Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702317 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2355 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:34 pm »

Pirates vs. Ninjas is moot because the cops would beat both groups into submission with little trouble at the same time. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: November 22, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »

-snip-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know, it's really rough. I was planning on simply making a rough sketch-out, and then fixing it up later. So don't think that this is anywhere NEAR a finished product.

Yeesh, go work for a day and suddenly I'm way out of date.

All in all looks good to me, though I'd caution that you've set yourself up for a bit of bookkeeping. Not that I'm one to talk, given my first RTD. Point by point critique...

1d8 is fine as a system- in my current RTD - Roll to Deathmatch - I've basically got the same setup. In mine I'm still rolling at d6, but I've got explicit definitions for results 0-7 (highest and lowest only being accessible through modifiers.) Just make sure you define the middling values.

Various abilities have "x uses/battle," which is a good way to go about it if you plan to have clean, segregate encounters (most likely if you're encouraging the party to work together.) If you think it's more likely that each player is gonna go off on their own and get involved in a bunch of running battles, you might want to consider haveing an "x turn cooldown" instead- it depends on how you plan encounters to work, I just mention it as it is something to think about.

The magician stuff needs a bit of "how does magic work in general" before you can judge how well balanced it is, but I will say that Arcane Magistry is somewhat flawed at high level since it is useless if the player normally has access to Tier 3 magics. I'd make a special "Tier 4" that would only be accessible by that feature, or provide some kind of boost to your regular spells in endgame.

Clockwork Mechanism, when the Paladin is in Frenzy and has to attack every round, is that just a straight melee attack or would it count if the player decided he wanted to indirectly attack his foe- knocking down the chandelier, for example.

and slight sidebar,

please DO NOT be afraid to criticize me, even to the point of mocking. It will only make me better if you point out all flaws.

Although it is true that pointing out the flaws in what you've got will help you make better rules, mocking is still not OK. Criticism is constructive- Mockery is destructive. Don't assume we need to tear you down in order to tear down your ideas, and don't assume that because we've torn your ideas down you should go sit in the shame corner.

RE: Pirates v Ninjas- my stance on this matter is well known (yo-ho!) but like many internet arguments it largely depends on your assumptions, chiefly fantasy/realism and setting. "Pirates on a boat" vs "Ninjas on a boat" is no contest, and neither is "Pirates occupying feudal Japan" vs "Ninjas liberating feudal Japan." I do loves me some terrain modifiers.

Hah, sorry about that. Didn't mean to overwhelm you with my idiocy...don't worry about the bookkeeping part, I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. I have a bit of OCD, which means I tend to type down anything of even the slightest importance.

The players will be participating in battles together, it's kind of a led game; - They have a path, but that path has options. It's not linear, but it's not sandbox either. Kind of hard to explain, but thanks for the tip! It's in my notes as of now. And you're right, the Arcane Magistry is kinda underwhelming right now. I think I'll take that idea of yours, it seems to work pretty good! I was planning on having the magic system simple, with Tier 1 and 2 being the all-around "Magic", and Tier 3 being extremely powerful, yet extremely costly spells. Most Magician's wouldn't be able to cast a Tier 3 spell without the help of Arcane Magistry, unless they had some strong enchanted items to disenchant for their energy, or very rare Reagents. I like your idea more though, to be honest.

I should have labelled it right, but yes, the Clockwork Mechanism Frenzy let's the player do anything that relates to attacking the enemy. This means they can't defend themselves (I mean as in go into a defensive state, not stripping their defense), or casting healing spells and whatnot. A bonus, yet a downside as well...

I see your point...I'm used to having people shred my ideas and call me out to get T-bagged, so I didn't really know what to expect...I tend to take the safe road, no matter what. Thanks for the reassurance although! I'll try better next time, heh.

Thanks for all your help, and I'll make sure to spam you again when I have a bit more typed out. You're an awesome person, don't ever forget that! If you ever need help (Lol, right...Like that'll happen!), don't be afraid to call me into servitude! I owe it to you.

So, glad to see that the glaring flaws and horrible kinks are worked out, time to watch some Gintama!

@SeriousConcentrate: Oh lawdy. That's...Wow. You sure think out of the box, don't you? xD.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: November 22, 2011, 08:16:36 pm »

On both the anime and Pirate vs. Ninja topics, Nanoha could just blast both of them into the ground.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2358 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »

I'd like to see one of those academy award-winning period piece movies about racism in 20th century America, the triumph of the human spirit, etc...

...Only instead of Caucasians and African-Americans it would be Pirates and Ninjas. And the film would take itself entirely seriously from beginning to end.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »

I don't know who that is.

*Tvtrope* A magical girl, okay.

But what about... robots?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:22:08 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »

Yeah, I'm sort of v(._.)>[MEH] right now 'cause I don't have the cash for Saints Row 3 and I might not for awhile. :\ ANYWAY! On topic: Since the last time I reported on the FE RTD progress, Taric's been a great help for hashing out magic and talking me out of unnecessary work; I had planned to add some weapon types but really it's not necessary and kind of upsets the balance the game already had, so between making mounts special equipment and needing to make less weapons things should go faster.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:56 pm »

I don't know who that is.

*Tvtrope* A magical girl, okay.
Yeah, thats just the first person I could think of, since SC brought up the Saints Row cops. Would be much more interesting to have Fate from the same show vs a ninja instead though, since both are quick and have a sword.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: November 22, 2011, 08:27:31 pm »

a lot of things are quick and have a sword. Samurai. Anime heroes. bad fanfiction heroes. my grandmother. Not really that uncommon.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

On both the anime and Pirate vs. Ninja topics, Nanoha could just blast both of them into the ground.
...Point. Still gotta play Magical Battle Arena just so that I can have her fight Lina Inverse

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: November 22, 2011, 08:33:08 pm »

How the hell did this thread fly so bloody far off-topic? I mean...What? Where are the mods? I would be expecting bans left and right! Hell, I was muted for a week by doing general dickery, and doesn't that apply here?

And, also: My parent's are horrible. They gave my 9-year-old sister a glass of champagne! I can't see the appeal of alcohol, that stuff is nasty. This is child abuse, and I don't like it...Anybody agree with me?

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »

What's "off-topic"? :V

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: November 22, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »

The RTD forum generally polices itself and we're pretty mellow, so no worries about that. As for your parents, uh. Maybe they're trying to put her off alcohol by giving her some? I don't know how champagne tastes 'cause I don't often drink, but when I do, it's Kentucky Bourbon and coffee. Keep posting your RTD ideas my friends.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: November 22, 2011, 08:37:20 pm »

What's a "mod?" :P

FAKEEDIT DAMN YOU NINJAS!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: November 22, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »

Theres only two Mods on Bay12, except for a third one in the Curses forum, Dave. As long as we get back to the topic eventually, its not really a problem unless people need to report something.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: November 22, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »

Theres only two Mods on Bay12, except for a third one in the Curses forum, Dave. As long as we get back to the topic eventually, its not really a problem unless people need to report something.
You forget of the Phantom Moderator, for he shall return one day to seek revenge upon the unworthy.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 661