Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1289402 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #1560 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:04 am »

I think the name of the genre you mean is MOBAs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1561 on: July 22, 2013, 05:05:20 am »

I just would rather compete in something that isn't Halo or League of Legends seeing as I'm more interested in role-playing games and simulators.
Are there competitive leagues for RPGs? Usually it needs to be multiplayer.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:05 am »

I think the name of the genre you mean is MOBAs.

If you want to get pedantic, DotA is, in turn, a Aeon of Strife clone.

Okay, yes, they're not exactly clones or ripoffs, but the general gameplay and characters in my experience seem to be a bit too similar for my tastes. What irks me about LoL is that a good lot of the people who play it don't even know there are other MOBAs that preceded it, and treat it like it's the highest and most perfect of its kind.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 22, 2013, 10:32:34 am »

I just would rather compete in something that isn't Halo or League of Legends seeing as I'm more interested in role-playing games and simulators.

Well, strictly speaking, there's speed-running. It's not competitive in the sense of LoL, Dota 2, or SC2, but it's as close as you'll get with a single-player game I'm afraid. Some of the best speed-runners on Twitch can pull in 4-5k viewers, which apparently pays decently.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1564 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:56 am »

Well, strictly speaking, there's speed-running. It's not competitive in the sense of LoL, Dota 2, or SC2, but it's as close as you'll get with a single-player game I'm afraid. Some of the best speed-runners on Twitch can pull in 4-5k viewers, which apparently pays decently.
Oh neat.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 22, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »

Oh neat.

SRL (run by some of the SDA community) is a good place to start if you're interested in starting speedrunning.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 22, 2013, 06:27:56 pm »

Ace Combat Zero.  Ace difficulty.  (On Expert missiles kill you instantly.  Ace is even harder then that.)
I've gone THREE Missions without dying.  Also, FAEBs are awesome.  I'm at Glattisent, and I'm 2000 points below where I need to be.  I approach the northwestern point, and began my dive.  I release two bombs.  One aimed at the makeshift airfield containing Harriers, and the other at a large battery of AA guns.  The first gets me the score I need to win.  The second puts me 2000 over.
Next mission.  I destroy the entire AA camp with just my eight fuel air bombs. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For those wondering the plane it's the SU-37.  It has now replaced the Raptor and Gripen as my favorite plane. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1567 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:46 pm »

Oh neat.

SRL (run by some of the SDA community) is a good place to start if you're interested in starting speedrunning.
I know I'm really great at challenge runs for action games (even though they're my least favourite genre. go figure) but I've definitely never had any experience with speed runs. Thats a whole different ball game I'm sure.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:28 am »

Bandit circle of slaughter, playing the Psycho.
Every time I die, I pull out dynamite, get second wind, and am back on my feet.
By the end there is literally no timer, and I'm surviving by just running into the hail of bullets to get into blast range before I die.

It was beautiful.

My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »

About 45 minutes, *2* Unlimited Drill Works, 2 Multiballs, at least 2 Rin Bins, and at one point hitting Mr. Nomiya a few times in close succession.

Spoiler: The result (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 26, 2013, 12:29:09 pm »

*slow applause that soon speeds up*
Bravo.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 26, 2013, 12:40:28 pm »

Oh neat.

I know I'm really great at challenge runs for action games (even though they're my least favourite genre. go figure) but I've definitely never had any experience with speed runs. Thats a whole different ball game I'm sure.
If you're interested, my favourite game to watch is Ocarina of Time. There's a good chance you've played it (without speed running it), so the incredible number of positively insane glitches used in speedrunning will be appropriately dazzling. The 'any% run', meaning getting to the game credits, takes ~20 minutes. The 100% run takes a little longer but is still finished in a single sitting, and has a highly-competitive world record that was beaten less than a month ago.  :o

On-topic: Armed with a friendly crew that had handled several missions together, I took us to a bank full of valuable safe deposit boxes. Our stealth attempt failed, but we broke into the vault with few problems. Two of the crew started opening boxes while two others covered the exit.

"Well, we've got enough cash, and the assault wave is over. Should we run for it?"

"...nah. This is the part of the mission that makes us money. Let's grab as much as we can!"

And so we finished off another complete assault wave, opening more than half the deposit boxes in the vault with nothing but slow-paced lockpicking. Significantly, we held off the wave with only two people gunning while the rest opened boxes. It took a while, but man, did we ever get a good haul from that robbery!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1572 on: July 26, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »

@Thexor Yeah I've beaten Ocarina of Time about 12 times, plus once on Master Quest (fun as hell I might add). Definitely not skilled/persistent enough to try speed running.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 26, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

I just took a math final with winamp playing while I was taking the test.

During the last long statistics question winamp chose the doom castle theme from FF Mystic Quest.

Inspired by the fitting climactic theme, I got it right and passed the test.   8)

Fastest Ocarina of Time run I saw involved using a zone transition glitch to teleport to the final boss fight immediately after killing the first boss.  Think it was a little over 20 minutes, mostly the ending.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:42:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

@Thexor Yeah I've beaten Ocarina of Time about 12 times, plus once on Master Quest (fun as hell I might add). Definitely not skilled/persistent enough to try speed running.

The any% route actually isn't very difficult. It just requires one major trick. The minor tricks are what determine world records, and my inability to perform them well keeps me from being competitive.

Here's a link to the current WR.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 709