Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169367 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #720 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:03 am »

Well, we know that a certain number of frames counts as the passing of a day in DF. Presumably, a set amount of days could correspond to a phase of the moon. In real life, a full moon lasts about 3 days.

Hopefully, the amount of time a moon phase takes, and perhaps even the number of moons a world has, will be things we can set during world gen.

In the lastest DF Talk, Toady said there will be only one moon.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 03, 2011, 01:57:36 am »

Didn't he also mention the possibility of multiple moons in the future?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 03, 2011, 02:06:32 am »

Can there be multiple different types of vampires with different sets of randomly generated traits in the same world?Like for example, a set of vampires that sparkle in the sun and enslave the minds of pubescent children, and one that burns in the sun and has greatly boosted speed, as opposed to just one or the other. Assuming that's a yes, how frequently do you anticipate new vampire types will be made, and how many in general do you intend to have in a given world or city?
My mind is aflame with randomly generated Camarilla/sabbat politics and wars of the night in DF, though of course such things won't actually be possible until we get group politics in general.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 03, 2011, 02:13:11 am »

Can there be multiple different types of vampires with different sets of randomly generated traits in the same world?

I can't see any reason why there wouldn't be.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:10 am »

Like for example, a set of vampires that sparkle in the sun and enslave the minds of pubescent children,...

Urist McSparkles cancels drink blood: too busy stalking love interest

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2011, 02:38:04 am »

Didn't he also mention the possibility of multiple moons in the future?

Yes. I was talking about the next version.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 03, 2011, 04:37:23 am »

In the lastest DF Talk, Toady said there will be only one moon.

That's no moon, its...

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 03, 2011, 06:10:58 am »

a magma spewing space station!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:29 am »

I wonder if vampires can be caught in cage traps, if so you could chain them outside and watch them BURN.

Also it's looking like goblin sieges are going to be the least of our worries in the next version. Not to mention grave sites and hospitals are going to have to be thought about very carefully, especially in werecreature areas

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2011, 08:16:56 am »

I don't know the Raws well, but with ingested syndromes PLUS adventurer crafting PLUS secrets, won't we be able to hunt for a recipe for a secret potion, craft it and drink it, thus acquiring magical powers ? Also, poisons !
For more fun, can we make some castes of the same creatures immune to a syndrome while others will be subect to it ?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:05 am »

Ha, I foresee that after 20 or 30 years the front of my fort will be littered with the ashes of every vampire in the world.. without one of them ever meeting one of my dwarves.

or....

One of the human merchants will be a vampire, and when he bursts into flames, the rest of the human merchants will attack us.

I do greatly appreciate the bugs in DF, don't get me wrong.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:23:30 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 03, 2011, 08:42:07 am »

I don't know the Raws well, but with ingested syndromes PLUS adventurer crafting PLUS secrets, won't we be able to hunt for a recipe for a secret potion, craft it and drink it, thus acquiring magical powers ? Also, poisons !
For more fun, can we make some castes of the same creatures immune to a syndrome while others will be subect to it ?

I don't know about magical powers, but if you can use arbitrary syndromes to buff the syndromee, then we definitely have potions now.

Now that I think about it, this release will be a perfect time for the "random plant generator" to get an update. The fun (Fun?) will come in finding out which random plant gives what effect.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:17 am »

Nevertheless, I'm super excited. As was pointed out in DF talk, syndromes + ingestion effectively gives us a functional magic system.

Well, it gives us magic food at least.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:27 am »

Uhh... is anyone interested in setting up a short reference list of what the night creature colors will probably represent? I might end up attempting it after the transcript is up, but not until then.

EDIT: actually i probably should have posted this in the DF talk thread
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:29:18 am by freeformschooler »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:00 am »

Dare drinks and magic potions ahoy! Of course, Fortress mode will still need to use the gas/vermin workarounds unless reactions can shove the generated food into the worker's mouth. Getting the various vampiric traits should be great for modders as well, and vampires themselves are going to be great to have.

Uhh... is anyone interested in setting up a short reference list of what the night creature colors will probably represent? I might end up attempting it after the transcript is up, but not until then.
Well, I have a very basic list here if you want to use that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 298