Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699526 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9330 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:29 pm »

I guess that makes sense, you wouldn't want to suddenly Americanize everything. Ah well, since it's the future you can create anything you want. If you want, you can make silicon valley a carbon copy of dubai and just say "It's the future!".

Don't feel too restricted about your real world setting.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9331 on: February 22, 2016, 04:04:26 pm »

Where do the nanites come from?

Run it anywhere you want. This is obviously set in the future, so any changes can be attributed to future property development, and most players wouldn't have knowledge of the city anyway.

I'd say Dubai simply because it's not another thing set in America. If you do a little research on Dubai culture it could add interesting flavour - and remember that it's been affected by years of cultural osmosis and a cyber-zombie apocalypse to cover up the small details.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: February 22, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »

My biggest fear (and probably Salsacookies fear as well) and call me a wimp if you want, is racism. No one wants to appear racist in front of anyone, especially Gm's. Back when I was still running my arena RTD, I was afraid that my fake religion (which borrowed several terms and themes from christianity, as well as being the driving force behind the plot) would offend people (despite being a christian myself).

Anyway, I managed to avoid offending people but I still worry if I might not be so lucky next time.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Most of the population are fitted with a "nanite reserve unit" implanted within the liver at the onset of puberty. It's a way to "non-invasively" augment one's self from ones home. Just order what (legal) implants you want, and hang out for the day at home, while the nanites do their job.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:15:17 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: February 22, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »

My biggest fear (and probably Salsacookies fear as well) and call me a wimp if you want, is racism. No one wants to appear racist in front of anyone, especially Gm's. Back when I was still running my arena RTD, I was afraid that my fake religion (which borrowed several terms and themes from christianity, as well as being the driving force behind the plot) would offend people (despite being a christian myself).

Anyway, I managed to avoid offending people but I still worry if I might not be so lucky next time.
Yes, and unfortunately, due to the current conditions within the Middle East, it might be quite a bit easier to offend others due to racism and perceived insensitivity, since my plot is essentially a Cyber-Terrorist attack, which the Middle East has been plagued with lately. I don't think that's such a big issue in Dubai, but it's still in the general area.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: February 22, 2016, 04:27:39 pm »

There's plenty of shows, games, and novels that are based on real issues, especially terrorism. Quite frankly, racism shouldn't be a worry. If you're not going out of your way to offend people, you're fine - if some people get salty over something, sometimes you just have to go so what?

You probably shouldn't try to be offensive, but you shouldn't not do something not unreasonable for fear of offending some nebulous person.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: February 22, 2016, 05:02:40 pm »

Alright, I'll go ahead and my cyber-zombie apocalypse going then, wish me luck
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: February 22, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »

Liiiink!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: February 22, 2016, 07:11:46 pm »

Okay... I have an odd thing. I want to start a Wacky Death Race, but instead of rolling for each parts of the vehicle, everyone will instead get a full car. The car quality itself is not rolled, but like Fallacy's loot system, sent by spectators, or if none come, basic cars.

This interests me greatly.

Anyway on the note of broken stat systems. It might be possible to reduce the impact simply by reducing the limit to +- 1 or 2. That, or simply offering a choice of "class" so to speak. Or both. Want a class with +2 endurance? Well, get ready to pay the price then. Even on the d8/d10, modifiers greater than 3 are basically win buttons, statistically.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: February 23, 2016, 03:41:42 am »

Okay, i have an another odd idea:
Each stat, instead of adding straight bonuses(except for +x/+x, it is effectively a straight bonus), it instead increases the part of the dice instead. For example;
Base dice is 1~6
X stat is 0/+2
When X stat is used, then
1~(6+Stat)=1~(6+2)=1~8

Another example-
Base dice is 1~20
Y stat is 0/+5
When Y stat is used, then
1~(20+stat)=1~(20+5)=1~25

The first part, however, adjusts the lower side of the dice. For example:
Base Dice is 1~6
Z stat is -1/0
When Z stat is used, then
(1-stat)~6=(1-1)~6=0~6
So it's like this:
-1/+4 at 1~6 becomes 0~10
+1/-4 at 1~6 becomes a sure 2.
Note: trying to add bonuses beyond it's current max, or trying to add maluses beyond it's current min, well, divide by two and round down (max to bonuses, min to maluses).
Adding bonuses to the lower side of the dice, however, costs triple as much as adding bonuses the upper side. The reverse doesn't apply to maluses, however.
Not sure if this will work.
Liiiink!
Naaaaviiiii!
KHAAANNN!
CREEEEEEEEEEEED!
TASSAAAAADAAAAR!!!
DEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM!!!!! why u do thes
This is what wants me to scream "TREES, DAMMIT!"

Related: SHAUUUUNNNNNNN

Edit:
Sounds pretty cool. I have an idea that will make things more immersive for the spectators.

Since the spectators are the ones who are designing the cars, how about also giving them the ability to create their own brands? To clarify, you know how there are all those car companies (Honda, Tesla, Chevrolet, etc.), well maybe you can have the spectators also be fictional car companies that designed those vehicles. Obviously the spectator will be able to name the company themselves. Let me show you an example.

Spectator: Fallacy of Urist
Name of company: Racer's Delight

Urist designs a few cars and if he's into it enough, he'll probably add some nice flavour text. So, when the player receives their randomly selected car, they will know that it was made by Racer's Delight. Of course, the spectator themselves is anonymous, only the brand is known.

Of course, how much of an impact this has will be dependent on how far you take it. Currently, in the state that I presented it to you, it should make for some fun flavour text.
It could be like in Borderlands, with each different brand having something unique to them that is copyrighted, and can get other brands and drivers in trouble for copying them. Also, you could also get special awards along with the general cash award for sponsoring a specific brand, including those outside of racing, like coke companies, and shoe manufacturers.
Brands for certain people... Yep. Other sponsor things.... not so much.
Or there could be a hidden perk and malus for each brand that's never mentioned in game (but used, obviously). Would make it stranger.
This is the perfect way of 'buffing' Modification stat: The racer can notice sabotages in the vehicle for general, and also fix them. And also sabotage other people's vehicle.
Note: Sabotages in the vehicle, either from the sender or another people, must be is recommended sending it in a PM'd.

What is the perfect time for me to launch the game?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:04:51 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 661