Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702219 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7440 on: December 11, 2013, 03:05:31 am »

Why thank you good sir.
Also, I will eventually remember to sign up for Deviation-22 if it's still running. I said I would, and I will ... eventually.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7441 on: December 11, 2013, 03:10:50 am »

I would sign up for Dev 22 but I'd need to read through it all again and I just don't have time.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: December 11, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »

I kinda want to run a hex game based around "everyone gets nearly custom units, everyone can choose their own "faction" by choosing tech path.

---

Or, a survival game set in a sort-of-dystopia where you've got to deal with cosmic microhorrors while trying to stay alive.

---

I want to write more, but I don't know what to write. Argh. Pretend there's a section of mechanics here.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »

Har, har har. I return.

I'm currently working on a gigantic tech tree, for a survival-ish game.

You start off without any research, but since the plot has you as a crashed spaceship on an alien landscape, where the crash forced you out of cryo-sleep in a hurry, causing memory loss as well as a random Hinderance, however, players may pick a Skill as well (blanket -/+1s.)

Tech varies. Sometimes you unlock new Workshops- going from a basic furnace to one that can smelt better ores, or maybe one that results in higher purity. Sometimes you unlock entirely new Items, such as gaining the ability to craft Guns or something, and sometimes, you'll get access to new Materials, such as alloys or... other methods.

For instance, wood weapons suck. You may later gain tech from a holy standpoint, allowing you to create Living Wood, which is better.

Here's the problem. I want a massive, massive tech tree where just about fucking anything is possible. I'm going to want contributors.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkT5sldS4GEidG9oc0pTd0d1RWRnM0Jtc1NyZDRZNFE&usp=sharing

Use your imaginations. Base tech is Minecraft-esque stuff, with a side of Dwarf Fortress. Basic tasks are all taken care of, a crafting bench to make tools, a furnace to cook and smelt, no still, but the ability to farm (rather basic but still).
Earlier techs should be somewhat realistic to how it happened on Earth- no alien-metal smelting before, say, being able to make gunpowder. This is pretty flexible, but the two shouldn't be on the same tech level.

The way the spreadsheet is set up, higher techs are lower down. It takes only a step to go from Basic to the available upgrades and new workshops, and therefore, the techs are mostly related/not too far apart. Further down, techs become more advanced.

Write the name of the technology and then comment on what it actually does. This is a terraria/starbound inspired system.
Players don't really have stats, other than HP. Armor reduces damage. Weapons do damage.

There is no maximum tech level, but if you're offering godhood, it should be really, really far down there. I'd be happy to max out after 10 or so levels of "future" technology.

Magic is also acceptable, but not early on. Once we hit around tech 4-12, it should start phasing in. I'd like to see anywhere from 100~150 levels to conquer.

To indicate that a tech requires another tech, make it bold and include requirements in the comment before the description.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: December 11, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »

I might add some stuff in a bit.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:51 pm »

Why thank you good sir.
Also, I will eventually remember to sign up for Deviation-22 if it's still running. I said I would, and I will ... eventually.

Of course its still running, I just need to break the fingers of a couple of my players. Business as usual.

Anyway, here's the file, theoretically.

http://www.filedropper.com/transportforrtg

This link will only be live for about a week, so yell at me again if anybody from the future needs another copy. Unzip the file, move the folder out, don't muck with any positioning of folders besides moving the containing folder. There's an excel file inside, with three buttons on it. The buttons are pretty self explanatory, one of them is the familiar item generator, the others are WIP programs. They work, but they're not complete. Much like the early version of the weapon program.

The Created Characters folder contains the text files you save from the program when making male and female character. The Created Items folder does the exact same thing except with items. The Sources folder is the most important if you want to expand functionality. Feel free to poke around inside. The archive files are static, and are just there to catalog features and show syntax (most of them show syntax, some don't).  The .txt files that don't have Archive in the filename actually are fed into the arrays that the RNGs draw from. Add a new line with data, and it has a chance to appear in the system, everything else is adjusted automatically.

NOTE: Only LongTrait is set up to read commas properly. I didn't need to add that feature to the other files, so I didn't. The result is that a comma in any of the other source .txts will cause the program to split that line into two lines. (It treats it as an ordered list) Don't add commas unless you're in LongTrait.

New Features: Added the generate characters functionality. There are ~112 million different combinations each for males and female names, so it should keep things pretty mixed. Outputs look like this....

This man's name is Basil Ferdinand. He is charismatic, diligent, and sensitive. He has given knives to murderers and sold comfort to those left behind.

This woman's name is Gaynor Kolano. She is lucky, sharp, and civilised. She threw everything away for honor.

This man's name is Mekhi Gordy. He is young, immaculate, and unhappy. He sees things that aren't there, and yet are true.

This woman's name is Emilia Baria. She is religious, evil, and prone to give up easily. She has tasted a life [of] virtue and a life of crime, and turned away from both.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:23:51 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: December 11, 2013, 08:19:07 pm »

This link will only be live for about a week, so yell at me again if anybody from the future needs another copy. Unzip the file, move the folder out, don't muck with any positioning of folders besides moving the containing folder. There's an excel file inside, with three buttons on it. The buttons are pretty self explanatory, one of them is the familiar item generator, the others are WIP programs. They work, but they're not complete. Much like the early version of the weapon program.

