Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702514 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7530 on: December 30, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

I like it too. It's appropiate too, considering Narrative By Trope got rebooted again.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7531 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

Well, since we're ignoring values of 0 or less, I made a list of all possible combinations of 1 or higher.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I then put all the results into a weighted die on anydice.
By clicking Summary, I see the mean is 3.67 with a standard deviation of 2.21.
Edit: Here is the same concept, expanded wider.

Application of this method to explore how roll modifiers change the odds and affect damage per turn for an Opposed Roll combat system where damage = Attack - Defense.

Spoiler: D10 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: D6 (click to show/hide)

man i hope I did the math right.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »

I may never run it, but lets take elements of Madoka Magica, and mix them in with Perplexicon!
Keep your heads on, folks: THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY END WELL POORLY!

Rather than Pool, you wind up with Potential. Potential determines how many points of Pool you have, but it never regenerates. If this hits 0, you die. It also goes down by 1 every turn you're in combat at all.

Should you die by loss of pool, you'll become a Familiar. You've got a 1/10 chance of holding a Grief Seed, you create a gateway into a world under your dominion, and you gain limited but powerful magic based around the world you're in. After spending enough time in your Labyrinth, you'll become a full-fledged Witch. Witches are able to bend the rules in their realms (such as making it harder to cast magic) but only in a way that affects everyone (making Fire magic triple in effectiveness may be useful, if say, you're impervious to Fire and can use fire spells). They can suppress others with their will, hide (someone in their realm must roll to seek them), and take on inhuman forms.

Dying by other means leaves you out of the loop, but you go to a different counter: Walpurgisnacht will come whenever the non-witch death toll reaches a certain, hidden number. Walpurgisnacht is well worth slaying, however, as it drops Grief Seeds for every player that went to it's counter.

Every player spawns with a single Grief Seed. They will also spawn in an area with a number of Witches and Familiars, n-1 Witches and (nx3)-1 Familiars where n  = number of players. Players may fight each other, team up, or stick to slaying Witches solo if they like- Familiars have a very low chance of dropping Grief Seeds, Witches always do, a Grief Seed can replenish a mage with 2 points of Potential back to full from 0 before becoming useless (not sure about how many points it should be yet.)

Battling another mage may or may not be a good thing- waitlisters won't come on for three turns after a death caused by another mage and you can establish territory, take their Grief Seeds, but others will be less inclined to trust you and you're fighting someone likely equal to you. You can fight Familiars, who aren't as difficult as Witches, but rarely grant Grief Seeds. You could fight Witches, which is dangerous, but will keep you in the fight.

The generated Familiars have a random number of turns before becoming Witches.

A Witch will generate a Familiar every third, fourth, or fifth turn of existence.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »

so it's a normal perplexicon game but the weakest players in terms of luck and whatnot gets to become a mini-boss and eventually a boss.

sounds interesting, I would certainly sign up anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:17 am »

Roll to Be the Main Character

Basically, the players are side characters in a cartoon on television, when the MAIN CHARACTER unexpectedly dies somehow.
Thus, all the players then do everything in their power to turn themselves into the shows MAIN CHARACTER. Whether they approach it by changing themselves or by trying to change the very nature of the show to suit them is up to them.

The intent is to create a situation where you can have a Bugs Bunny expy outwitting a Magical Girl while The Ace tries to make the show about transforming mecha and that shy kid who inexplicably attracts multiple girls at the same time just tries to adjust to a non harem based economy.

Currently taking suggestions on mechanics that can make this more then a minimalist crazyfest.
At the moment I only have that the theme of the world changes based on relative screentime of the characters and that Plot Armour is an actual thing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:41 pm »

Have cartoon tropes being an actual series of items like powerups and weapons, all based on different animation styles. Could even divide it into seperate classes: a 1940s cartoon character would be the tank, since they take a lot of damage without much effect in cartoons, while anime characters would have a larger variety of weaponry and abilities then other animations.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »

Have cartoon tropes being an actual series of items like powerups and weapons, all based on different animation styles. Could even divide it into seperate classes: a 1940s cartoon character would be the tank, since they take a lot of damage without much effect in cartoons, while anime characters would have a larger variety of weaponry and abilities then other animations.

