Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702535 times)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I was thinking up an RTD (YOLO), and came up with The Hipster RTD (Because Roll to Hipster is way too mainstream).
Basically, you work to achieve as many S.W.A.G points (Super Wonky Acronym Gifts), starting at 3. Either the first person to reach 10 Swag wins, or it could give you bonuses to your rolls, and have another sort of goal in mind. It doesn't matter, because I won't be running it anyway. I'm handing in my GM handkerchief for now. Anyway, get to zero swag and you become a mainstream normie.
Gain swag by doing hipster things (Naming them exactly's too mainstream), and lose it by generally being mainstream.
Anyone can host this if they like and add any mechanics, or even give some advice about how horribly wrong this is.
@Sean: I've seen waaaay more complicated things. Looks good!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I decided to scrap skills entirely in the Madoka RTD. They were just ending up as more niche attributes, so I decided it was better to just add a couple into the base attributes and give out a few more attribute points.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Now, I haven't really heard of any RTDs running with this idea yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were any. Still, here we go:

The Path of the Master: a Martial Arts RTD!

As the sun rises over the landscape of picturesque, mystical Nebraska and its endless prairie, many a wandering soul is entering the state. What their purpose here is, nobody knows but they. However, they would soon leave an indelible mark on the history of the state, as each of them wields an arsenal of deadly weapons never seen before in real life by the average Nebraskan, though none of them carry anything but the clothes on their back. All of these unusual people, though they are hardly aware of it themselves, have been drawn here by the same goal. Nebraska, you see, is a magical, sacred place for them, as it represents a nexus in the mysterious flow of Chi that is inextricably intertwined with the force of life itself. And this Chi is something they intend to harness, whether through meditation, mortal combat or some other fashion, in order to become the deadliest martial arts master in the known universe!

So the idea is, each of you is a Martial Arts Master of a Style of your own creation. They can be of all sorts, and each Style has a certain number of Techniques, which can do any number of things. In addition, each Technique is tied into one of your Martial Arts Master Stats. To get a better idea of this, look within the spoilers.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Styles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Techniques (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: HP and Fatigue (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Students and Teaching (click to show/hide)

Whew. Got carried away there. Opinions?

And The Hipster RTD sounds like an interesting idea, though I'm not sure it would last long after the initial novelty of the gimmick wears off. Maybe the hipsters could go on an authentic Hipster Quest to make it more worthwhile? Like, I dunno, a quest for the Record Nobody Has Ever Heard Of a.k.a. the Harbinger of the Hipster Event Horizon, a music album by an indie garage band so awful and avant-garde, the gods chose to eliminate its existence across every timeline so that nobody would have heard of it, though closely-guarded hipster legends say it can be found in the darkest recesses beyond the confines of mainstream spacetime?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:08:50 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I'd play.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'd play if I'd be allowed to have a style where I made Bill Cosby noises while fighting.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I'd play if I'd be allowed to have a style where I made Bill Cosby noises while fighting.

Far be it from me to deny one their right to make Bill Cosby noises while doing anything. Heck, you could make an entire Bill Cosby Style. I, for one, would love to see the techniques for that one.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

PUDDING POP PUNCH!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I'd so definitely play a game about being a martial arts master wandering the corny wastelands of Nebraska.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been thinking of an rtd based on The Mist for awhile now. I'm not sure how it would work though. For those not aware of The Mist, here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist It seems semi adaptable to the format, and I thought someone else might like the concept too.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

It would work quite well the Methamorphica, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 661