Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702538 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Finally this combo better not be your current avatar, because Jesus Christ.

He can't save you now! I'm so happy Irony! So happy! And soon you will be too!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:08:16 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Already? What happened to the Golden Dragon one?
Hah, that's still alive, it's just been clubbed by RO2 for the moment. I'll get on that soon...
Good to hear. I was enjoying the staring contests.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

So how much player input does the combat system take? Is it round by round decision making, or is it "reevaluate your course of action whenever you take damage"?

Also, I don't consider the Platemail to be an odd fit for the high STR guy you posited- he's using equipment to cover his weaknesses, same as the weak guy using better weapons.

I'm a fan of "generic lumps of XP, spend as you will" for games like this

I think food could be a useful limiter on total time in dungeon, even if many of the early dungeon runs end due to the need for healing.

I'm particularly intrigued by the Town idea- I think there's a lot of potential there for an interesting metagame. Ideally, your exploits in bettering your house would have a direct impact on doing better on subsequent dungeon runs. Upgrading your house with an Alchemist's lab you use to make healing potions, which you sell to other players and/or take with you on your next run, that sort of thing. The whole thing kinda screams for a sweet crafting system to me.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

So how much player input does the combat system take? Is it round by round decision making, or is it "reevaluate your course of action whenever you take damage"?
This was the other reason I wanted special abilities- combat is too linear at the moment.

Also, I don't consider the Platemail to be an odd fit for the high STR guy you posited- he's using equipment to cover his weaknesses, same as the weak guy using better weapons.
But this means all your paladins will be wearing sinister-looking leather and wicked daggers, while your assassins will be wearing shining platemail and carrying a tower shield. :P

I'm a fan of "generic lumps of XP, spend as you will" for games like this

I think food could be a useful limiter on total time in dungeon, even if many of the early dungeon runs end due to the need for healing.
Noted.

I'm particularly intrigued by the Town idea- I think there's a lot of potential there for an interesting metagame. Ideally, your exploits in bettering your house would have a direct impact on doing better on subsequent dungeon runs. Upgrading your house with an Alchemist's lab you use to make healing potions, which you sell to other players and/or take with you on your next run, that sort of thing. The whole thing kinda screams for a sweet crafting system to me.
I was originally thinking the major buildings- inns, blacksmithies, alchemist's shops- would be either cooperative projects or the sort of thing one person makes on their own and then makes money off of, but a more Skyrim-style crafting-stations-in-your-house type thing could work too. The main issue being what happens until you get a house with a forge and tannery and distillery and torture chamber and scriptorium and swimming pool.

Of course, I was planning on using DF-style measurement costs for buildings, meaning making your house on top of your alchemist's shop could save you a floor/roof in materials.

Speaking of sweet crafting systems, though, what exactly did you have in mind?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need some help/insight on some problems from a decently experienced GM. If someone might be interested, please pm me.

also i cannot accept any of the players that are in my RTD with this issue. Sorry guys :(
Durrr..

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

That's unfortunate.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I don't see why you would need to PM rather than post here. ???
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I don't see why you would need to PM rather than post here. ???
Plot sensitive information, probably.

Spoiler: Roll to dive (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Possible modules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes on damage system (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:55:55 pm by 10ebbor10 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Question
« Reply #5873 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:09 am »

I have a genuine question which may well have a bearing on my next rtd.

In Magnificent Timelord, I have a selection of historical figures doing exciting things.

I wonder what people's thoughts are regarding making up a totally new character vs the restriction of interpreting a real person?

I am considering the rtd I will want to run after my current two are finished, and wondered how much people like to make an entirely new character within the confines of the character sheet vs the (possibly crutch-y) comic value of "real" people doing ridiculous yet exciting things.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I wonder what people's thoughts are regarding making up a totally new character vs the restriction of interpreting a real person?
I tend to prefer completely fresh characters, but I'm not opposed to the occasional RamboLincoln or similar. I doubt I'd particularly want to play one, though; I can't think of any figures I'd want to play straight, and if I'm just winging it anyway, why claim he's actually Stalin?

Note that I never got into Magnificent Timelord, though, so I might not be the type of player you're looking for anyway.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply, IO.

I was leaning heavily towards fresh characters for my current idea.

Really though my best idea would be to be able to just stop GMing, but I can't seem to not have at least one rtd on the go whilst thinking about at least two more. Gah.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Alright, so I'm currently working on classes/abilities for Roguelike Minecraft RTD, and I'm running into both practical issues and problems with the way things work in general.

Specifically, I'm still not positive how I want classes and their associated abilities to work. I still like the notion some games have where a character can level and then switch classes, and then either get some benefit out of mastering a class or even gain the ability to use or equip some of said class' abilities, but I'm not sure how that would/should work in this case.

For instance, I've considered giving each class a number of levels (currently and arbitrarily 6), which are purchased with exp and grant a given ability each level (or purchasing the next ability in the tree increases your level, or level is how far you are in the linear skill tree, depending on how you want to think of it). I've also considered just starting with 2 abilities, and indeed currently I have some prototype classes laid out with a major/minor ability for each.

In either case, assuming multiclassing is possible, presumably mastering a class would give you some benefits even while not of that class; either some sort of static bonus or always-useable ability, or the ability to use abilities from any class you have experience in. Presumably in the latter case, I'd need to divide abilities into different slots depending on what they do so you can't be all classes at once, but then again, especially if you're spending exp to increase abilities rather than stats, maybe you really could be a paladin-necromancer-rogue-jester-chef-ninja all at once.

All that aside, I do have some very rough prototypes of the classes, and even a very rough system for how classes operate:

ClassRoleJobFirst SkillSecond Skill
KnightTankAbsorb damage, protect alliesLureDamage Reducer
AssassinBruiserDeal damage, be defensively competentDamage MoveDefensive Move
SorcererGlassDeal massive damage, be horribly squishyDamage Move/AoE DamageAoE Damage Move/AoE Damage
PriestBufferAid AlliesDefensive BuffOffensive Buff
NecromancerDebufferHinder EnemiesOffensive DebuffDefensive Debuff

Any comments on this proposed setup would be appreciated. I'm currently leaning/designing towards both of these abilities being available from the start and not especially planning with any further abilities in mind, but the former could change and the latter almost certainly will.

More specifically, the prototype classes, as well as notes concerning them, are as follows:

Spoiler: Class Ramblings (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I have a basic framework down but the details are a mess. Any feedback on anything about this would be appreciated.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Yikes. That's a lot of green notes.

That sub game looks fun. I'd almost like to see a team based deathmatch between sub teams...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Sorry, looks okay, but personally I don't like 'necromancers' that can't actually use death magic. Necromancers that only use negative magic sort of annoy me.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Sorry, looks okay, but personally I don't like 'necromancers' that can't actually use death magic. Necromancers that only use negative magic sort of annoy me.
Hmm, I thought there was a general consesus that non-death necromancers were just wannabe black mages?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 661