Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292479 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #6750 on: September 12, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »

I was playing Rule the Waves, a game about pre-WWII naval battles.  The game takes place during the era of flag communication so a lot of naval tactics involve "follow the leader" with the player controlling the flagship and the other ships doing their best to obey orders.  This means you cant flawlessly micromanage your ships like in most RTS games.  Even simple maneuvers by elite crews are going to be sloppy.

I was playing as France and got in a Jutland style main fleet battle with Germany.  Our fleets made contact just before dusk.  We trade a few blows with each other but soon spotting range is going to fall to spitting distance meaning it will be impossible to see the enemy or even coordinate properly with your own ships.  But I see a chance.  An older german battleship is out of position and I know that my flagship has a tiny speed advantage over it.  I go to full steam towards the krauts hoping to drive them away from their fleet.  Hopefully the darkness will make the main fleet unable to help them while my battleline tears them apart.

The German Zähringen class battleship is driven from the pack as darkness falls.  The French flagship Brennus places itself between the Zähringen and the German High Seas Fleet.  Brennus closes to point blank range so that the Germans can not escape into the darkness.  9 French battleships and battlecruisers are behind the Brennus, ready to deliver a devestating fire upon the lone German ship as they pass.

Then the Germans land a single hit on the rudder of the Brennus, causing it to veer wildly to starboard.  During night the French battleline cant see more then the ship in front of them.  They cant pass flag signals or make out the fleet as a whole.  Instead they continue to obey the last order given and follow the leader.  They wildly veer every which way to try and reassume their stations with other ships that are also steering wildly.  The screening ships meanwhile sails straight through the battleline and then breaks in all direction as all the destroyer divisions suddenly try to figure out where the hell their station is along a battleline that seems to be going every single direction.  Within minutes dozens of French ships, the pride of the nation, look like drunken partiers flailing about a pool.  In the middle of it is the flagship Brennus which continues to steer in a circle in the middle of this maelstrom.  The Zähringen slinks away into the night.

Oh wait, that was an epic fail not *own*.   :P
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: September 12, 2016, 09:25:41 pm »

It helped that MoF is the only Touhou that's worked perfectly on my potato and I got to watch the whole ending scene instead of scizophrenic snippets of one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have problems running Touhou? I mean, my computer still has its basic Intel graphics card and a 2.5 GHz Processor (If I remember correctly), and Touhou runs like a charm. Maybe something with the downloads?

EDIT: Forgot my "own".

I was able to beat the The Dark Mod fan mission "Trapped!" without any deaths and only one restart. Granted, it was on easy, but the only change in the difficulty as far as objectives was "steal more stuff". I did wind up killing someone in a sword fight, but I didn't take a scratch.

Although I will admit both sight and sound were set to "Forgiving."

Whatever, it's a huge improvement from slinking around each corner completely terrified in "The Tears of St. Lucia".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:32:11 pm by AzyWng »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:51 pm »

It helped that MoF is the only Touhou that's worked perfectly on my potato and I got to watch the whole ending scene instead of scizophrenic snippets of one.

You have problems running Touhou? I mean, my computer still has its basic Intel graphics card and a 2.5 GHz Processor (If I remember correctly), and Touhou runs like a charm. Maybe something with the downloads?

M8, my netbook has an even worse Intel graphics card and 1.6 GHz. Its also still running Windows Starter because I can't be bothered to upgrade. Step up your game. :P

The menus are kind of borked in that they spasm in a weird curtainy way. I can PLAY the game fine, but the endings are mostly occluded and the menus are a bit of a pain since I can only reliably see the top option. Probably due to the COUGH COUGH SOURCES COUGH COUGH I obtained them from, but it might also be an issue with windows compatibility. First Windows generation[EoSD-IN] are borked, but MoF is fine.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:58 pm »

Who is this "Touhou"?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:19 pm »

Who is this "Touhou"?

A series of Japanese bullet hells with fabulous music, somewhat less fabulous art and in which everyone is an anime girl.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6755 on: September 17, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »

Defeated Lord Gwyn. It was actually quite easy, once I realised you could pretty easily kite him around the arena and punish his slower moves.

I really enjoyed that. This game is fantastic. Which is a large part of the reason I'm enjoying slashing my way through NG+ as a katana-wielding lunatic. There's a kind of simple pleasure to carving your way through significantly underpowered enemies.

Dark Souls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: September 17, 2016, 05:06:38 pm »

I dunno. Maybe the older ones(EoSD, PCB) have some problems on some systems. Those two run just fine on my PC, but they struggled a bit on my netbook to the point where alt-tabbing or running under a significant CPU load will have the game automatically return to the main menu, go to options(scrolling the menu by itself) and switch itself to windows mode, 16-bit graphics, and midi-based music and then freak itself out like that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: September 17, 2016, 10:52:45 pm »

So I finally figured out how to kill zombies! And gopniks! Turns out you have to punch them, then run away, then punch them again, then run away again, and repeat until they die. And then fight the next one. And the next. And a dozen or two after that. All whilst suffering from explosive diarrhoea, dying of thirst and trying not to get shat on by mutant birds.

But I did it! I made it to the place where I was supposed to be going! And then died shortly afterwards, but whatever.

Edit: Oh shit! I figured out how to load the game! I didn't even know you could do that! Awesome! This is even more of an Own!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:25:41 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: September 18, 2016, 12:08:55 am »

I murdered things to death with laser drills, lasers, and so many fireworks.

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6759 on: September 18, 2016, 10:30:15 am »

Operation katana lunatic is going pretty well so far. Capra demon took three tries, because I contrived a couple of massive messups the first two times (I also took a detour through spear lunatic in order to kill the dogs), Gaping Dragon took two shots after I almost took it down first try, and I haven't quite yet reached Quelaag.

The bleed on the Uchi is more useful than I'd expected on bosses and tanky enemies. Pulling a random extra 400-500 damage out is quite nice.

Dark Souls.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: September 20, 2016, 05:17:11 am »

I discovered the on/off button for my squeaky shoes!

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: September 20, 2016, 07:20:17 am »

Hey, cool, I'm getting not completely terrible at this game.
Sure, my main automation system to produce the two science vials still looks like a spaghetti-and-arms fever dream, and the iron production system a standard arms-and-arms fever dream, but after taking a few days off and meditating on the nature of life I'm now capable of designing small semi-continuous (Still need to manually feed coal into the furnaces) systems with at the very least minor foresight into enlarging the designs should increased production be needed.
Hip hip.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: September 20, 2016, 10:36:10 am »

Flew around behind point A at volskaya as Pharah while the entire enemy team was focused on the chokepoint and captured point A without them even noticing, within the first minute of the game.

Maybe less of an own and more of a fail for the enemy team but whatevs.

Overwatch
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6763 on: September 20, 2016, 12:14:46 pm »

The legend of katana lunatic continues. Ornery and Slow are down, after... several tries, because I wanted to take out Superstein. Gravelord Neato is down too, after I accidentally left my ring of fog on and remembered it's amazing in that fight.

Now I've just got to make it through a fairly buggy-seeming Ceaseless Discharge (because I think flooded New Londo is by far the worst-designed area of DS). Threw in the towel for tonight after he missed me by a mile and I died anyway. ???

Dark Souls.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:28 pm »

I think flooded New Londo is by far the worst-designed area of DS).
Aesthetic design or level design?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 709