Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167089 times)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #945 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

Has there been any talk about allowing temples in in fortress mode?  It's something I'm fairly interested in, but if it's been mentioned here I surely missed it. 

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »

In relation to what Knight Otu said is it planned to have the world map symbols be selectable so that graphic packs can represent them with a proper sprite?

...or maybe a complete decoupling of the text user interface from the graphics tiles? Even though I think that can be complex (and boring) to do.

Anyway this is my first post on bay12forums. Toady, you're doing a very good job, Dwarf Fortress is great!
like what we have now with the true type fonts support?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:43:02 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 10, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »

Woosh I avoided the Footkerchief answering tyraid.

Anyhow there is talks Internus but currently religions arn't really fleshed out at any level.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 10, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »

No, what i meant was the sharing of the symbols between the text interface (like the "prepare to the journey" screen) and the graphic tiles.
When using a tileset (I use phoebus') for example the male symbol is replaced with a bag, or the "<" with a staircase, and that can be misleading if you are in an interface screen. (The vanilla version obviously is not affected by this problem).

I'm sorry if I can't explain myself well, I'm not a native English speaker. (I put this on my signature as well)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »

No, what i meant was the sharing of the symbols between the text interface (like the "prepare to the journey" screen) and the graphic tiles.
When using a tileset (I use phoebus') for example the male symbol is replaced with a bag, or the "<" with a staircase, and that can be misleading if you are in an interface screen. (The vanilla version obviously is not affected by this problem).

I'm sorry if I can't explain myself well, I'm not a native English speaker. (I put this on my signature as well)
The truetype font support does that. You can turn that on in init, though it's not really done yet because Baughn got a job part way through doing it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 10, 2011, 07:16:58 pm »

Woosh I avoided the Footkerchief answering tyraid.

Whoa, I missed a lot.  Thanks!

What basic concepts are you thinking of for constructs? Will we see beasts with weapons grafted into/replacing limbs are just mish-mashes of creature parts
I ask this because if the RNG is allowed enough room with this, I foresee many humorous(or fearsome) foes. "it has -iron maces-" for feet." "A humanoid with the pincers of a Giant Desert Scorpion."

I haven't done custom bodies yet because although I've had a custom body framework in for about as long as we've had bodies, that framework has never been tested so won't work without a lot of help.  We were planning on doing those things (using the light red N), but if we get to it we were thinking of limiting it to otherly-sized body parts, sutures and grafted-on weapons, which is all do-able without going to full custom bodies.

Do children of were-creatures inherit the curse? How about similar curses?

It's the kind of thing that would need special work, and it hasn't been mentioned, so probably not.

Will we be able to embark on necromancer towers? And if so, will they be visible on embark, or hidden, like caves?

Currently no, probably later:

Quote from: Aquillion
With this...  would it be possible to easily add an init option or worldgen parameter to re-enable dwarves embarking on top of other people's sites?  I'm curious whether this would make the game respond 'properly' now if dwarves try to embark on a dark fortress or somesuch, making for something interesting.

Actually, would it be possible to allow the dwarves to embark on 'hostile' sites in general in the main game, as long as there's no friendly population there?  It seems like "deal with the undead, then settle in their tower" could be a fun (and challenging) way to start a fortress.

Adding an init option wouldn't make the game respond any better than it was when it was broken, so I think I'm misunderstanding something.  There's something fundamentally silly about allowing those embarks, but I don't have a problem with the init option in principle.  But it takes time to make sure that everybody is properly hostile in that artificial environment, so I haven't been eager to fix it up.  That said, we've been toying with the idea of allowing some embarks on thoroughly bad places.  We'll see what happens.

Also, will there be any more bug-fixing releases before this night creature release?

Nope.  Toady never does midstream releases.

Toady right now you really want to take away the ability for anything to really end the world and I can see why. Afterall many of these creatures can destroy the world and no one can do anything about it. Do you think in the future you would allow such "world ending" conditions to exist but give the civilisations, heros, and benevolent creatures the consciousness and means to actually combat it? For example Vampires who do transform with every bite, but the amount of generated heat would cause different levels of vampire clensing within a city

You probably remember this, but just for everyone's context:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Neonivek
Toady with the mythos/plot generator, will it be possible for it to set up Armagedon scenarios or at least situations where the mass destruction of the world is possible? Both in World Generation and when the player is involved (afterall the world ending during World Gen would be boring outside of the planes arc).
-I am mostly reminded of one person's failed attept to break into the HFS. His fortress was destroyed and the demons that poured out and proceeded to destroy much of the world due to the sheer number of powerful beings.

