Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699507 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7320 on: November 17, 2013, 12:37:24 am »

I'm actually using a growing die size in my Build a Village game (which I need to update) where the "fail" is a 2, and people have a default skill of 4.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7321 on: November 17, 2013, 01:28:29 am »

There is the progressive system made by Sean Mirrsen, but it doesn't transfer over well to real dice. It defines roll results by Epic Fail, Fail, Half Success, Success Perfect Success, and Overshot. This is copy pasted from Multiworld Madness 2. Size of the die used depends on stat/skill value.
Quote from: PROGRESSIVE ROLL RULES
For every Action a Player submits, the Game Master rolls a die to determine its outcome.
The number of sides on the die rolled is determined by the value of the skill or attribute assigned to performing said Action.
The outcomes are selected from a predetermined list, sorted by severity:
Epic Fail(EF): The intended result was not achieved, and the character suffers additional problems as a consequence.
Failure(F): The intended result was not achieved, but no further complications occur.
Partial Success(PS): The result is only partially achieved, with exact degree determined circumstantially by GM.
Success(S): The result is achieved, though the character may suffer unintended consequences.
Epic Success(ES): The result is achieved, and any consequences turn out positively for the character.
Overshot(OS): The result is nominally achieved, but the character suffers consequences from intentionally or unintentionally "overdoing" the action.

The table of outcomes is determined thus:
(Die Value):[Roll Value]-Outcome;

(D1):[1]-Epic Fail.
(D2):[1]-EF;[2]-Fail.
(D3):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-Partial Success.
(D4):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-Success.
(D5):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Overshot.
(D6):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Epic Success;[6]-OS.

Above (D6), the outcome table is expanded by padding Success outcomes in between Partial and Epic Successes.
Thus, for instance, a roll of (D10) will look like this:

(D10):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4-8]-S;[9]-ES;[10]-OS.

As a rule of thumb, the severity of the overshots and epic fails will depend on the value of the die being rolled - so getting a [5] out of a (D5) is a much milder overshot than a [10] out of a (D10).
Increasing die size is worth less each time, but still increases success rate. I'd assume with competing rolls with the same result the higher number wins.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: November 17, 2013, 07:59:52 pm »

I may just wind up doing a team arena of microtransformers. You can hypothetically choose something as large as that 52" flat screen TV, but there will likely be secret areas or passages for smaller players, and as much as I don't want to, I may have to have a hard limit on size. You'll be randomly granted things for slaying another player, as well as the ability to scavenge their body for things. If the scale is something like handheld gaming device up to blender, you may wind up with a plastic sword, if you decide to be the oven, you might get a circular saw.

I actually want to do a lot with this whole "appliance amalgam" thing. Like, the player starts off as a really small thing, like the size of a beetle, that controls and takes over machines (turning them into transforming mechas.) You'll have to get upgrades, to take over multiple devices as well as larger ones.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:22 pm »

I would love that, I also like the idea of the breeding thing, start off with about 5 creatures or so and give us some mutation chemicals and also radiation and accelerated mutation devices like we could make an area and then cause them to mutate as if they had spent years in that climate.

Maybe use the metamorphica for the generations, but anyway, so you could breed the perfect monster!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:19 pm »

What about a game about breeding robots?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: November 17, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »

Theoretically, it could work, put in a framing device and then we could just have a set of robots which we could then fuse and add to to create a massive amount of robots, slowly evolving them to make them perfect!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: November 18, 2013, 08:12:06 am »

Roll to Dodge GM Opinion- A game template where players post some of their "real life stats" like occupation, gender, etc. and the GM gives them game stats based on his/her opinion of said player. I.E. if a GM feels women are smarter they get a boost in intelligence, etc.

FakeEdit: ok so on second thought this is actually a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE idea. But I'll still post it so you guys can call me names :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:44 am »

What about a game about breeding robots?
Heheheh. Have some inspiration. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-816
As a side note the metamorphica breeding thing interests me somewhat. Of course the obvious problem we'd have to ignore is the possibility of creatures becoming incompatible.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »

I got really, really bored in class today. Like, way more than usual.

The result?

AN ENTIRE TOWN GENERATOR BASED ENTIRELY ON D8s. There's one d4, easily rollable with a d8. I didn't want to write the same thing twice four times is all.

With it, you can generate or choose the size of the town, then what concentration of shops, residential, and governmental buildings are around, the general town layout, types of roads, average level of wealth for citizens, educational opportunities for citizens, what types of stores are around as well as their quality, pricing, willingness to buy items from adventurers, and willingness to haggle, what kinds of houses are around, what government facilities there are around and their quality, the economic basis of the town, it's community focus, recent/quest events, factions within the town, level of crime, and any special buildings not relating to shops, houses, or the government.

As a general rule, 1s are horrible for the player, 4-5 is average, 8 is fantastic, unless it's a classification (such as store type).
I'll post the whole thing at some point if people are interested.

Town Size is important as number of shops, houses, and government buildings directly tie in. A Metropolis (largest size) at absolute minimum will have 5 shops, 5 houses, and 5 government buildings, as well as at least one special (like a bar.) At the absolute maximum it has 11 of each type plus four specials, meaning a Metropolis can have anywhere from 16-37 places for players to visit. A Hamlet, the smallest possible town size, is capable of having 0s in every category, and might require rerolls, although I like to stick with the results as is. Abandoned towns may crop up in such a way, adding intrigue.

Most options won't have much bearing- such as Economy. Economy boils down to "We import and export", "We make it ourself", or "We make some things on our own as well as trade with other towns." There's also no option for how towns are ruled, though they could be pretty easy- if you had city-states, you might want to choose between government types and officials morality/benevolence level. Kingdoms would be under one person and may encompass many towns, so I left it out.

Some things do require GM input, such as the "Special" shop type. These are shops that may be like others, but sell unique items. Maybe a town has no Apothecary, but has a Special. The GM might choose to say the Special is a "confectionary", selling various candies made with potions mixed in, giving limited but delicious effects. Players may pay to mix in their own potions, although effects are lessened in the candies, though they are very portable.

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: November 18, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »

WANT.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: November 18, 2013, 04:13:48 pm »

AN ENTIRE TOWN GENERATOR BASED ENTIRELY ON D8s. There's one d4, easily rollable with a d8. I didn't want to write the same thing twice four times is all.
I think you and I should share notes, with me showing you how I did the towns in my RTD. :3 Though it did use a standard d8 and it bothers with...simplicity and the basis of governance.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: November 18, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »

Spoiler: Town Faculties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Store Generation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Houses (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Governments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Buildings (click to show/hide)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:16 am »

Okay, so I just decided that we need a thread more dedicated to storing RTD ideas. This one is more of a thread for discussing ideas, but I find it difficult having to trudge through and try to find things I posted a while back. Or just tedious, for things sorta-recently.

So yeah HERE.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:14 am »

If you have problems trying to find things you posted a while back, maybe you should save things on a text file.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »

I approve of the RTD Idea Repository (both for my own benefit and to concisely see what other people are thinking,) and shall make my post there when I can be arsed to do a bit of thread crawling.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 661