Buttons don't work if you, for some reason, don't have a copy of excel? I can't see anything but a piratepad link.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:10 pm »

I would sign up for Dev 22 but I'd need to read through it all again and I just don't have time.
DO IT.

Because given how you'd be quite new to it--play it as your character does, Draignean is a kind GM in that he gives complimentary backstories as to what you did in reference to who you are.

The OP lore is always useful. :)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: December 11, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »

DO IT.

Because given how you'd be quite new to it--play it as your character does, Draignean is a kind GM in that he gives complimentary backstories as to what you did in reference to who you are.

The OP lore is always useful. :)

I've been contemplating entering it with a character that doesn't really know what's going on, for the meta-reason that I've tried to read it but have only gotten through the first 50 pages or so. 
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »

I'm tempted to run a Mafia-like-kinda-ish game.

Players are part of a mecha squadron, however, they all have secret agendas, in most cases, conflicting ones. The first game archetype I have is this:
2 players are Soldiers. They want to make it to the end of the scenario alive.

1 player is the Traitor. The traitor's job is to ensure the death of all other players. They can fake rolls, such as when saving another player, to make the situation worse on purpose. Being found out by higher-ups is bad, but if the objective is completed before they catch on/can act, you're home free.

1 player is the Sleeper. They are told they are a Soldier at first, but will become a Traitor if the original dies.

1 player is the Commander. The commander's goal is to keep all Soldiers (and the Lieutenant) alive until the end of the scenario. Alternatively, they win if there are no Traitors left.

1 player is the Lieutenant. They can talk with other players in their off-time, and have a chance of gaining a hint as to their role. The better their roll, the more exact they are- a bad roll is simply uninformative. The Lieutenant is announced at the beginning of the game.

Players involved in the death of the Commander and/or the Lieutenant will be interrogated by Command. This has a chance of catching you red-handed IF, and ONLY IF Command knew the particulars of the death. A death obfuscated or otherwise shrouded in unclear guilt will not result in conviction.

Oh, and you've also got to take on five missions in your mecha and try to not die.

All actions are done with a 3d6. When at a disadvantage, the enemy rolls 4, most of the time they roll 3, when the opponent is at a disadvantage, they only roll 2.

If a player rolls a 6, 5, and 1 vs a 4, 3, 4, the second player wins. You might say "but 12 beats 11", however, rolling Doubles adds the doubled number to your roll, 3 of the same number double their value (3,3,3 becomes 18), three 6s is an automatic success, along with quads (for disadvantaged rolls.) Rolling 3 6s activates overdrive, for 3 turns all die get a +1. (blanket +3).

Mecha are somewhat customizable, but combat is largely abstract (You can choose any loadout you like, you'll still declare attacks and have attacks declared against you. I'm not including weapons effectiveness because it would complicate combat.)

---

Oh, and other "modes":

4 players are Usurpers. They want to steal their mecha and run off with lots of valuable military tech. So long as at least 2 survive, they can still win. Individuals lose if they directly kill or are suspected in the death of a non-Usurper.

2 players are Watchers. So long as they are operating on the field, Command is able to see the actions of all players.

---

1 player is an Extremist. Once per non-combat turn, they may attempt to convert a Soldier or sabotage a player mech. Sabotaged mechs either lose their combat ability, or if they don't have one for combat, suffer -1s to their highest two rolls. They are repaired after a combat round. Their goal is to activate during combat and cause a nuclear explosion.

1 player is a Watcher. So long as they are operating on the field, Command is able to see the actions of all players.

1 player is an Inspector. Their goal is to stop the head extremist. Once per non-combat turn, they may inspect a player or inspect their mecha. To arouse suspicion on the head Extremist, they must first make a successful inspection on the Head Extremist, and then a successful check on their Mecha.

3 players are Soldiers. They want to live until the end of the last scenario.

0 players start as Followers. Followers win if the Extremist wins. If the Extremist is investigated by the Inspector, each Follower rolls a d6, and can change the results of the Extremist's rolls vs inspection. This means that with all three soldiers converted, the Extremist gains 6d6 take 3 highest vs the Inspector's 3d6.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:30:14 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »

*Quick skim*

So if I'm the commander can I execute everyone who isn't the lieutenant and win?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: December 11, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »

*Quick skim*

So if I'm the commander can I execute everyone who isn't the lieutenant and win?
Seems that way.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:55 pm »

Huzzah!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: December 11, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »

Okay, so, you may or may not remember the Mansion Horror Family RTD that Harry Baldman pitched a while back, and I've intermittently kicked at since then. Well, I think I'm ready to run with it.

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

As you can see, I've moved almost entirely away from the combat-oriented slasher-style thing I had on the first draft way back, and now it's more of an "explore and manipulate environment" kinda adventure thing with more... subtle horror. Do things make sense? Is there a "why would anyone want to play this character?" problem, or a "why WOULDN'T anyone want to play this guy?" thing going on? I'm kinda surprised how small the proto-OP looks, considering how much hidden stuff there is for me to worry about. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Alright, I did it. Applications are not first come first serve, so transfer those characters into the thread by Friday the 13th! 'Tis the season for cosmic horror...

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:48 pm »

They should keep soldiers alive/ would arouse extra suspicion from Command should they start executing innocents and may be stripped of their title for such conduct. Killing other players in such a way that Command cannot prove anything (putting them at a disadvantage to find information) is a safe bet to win, though.

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 661