Originally, we had a few broad arcs for a world's life.  There were the fading out ones (which is most like the current system, just because nothing comes back), the marches toward apocalypse, the cyclic ones, and the sort of "gothic" style where there's an established order and you just sort of cower against it on the bottom rung.  That kind of division is no longer in the cards really, but the notion of having powerful forces and established metaphysical facts like a predestined ending to the world are all still floating around.  I guess it would be amusing if the world ended during world gen -- it would just be a reject, he he he.  In terms of the demons and all that, once the pre-siege individuals are thinking about things, both anything you've released and the mega beasts and so on will begin to be more than just random attack events, which should be cool.

toady, do you have a timeline to overhauling the weapons(and items in general) to be multi-material(studding/difference between blade and handle)? is this something that will come during the caravan arc(i remembered some kind of combat overhaul being on the dev-list for one of the releases)? and do you have any plans already to how ornaments will impact combat(eg. will a steel-sword with silver-images on the blade be worse than a silver-sword against a weak-to-silver-Ñ?)?
do we have to wait for the personality-rewrite for nightcreatures to spread false rumours about their weaknesses or will something like this come earlier/later?

As usual, there's no specific timeline for features that aren't explicitly listed on the release schedule.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 10, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

Yep I remember it Footkerchief. luckly for me it doesn't eliminate my question. *wipes forhead*

Still standing baby!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:02:21 pm by Neonivek »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 10, 2011, 08:56:08 pm »

Are werecreatures generated off of a hardcoded list of creatures, or creatures in the raws, so we'll get weird stuff like Weremagmacrabs and Wereseamonsters?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:41 pm »

Are werecreatures generated off of a hardcoded list of creatures, or creatures in the raws, so we'll get weird stuff like Weremagmacrabs and Wereseamonsters?

Quote from: EmeraldWind
Assuming the werecreatures are randomly picked from the normal creature raws, are there any creatures that are excluded from being picked for the curse? For instance, megabeasts, inorganic creatures, or civilized creatures.
Quote from: Knight Otu
Are the wereforms taken from the same list as other random creatures, from existing creatures, or both?

It uses the forgotten beast system.  Trying to parse the raws would be too messy I think, although something with variations could be doable though quite a bit more work to get right than what I'm doing now.  If you want to add exotic wereforms in the meantime, the gods will use whatever curses you mod in for them, and I'll probably have some examples sitting there to look at.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 10, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »

Yep I remember it Footkerchief. luckly for me it doesn't eliminate my question. *wipes forhead*

Still standing baby!
I don't know what's lucky about that. Surely having an answer to your question is the preferable outcome?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »

Still standing baby!
I don't know what's lucky about that. Surely having an answer to your question is the preferable outcome?
In the past, Neonivek has tried to ask Toady questions, and Footkerchief has shut him down due to misunderstandings with the question itself. I think. My history may be wrong.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:14 pm »

Still standing baby!
In the past, Neonivek has tried to ask Toady questions, and Footkerchief has shut him down due to misunderstandings with the question itself. I think. My history may be wrong.

Just generally speaking, it feels better to come up with a good question instead of a question some diligent searching (aka Footkerchief) could solve.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:58 am »

Currently, I noticed goblin helms tend to be branded with their civ's symbol. Will dwarven manufactured items and furniture have a way to identify which civ or entity the item was manufactured by. Or will there be no way to tell where the item came from for the time being?

You mentioned the tower cap bed with the design on it and I was curious where it came from. Once the trading upgrade is put in, we can go around in Adventure after playing Fort and find stuff we made and traded away. But will there be a way to tell for sure if the item was made in the Fort we just played?

I imagine once the ability to make production orders in more detail is in the game, we'll be able to brand the objects ourselves. But for now I wonder if there is any info relating to the object's origin being attached to the object somehow.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:02:05 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 11, 2011, 02:06:23 pm »

Currently, I noticed goblin helms tend to be branded with their civ's symbol. Will dwarven manufactured items and furniture have a way to identify which civ or entity the item was manufactured by. Or will there be no way to tell where the item came from for the time being?

I noticed this as well with many civilizations/invaders.  It is a really nice touch.  I hope that someday we can specify "decorate with civ symbol" or something in dwarf mode to replicate this. 

So much cool stuff.
where is up?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 11, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

Sometimes creatures will get knocked unconscious by blows to the head, independent of pain effects. This sometimes happens when it only bruises the muscle, other times it fails to happen when the skull is shattered. Can you tell us a bit about what factors determine this?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 298