Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167064 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1830 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:52 pm »

I think I'll keep that unedited for posterity though.  Pretty funny if I so myself.

I see what you did there.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:54 am »

I wonder how common secret learning opportunities will be.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 13, 2011, 03:06:30 am »

probably eating organs in the middle of the night.
I am a Goober.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:13 am »

I wonder how common secret learning opportunities will be.

Could be an interesting bug coming across whole communities of necromancers. Every one has a pet hand.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:12 am »

The new interactions that Toady is adding to the game right sound suspiciously like adventurers being able to do magic.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 13, 2011, 07:33:57 am »

Well, he has described the interaction system as a "baby magic system", so that's to be somewhat expected.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 13, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »

threetoe-ing sounds like a dance step

yeah interactions sound like basically actions that break the in-game laws of physics and are just programmed to happen, maybe a better term should be came up with, like......dwarphysics, superphysics, magic, cheating...etc

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 13, 2011, 03:02:01 pm »

I could see ThreeToe'ing as being an ancient stealth technique where people would walk with their third second and fourth toes raised to make less noise.

I could theorize quite a bit on this, but magic in its essence is breaking the laws of physics, and replacing them with the laws of magic.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 13, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »

Beaver dams? Oh dear.

I'm imagining the hail of fun that will ensue during large-scale pumping projects... Especially if your dwarves are beard-deep in aquifer layers and the pumps switch off.

Hee hee.

If I'd been able to at the time, I would have nominated beavers for the animal drive for exactly that reason:

Urist McAide: "Sir, the lower levels are filling with magma! For some reason, the obsidian generators aren't getting any water!"

Urist McOverseer: *Facepalm* "Ugh! How could this day get any worse?"

Urist McAide: "Sir, the elves are right outside. They're angry. And they brought war unicorns! Their leader said something about us disregarding the timber quota!"

Urist McOverseer: "What!? We haven't touched those trees! Wait a minute...! Aargh! You win this round, beavers, but next time! Next time!!!" *Fistshake*
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 13, 2011, 11:43:18 pm »

In my opinion, it's fantastically fitting that the first thing that vaguely resembles magic that adventurers will be able to do in vanilla Dwarf Fortress is the ability to animate the bits and pieces of people you've recently hacked apart.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 14, 2011, 12:51:55 am »

In my opinion, it's fantastically fitting that the first thing that vaguely resembles magic that adventurers will be able to do in vanilla Dwarf Fortress is the ability to animate the bits and pieces of people you've recently hacked apart.

With no limitations either making it possibly the most broken ability in Dwarf Fortress.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1841 on: August 14, 2011, 06:19:45 am »

With no limitations either making it possibly the most broken ability in Dwarf Fortress.
Well when the magic starts going in the game balance is 99% sure to be broken for few releases until they are finetuned after some serious playtesting.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 14, 2011, 09:33:24 am »

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: August 14, 2011, 09:55:22 am »

There are limitations.  The animated bits require either a head or a grasp part or they either can't be reanimated or collapse immediately.  That's one of the new undead rules, they need one of those to stay 'alive'.

A zombie arm is ok.  It has a grasp part.  A zombie Leg is not.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:43 am »

Well, you do have to find the secrets first, which probably means taking down an enemy necromancer or raiding a dungeon.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 298