Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702444 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9285 on: December 12, 2015, 01:28:59 pm »

Just a question, has anything like this ever been done before?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9286 on: December 12, 2015, 10:00:48 pm »

We tried it once, but the first GM (Gatleos) basically ran things forever until he stopped, so the chain thing never really happened. Multi-GM things have been done all over the place and, as far as I've seen, pretty uniformly drop off fairly quickly. Not that regular forum games have a great average shelf life either, so take that as you will.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 12, 2015, 10:17:18 pm »

Ah, Endless RTD.

My necromancer who was fighting mecha-hitler will be missed.

I still miss Gatleos's RTD's in general.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 12, 2015, 11:10:58 pm »

WANT COOL RTD? WHY, COME DOWN TO ALPHA COMPLEX FOR THE NEXT RTD SENSATION.

PARANOIA RTD: THE MININALISM. WATCH AS A GROUP OF RND TEST SUBJECTS OF AN EXPERIMENT GONE HORRIBLY RIGHT A FOUL NEW COMMIE MUTANT THREAT! WITH STRANGE REALITY WARPING POWERS!

MINIMALISM! ACTION! CRAZY! MAD SECRET SOCIETIES! THIS! IS! PARANOIA!: THE! HAPPENING!!!!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:40 pm »

BUT WHY NOT DAKKA INSTEAD?

The Computer loves me, right?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 13, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »

So, I finished writing up my star wars RTD. Please tell me if there are any issues with it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 13, 2015, 06:41:52 pm »

Potential problem: Star Wars is a specific, existing setting, if a popular one. You might have more trouble finding moderators than you would with a custom setting, since they'd probably need to be interested in both Star Wars and the specific game enough to mod it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 14, 2015, 02:13:18 pm »

I made this. It's a crude system to generate sci-fi ships. I'm looking to refine the categories a bit (Perhaps break up the crew and extra categories into seperate subcategories). Also, fill out the defenses and weapon selection. Would be nice if people could remind me of anything they think essential that is still missing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Example Ships

Scout Corvette
Crew :
  - Captain : Cybernetic Engineering Genius
  - Gunners : Accurate Redshirt Squad
Defenses : Heavy Armor
Weapon : Laser Battery
Engine : Liquid Fuel Drive
Extra : Advanced targeting sensors, Repair drones

Standard Fighter : ( 3 Weapon, 1  crew, 1 extra, 1 defense, 1 engine)
Crew : Hardened Insane Fully Automatic Experienced Cybernetic
Armor : Light armor
Engine : Ion Engine
Weaponry :
    - Explosive Main Gun
    - Explosive Gun Battery
    - Guided Laser Missile
Extra : Hanger (Drone class or below)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:15:07 pm by 10ebbor10 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 15, 2015, 12:28:54 am »

I made this. It's a crude system to generate sci-fi ships. I'm looking to refine the categories a bit (Perhaps break up the crew and extra categories into seperate subcategories). Also, fill out the defenses and weapon selection. Would be nice if people could remind me of anything they think essential that is still missing.
Crew as a separate category could be nice, if you don't mind the extra rolls. Also depends on how personalized you want each vessel to be; "an alcoholic engineer" is a fine standard feature for Laureat-class vessels, while "cowardly obese holographic combat AI, enthusiastic twitchy engineer, inquisitive bloodthirsty cyborg chef" might be more of a specific ship's crew.

I feel like most of your special categories are things all or most ships should have to some extent, so making it more variant-oriented ("no/luxurious/armored/extra escape pods") or individual categories ("weak point at bridge/power core/engines/weapons/sides") probably would be better.

I have an idea for a fantasy RtD with the weapons being around the time of pistols, crossbows, and swords/melee weapons (similar to Bloodborne or Dishonored). I tried starting it but really didn't put enough into it, so I'm putting it here until I got a real thing. Magic does exist, and there is only a single method, which is basically... I dunno, innately? There will be a exp system, lvl system (stat boosts and learning magic), and a combat system from Digital Hellhound. Modifiers do whatever, range and weapon reach will be logicked out. Stats boost damage, hit chance, and whatever. Not sure what the speed stat will do yet, but it'll be very important.
Why do you know there's only a single method of magic if you're not sure what that method is? Or do you not know how to describe it?
Be careful with weapon reach/range. "Logicking out" how a dagger compares to a polearm tends to result in either zero difference or wonky distinctions. You don't want to build a system thinking that range is a thing and then figure out that it isn't.
Having a really important stat with an unknown function sounds like an alarming design flaw.

