Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702345 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Either. They might work together or apart. There would be a plot, but I would aim for minimum railroading. Players could easily work against the other players for their own ends.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

So would it be political intrigue or military based. Although those tend to overlap.

I just got an idea for a 50 BC ish RTD.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Made a few changes to this- I'd spoiler it, but the forum doesn't deal with nested Spoilers very well.

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: General Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GMWS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virtues and Vices (click to show/hide)

Things to do: Actually map the Mansion (Observatory, Library, Kitchen, Dining Hall, Bedrooms... more stuff, look at a Clue board or something! Suggestions welcome) figure out pacing/flow of the game, and last but not least, PLOT.

Aside from the minor things, the big changes here are XP and Virtue/Vices. Basically, I was thinking of how to encourage the players to do things OTHER than investigate evil and barricade themselves in the kitchen- free RP is all well and good, but actual mechanics are better. It also avoids some of the QuickSandbox problem where players that can do anything don't know what to do, and so accomplish nothing.

As far as death/waitlisters, I think I'm going with "if anyone dies, the family loses" and we skip forward a year or five to the next family. Hopefully this will foster some teamwork :P

Any comments/suggestions? The only niggling issue is whether I should think of a skill tree for levelups, but I think I'll just make it up on the spot when needed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Still loving that idea, Monk. :)

Actually, I had a possibly-somewhat-similiar idea the other day when trying to think of RTD ideas that fit with the usual RTD acronym... Roll To Demolish, or Roll To Demolish The Haunted House.
Basically what it says on the tin, the players would be a demolitions crew knocking down and bulldozing an ancient, creepy old mansion that's been left disused for years in some prime residential area.

Your crew has been brought in especially by the developers for the job, since for some reason none of the locals would do it despite a hefty paycheck...

I haven't really put any more thought into it since I doubt I could pull something with so much potential off, but hey, just throwin' it out there.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

As far as death/waitlisters, I think I'm going with "if anyone dies, the family loses" and we skip forward a year or five to the next family. Hopefully this will foster some teamwork :P

Any comments/suggestions? The only niggling issue is whether I should think of a skill tree for levelups, but I think I'll just make it up on the spot when needed.

Excellent idea about death, Monk. Excellent. I think you should just make up the skills as you go and give players a small choice.

I wish I could find time to run my rtds AND start another one.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I think death should be handled like this - when somebody dies, they are "consumed by evil" and become one of the monsters, with an appropriately changed appearance or abilities. That way, dead players would have something to do (such as tormenting their former compatriots) and you wouldn't have to immediately end the current round with a single player's death. Plus, it would help to quicken the approach of the end of the round via player death.

After all, what kind of horror movie is it where nobody dies?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

I think death should be handled like this - when somebody dies, they are "consumed by evil" and become one of the monsters, with an appropriately changed appearance or abilities. That way, dead players would have something to do (such as tormenting their former compatriots) and you wouldn't have to immediately end the current round with a single player's death. Plus, it would help to quicken the approach of the end of the round via player death.

Maybe dead players of one round could choose to continue in the next as enemies?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Maybe dead players of one round could choose to continue in the next as enemies?

Maybe they could play a sort of suggestion game as the house's horrors with the GM. Coming up with horrible things and all that.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Haven't had time to read the rest, but this looks like it could get frustrating rather quickly. Depends on how long rounds are supposed to go normally, I suppose.

In unrelated news, I've been thinking about either reviving Outcast Power or starting up a new mage game. Thoughts on either?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I- you-...

What, are you stuck in a temporal loop with yourself? You just started another mage themed god game thingy.

(Which I probably won't be participating in because screw god type games. And sandboxes.)

Anyway Define 'mage game'. If it has too many words my eyes will glaze over and I shall look elsewhere.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Both seem like fun, but do you have any ideas for a new one?

If it has too many words I'll read it intently because it'll likely give me more and more ideas.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I- you-...

What, are you stuck in a temporal loop with yourself? You just started another mage themed god game thingy.

(Which I probably won't be participating in because screw god type games. And sandboxes.)

Anyway Define 'mage game'. If it has too many words my eyes will glaze over and I shall look elsewhere.
Yeah, but that's more of a 4x fantasy strategy-themed god game. It doesn't even have an experience system.

When I say "mage game," I mean what most of my games are. You're a mage, then this happens:

[3-4] The ground cracks asunder and neon tentacles reach out to grab you.

You are now paralyzed, blind, and dying. You gain 14 exp. You are now an Adept Summoner!

Also screw god games and sandboxes? What is wrong with you.

In fact, I should make a visual novel RTD just for you. :P

Both seem like fun, but do you have any ideas for a new one?

If it has too many words I'll read it intently because it'll likely give me more and more ideas.
Still thinking on that.

One idea was to make the players rather naval. They start off with their own ship, or at least in an area where travel by sea is the norm, an then go off and have adventures wherever they end up. Possibly on a frontier, so everyplace they visit can be utterly bizarre and filled with cannibals.

Another thing, which I'm not sure if I'm sold on yet, is having a more through list of critter stats. I wonder if having a list of, say, goblin warriors or wolves or undead templates would help give the world more substance and give the players more comparison, since they can say "Oh, yeah, that place is infested with goblins, I know what goblins are/do" or "Oh, yeah, I could probably take down a wolf fairly reliably, that's how tough I am."

Also vaguely reconsidering my spell level system. Traditionally your bonus to rolls is [Skill - Level], but I wonder what [Skill / Level] would look like? Probably just bulkier and less responsive, but I might want to think about it, especially since people tend to have difficulty distinguishing between a level 2 and 3 spell in my games anyway, plus there's usually some leeway, so maybe it is too granular...

Finally, still thinking about the specifics of the world as it relates to the players. How much civilization should there be, how much plot, how much sandbox, how much railroading, that sort of thing.

Of course, some of this applies to reviving Outcast Power also.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

I've decided to continue my work on my Roll To Dodge game.
Transformation Trouble!
A Game Of Changes!
Spoiler:  Character sheet (click to show/hide)
I also decided on my wound system
Spoiler:  Permanent scaring (click to show/hide)
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I should note that the round doesn't immediately end when a family member dies- it just means that even if they survive/escape/thwart evil, the players still lose their spots to the next players on the waitlist after the current threat is resolved, presumably leaving the Mansion at the first opportunity to mourn their loss/find foster parents/live with wolves in the forest.

In fact, I should make a visual novel RTD just for you. :P

DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT

Also, I do like the idea of a more thorough bestiary like you described, and it's the kind of thing I'd tell myself to do because it's a good idea but never get around to because it's a lot of work.

@ Roll to Twit  lololol
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 661