Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702469 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So are you randomizing which subtype the players end up as, or letting them choose? I don't think the first is bad per se, but you might end up in a situation where a player would've liked a completely different set of skills - if they know it's going to be randomized, there's no problem.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So are you randomizing which subtype the players end up as, or letting them choose? I don't think the first is bad per se, but you might end up in a situation where a player would've liked a completely different set of skills - if they know it's going to be randomized, there's no problem.
I was thinking of letting the players choose, though randomizing would be fair for this. If I were to add something, then the differences won't be that big, just minor differences. The night dryads could see slightly better at night for example, the day dryads would heal slightly faster,etc.

It's essentially a subrace choice. Like all the different varieties of elf.

Might want to replace all the ares with tend to bes, though, unless dryads are supposed to be like ants or something.
I see, thanks. No they are not intended to be ants, would make for a pretty cool concept though.
Durrr..

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Would anyone be interested in this RtD?
I'm afraid I can't reveal much more then the first post without spoiling it.
Spoiler: The OP (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Seems okay enough, though probably largely devoid of the actual concept. The problem with the premise of the game being revealed over time, or based on a reversal of expectations, is that you don't know what you're getting into, and so the result might not be to your taste at all.

For instance, right now it smacks of monsters showing up. But it could just as well be anything else at all.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I get a 'monster-y' vibe from it, but I suppose you could be right.
It seems like fun either way! Something new is always good. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Seems okay enough, though probably largely devoid of the actual concept. The problem with the premise of the game being revealed over time, or based on a reversal of expectations, is that you don't know what you're getting into, and so the result might not be to your taste at all.

For instance, right now it smacks of monsters showing up. But it could just as well be anything else at all.
I did want to go with a premise that isn't typical for RtDs. Not many 'roll to be a member of an impoverished kulak family in the Soviet 20s" that I know of. This also probably means that it's not immediately obvious what the direction is.
Here's one solution I thought of: spoilers that have variable levels of explanation. So, the post you see there is the minimal explanation and I would have another spoiler which goes into detail about the concept and what's coming up.
Kind of like how trigger warnings work, thinking about it.

I'm not sure I get a 'monster-y' vibe from it, but I suppose you could be right.
It seems like fun either way! Something new is always good. :)
Thanks!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

So, what do people think of this kind of character selection?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Draignean:

Innnnnteresting. The prologue and extended character creation is an idea I've never come across before. I suspect it could also be used to weed out players you (the captain or the GM) finds they don't think a good fit for the game too, if you were so inclined. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but there. The core aspect of tweaking your character seems fantastic - as long as that prologue is varied enough you can touch upon botch mechanical play and roleplay.

The Captain player choosing their team of course leads to the risk of them choosing their friends only, but ehh, I don't know if that's a big problem.

I also like the Archetype section there - three words seems just enough to describe your core idea.

...rambling, non-practical comment over; very interesting! Are you planning on making this?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Captain player choosing their team of course leads to the risk of them choosing their friends only, but ehh, I don't know if that's a big problem.

I thought about this, but then realized I don't really care. I already choose based on a combination of nepotism, insanity, and a desire to watch things explode entertainingly. So having a player, who at the very least has a vested interest in preserving their character's life, choosing by the same rubric isn't so bad. Friends can have a lot of fun tooling around with their friends, and, as long as everybody is having a good time, it's mission accomplished.

...rambling, non-practical comment over; very interesting! Are you planning on making this?

Of course not! Heaven man, perish the thought from your mind. Frankly, I'm aghast at the suggestion- it's absolutely impossible and completely unthinkable that I would run a game like this until the morning of May 4th.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:53:09 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

...May the Fourth be with us all then.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm so gonna sign up for that.
Hell, I'll start thinking up my app today.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

How would people think about an Ender's Game themed RTD? During the 3'rd invasion with space battles and stuff?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

So, what do people think of this kind of character selection?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can I steal this?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I steal this?

Sure. Just send me a link to wherever you use it so I can watch how it pans out. (And probably apply)

I'm not going to use it for a month, so anyone who wants to use the idea is welcome to it.

...May the Fourth be with us all then.

I don't sig things, but if I did I would sig this.

I'm so gonna sign up for that.
Hell, I'll start thinking up my app today.

Huh. That might be interesting on contact with the lore.

How would people think about an Ender's Game themed RTD? During the 3'rd invasion with space battles and stuff?
I'm interested in anything with the word Sci attached anywhere to the front, so you had me at space. Granted, the Ender's game world is pretty damn dark, and I'm not sure how well it would translate to an RTD, but I'd play it if I had time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:42:49 am by Draignean »
---

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

That character selection idea is brilliant.

Also +1 to the Ender's Game idea.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 580 581 [582] 583 584 ... 661