A common cliche is the 'high speed low strength' stat build which makes no logical sense. Instead I'll probably have something like:

Fitness (Fit): Strength speed, and general physical ability. Reduces stamina use for physical movements.
Flexibilty/Nimbleness/Agility(Flex): For tricky maneuvers, fitting into tight spaces, crawling, climbing.
Vitality (Vit): Increases Life. I will have a life stat.
Magic (Mag): Y'guessed it, magical ability. There really isn't a better word than 'magic' - 'mystical' and 'arcane' just don't work as well. Reduces stamina/mana use for spells.
Stamina (Stam): Both a mana bar and stamina bar. You can perform unlimited actions per turn (though if you have more than 3, you get a [Hasty] debuff) as long as you have enough mana/stamina. Weapons will have a stamina stat, which is how much stamina it takes to use them. Movement will probably be 3 to 5, depending on the movement. It regens pretty quickly, about half of the bar each turn. Casting 3 or more spells in a single turn slows your stamina regen (it's a shared bar) to a crawl. If you perform actions that cause your stamina to go below 0, I'll do a Stamina roll, which 3 or lower, you fall unconscious for a set number of turns based on your roll, or you stay awake. Points in this stat increase your max stamina and regen per turn.
Specifically mentioning an archetype you don't like concerns me. Don't build a system just to spite a build you hate.
Weren't there going to be stats to improve damage and so on? These just boost and increase efficiency of mana/stamina, boost life, and provide miscellaneous acrobatic ability.
What are the decisions to be made here? Is Fitness for heavily draining tasks like swinging hammers because it gives percentage reduction, or low-impact tasks like daggers because it drops their already low cost by a flat amount each of the three times you'll be using them per round? Is Vitality for everyone or mainly just intentional tanks? Under what circumstances should a player consider investing in Stamina?

I had an armory system before, but it kinda sucked. I think instead is I'll let players chose their own weapons, and modify them it works and they're happy. This might actually go in the Forum Games section, as I (probably) won't use rolls for anything besides combat/needs randomification (is that a word?), but they don't have a brainstorming megathread.
It's nowhere near as active, but Gaming Block is indeed a thing.

Weapons have set stats, increased/decreased by your personal stats.
Armor is applied after the weapon/combat system, reduces it by a set amount. Armor... will never break, for sake of convenience.
Staves and wands do not exist. They wouldn't do anything anyway.
Many spells also grant a side effect/buff, such as [Warp]. It teleports you a short distance, and is often used as a combat or escape spell, so as a side effect it gives you [Magical Adrenaline], which massively increases your stamina bar for a couple turns, and delays the stamina/mana regen debuffs for some turns. Spells vary in strength and, well, almost everything. Some have low mana costs, high damage, but crap range. Others have huge range, heavy damage, but eat up almost all of your stamina bar. Others are simple utility spells for nonmages (though almost everyone uses magic) which use a relatively small amount of mana, while yet others are damage deflectors or shields most likely not used on oneself (those spells use a lot of mana and instantly destroy your regen), but rather a frontline tank or whatever.
As mentioned above, which stats? Or does that vary by weapon, and if so, how much variance is there? Are there Stam->Dmg hammers or Vit->Accuracy polearms?

So far for a story, I don't have much, but you have to exterminate some creatures. The creatures turn out to be summoned by a mage, who you need to stop. Then you uncover a cult, and stop them. After that, I'll come up with something else.

I'm probably missing a crap ton, but that's why I'm putting it here - so you all can tell me what I'm missing.
I'd personally be more concerned with a setting/mission system than a pair of preset missions. Especially since players are often not very good at doing what they're supposed to be doing. Do they work for someone or are they freelance, why are they working together, and so on are probably going to be bigger deals than whether they're dealing with wolf attacks or bandits for their first outing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 15, 2015, 05:18:05 pm »

Crew as a separate category could be nice, if you don't mind the extra rolls. Also depends on how personalized you want each vessel to be; "an alcoholic engineer" is a fine standard feature for Laureat-class vessels, while "cowardly obese holographic combat AI, enthusiastic twitchy engineer, inquisitive bloodthirsty cyborg chef" might be more of a specific ship's crew.

It's not supposed to be that specific, but yeah.

I feel like most of your special categories are things all or most ships should have to some extent, so making it more variant-oriented ("no/luxurious/armored/extra escape pods") or individual categories ("weak point at bridge/power core/engines/weapons/sides") probably would be better.

That's a great point, actually.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 15, 2015, 05:36:03 pm »

The method of magic is simply an 'innate' magic. People have used hand waves and phrases, but none are necessary (unless they simply help u focus).

I believe the official term for innate magic is "sorcery", well at least that's what DnD taught me.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »

The method of magic is simply an 'innate' magic. People have used hand waves and phrases, but none are necessary (unless they simply help u focus).

I believe the official term for innate magic is "sorcery", well at least that's what DnD taught me.

That's what it is in DnD; what it is in any other magic system is very much dependent on how magic works there.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: January 05, 2016, 11:11:24 am »

Hey, somebody with time please make a game out of this and especially this.

You play as a retired superhero, over 80 years old, with barely functioning powers, wearing his/her old clothes despite how badly those fit now. One leg already in grave. Could be funny.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:53 pm »

Hey, somebody with time please make a game out of this and especially this.

You play as a retired superhero, over 80 years old, with barely functioning powers, wearing his/her old clothes despite how badly those fit now. One leg already in grave. Could be funny.
I don't really do online roleplay anymore these days, but this sounds awesome!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:56 pm »

I'm planning to remake Sabertooth's Psycho-Murderers game, would anyone be interested?

Here's the link to it, but I'll be using traditional D6+Modifiers on a 1 and 6.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140486.msg5468289#msg5468289
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 661