and chest.  The ultimate creatures I think I could make are what I call "Greater Demons".  These are creatures so monstrous they have their own unique body definitions, made from scratch, and can very easily end up with multi-bodied beasts of scouring flesh with arms growing out of mouths and extra arms attached to those arms.  Something like...

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 08:38:13 am »

Arguments can be passed on the command line to a program you're running.

For example:

Code: [Select]
myProgram.exe arg1 arg2
are accessible from within the program like this:

for(int i = 0; i < argc; i++)
      cout << "argv[" << i << "] = " << argv[i] << endl;

That is,

argv[0] is "myProgram.exe"
argv[1] is "arg1"
argv[2] is "arg2"

Edit: assuming, of course, that your main function is something like this:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:44:07 am by ahonek »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:58 am »

Maybe you could add trunks and mandibles for the mouths?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:42 am »

Ah, that sort of command line.  I could, but I'd probably have to figure out how to write that properly.  For now I'm just going for a simple program.

Trunks aren't very useful, honestly.  Any upright creature doesn't need them, they can climb or just reach up, and really only elephants and I think some variant of anteaters has them.  I mean, I can if everyone really wants, but I don't see a huge need.  Mandibles, I will add.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 09:19:40 am »

Tripedal creatures are a must. and creatures which float using gasbags (Actually added one in a mod I'm working on. It's surprisingly easy to set it up so they fall to the ground when you pierce the balloon/gasbag :).)

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:41 am »

Tripedal creatures are a must. and creatures which float using gasbags

Because, you know, no realistic creature generator would be complete without the ability to generate unrealistic creatures.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:54 am »

Tripedal creatures are a must. and creatures which float using gasbags

Because, you know, no realistic creature generator would be complete without the ability to generate unrealistic creatures.

Hey, creatures with gasbags are plausible. And tripeds only require a little stretch of the imagination.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:12 am »

No tripeds this version, but later.

Gas bladders sound cool, but how would these work, chemically?  I think it would be most common in swamps and mashes, with plenty of fun microbes to harvest for methane.  Maybe deserts, using the heat and updrafts to get lift, but that sort of creature sort of requires a "flying sail" design, which is very different from the types I'm allowing right now.  I like the idea though, and making them internal bladders, like dragons were supposed to have to help with their weight, or external like some strange pokemon, could both be used.  Crossbows can pop open bladders, which would eventually heal, and spears can pierce cavities.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 09:36:22 am »

No tripeds this version, but later.

Gas bladders sound cool, but how would these work, chemically?  I think it would be most common in swamps and mashes, with plenty of fun microbes to harvest for methane.  Maybe deserts, using the heat and updrafts to get lift, but that sort of creature sort of requires a "flying sail" design, which is very different from the types I'm allowing right now.  I like the idea though, and making them internal bladders, like dragons were supposed to have to help with their weight, or external like some strange pokemon, could both be used.  Crossbows can pop open bladders, which would eventually heal, and spears can pierce cavities.

Yeah, methane would work. Then there's hydrogen-filled gasbags/gas bladders, which would be even more !!FUN!!...

Branching limbs? Random sounds/calls (Now that those are in)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15