Additional note: 1940s and older cartoon characters, with their dated references and occasional racism, tend to alienate many younger characters. And the participation of an anime character doubles the length of any given fight. Dark Age of Animation characters would suffer from limited frame count, which results in decreased flexibility and agility, but would gain something... charisma, maybe?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: January 06, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »

Additional note: 1940s and older cartoon characters, with their dated references and occasional racism, tend to alienate many younger characters. And the participation of an anime character doubles the length of any given fight. Dark Age of Animation characters would suffer from limited frame count, which results in decreased flexibility and agility, but would gain something... charisma, maybe?

These are all good, keep em coming :)

Indeed, I do this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: January 06, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

Modern cartoon characters would be either a Jack Of All Trades sort of class (With elements from both dark age cartoons and anime), Eastern European cartoons would be... something, with the disadvantage of being in Russian (Maybe encourage players to actually use Russian/badly translated English for their speech), and arty adult cartoons would have a bonus to intelligence with a lot of alienation to younger viewers. Actually, thinking about it, viewer interest should be a statistic. Goes up with doing cool things and acting according to your class and goes down when you do things out-of-character. So a kawaii anime Sailor Moon type character would have a viewership decrease if they brutally murdered someone with an axe, but would get an increase if they killed them by having a very flashy attack move with lots of lights and patterns.

Idea related to that thing about tropes and this one: Trope Manipulators. Basically, normal real-life setting, but certain people have managed to figure out how to invoke tropes in real life. Every player starts out with a single trope they choose themselves and gain more (That are randomly chosen by me) by [insert method here]. They can invoke this trope on themselves (Making it a part of their character: invoking Firey Redhead on yourself would give you red hair and a bonus to combat), or on the surroundings (Making it the law for that character: invoking Selective Gravity on the surroundings means that things that aren't living creatures are able to float) in various ways. Could possibly be an arena thing, though I think it'd work pretty well if it was more freeform. Like screwing around in a city. Perhaps every character has various goals they have to accomplish and when they accomplish them, they win the game and someone else comes in.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:39:12 pm by Fniff »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: January 06, 2014, 04:43:46 pm »

Actually, thinking about it, viewer interest should be a statistic. Goes up with doing cool things and acting according to your class and goes down when you do things out-of-character. So a kawaii anime Sailor Moon type character would have a viewership decrease if they brutally murdered someone with an axe, but would get an increase if they killed them by having a very flashy attack move with lots of lights and patterns.
Interesting, maybe there should be a part of the mechanic to factor in genre shifts or deconstruction twists/cerebus syndrome?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »

Could be an item. Lets you do the exact opposite of what is considered your usual genre, with the disadvantage that now doing the things in your usual genre makes viewer interest go down due to the mood whiplash aspect.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:41 pm »

Kinda prototyping a survival where characters have abilities with magic, ranged, or melee weapons, then factors such as emotion and morality that must be kept balanced.

Having low areas in the mental attributes will cause you to drag down the stats of those around you as well as your own- having no sympathy or burning it all uselessly might make it impossible to console another player, and actions are not always direct-control. A seriously depressed character will not only suffer in rolls, but may decide to do nothing, or even actively seek death.

Roleplaying your emotional state well will reward you on occasion with a yet-unnamed point that can save you from such depression, because it's good to keep them around. You won't survive on them alone.

You must survive an unknown amount of days, completing objectives reduces daycount, events are semi random.
Island you wind up on will also be randomly generated- there might have been a war, giving you old guns (guns being a huge gain), or maybe there's plenty of runes to teach magic users. You'll have to explore to find out.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:10 am »

Everyone is a cyborg. Players pick/randomly get one part to start out with, and they gain the parts of those they kill. People who appear later gain better parts to help survival and keep the power levels rising.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: January 07, 2014, 12:59:34 am »

Actually, thinking about it, viewer interest should be a statistic. Goes up with doing cool things and acting according to your class and goes down when you do things out-of-character. So a kawaii anime Sailor Moon type character would have a viewership decrease if they brutally murdered someone with an axe, but would get an increase if they killed them by having a very flashy attack move with lots of lights and patterns.
Interesting, maybe there should be a part of the mechanic to factor in genre shifts or deconstruction twists/cerebus syndrome?
This was a serious consideration. I specifically planned to have it be an option to "Change the show to suit you" instead of the other way around.

So when Mecha guy gets the highest popularity the show style fits that genre, and so on and so forth.

Indeed, I do this.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: January 08, 2014, 05:02:54 am »

Guys, I had a thought: What if we had a tournament style game where each player's 'competitors' were their past characters from other RtDs?
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 661