Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167074 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3435 on: December 19, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »

Toady after reading the latest devlog entry i was wondering if only the blood of intelligent creatures work or if you could suck out a bunny or a boar. Secondly i wonder what would happen if you suck the blood of a creature that has an interaction linked to its blood?

Oh gods let it be just like other drinking-... That'd be neat. Perhaps we could someday even look forward to setting nutritional values for all kinds of stuff.

And the hostility thing-... Toady said that, in fortress mode, the vamp has to be found out first. I'm guessing the same goes for adv.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »

And the hostility thing-... Toady said that, in fortress mode, the vamp has to be found out first. I'm guessing the same goes for adv.

I doubt that.  An Adv Mode justice revamp would have been a major undertaking in its own right, and we haven't heard about it.

Toady after reading the latest devlog entry i was wondering if only the blood of intelligent creatures work or if you could suck out a bunny or a boar. Secondly i wonder what would happen if you suck the blood of a creature that has an interaction linked to its blood?

You can attach any properties you want (including interaction-bestowing syndromes) to the blood of any species, and those should be respected regardless of historical figure status.  The historical figure limitation applies to material properties that are attached to the blood of only a single individual instead of the blood of the entire species.  When a dwarf becomes a vampire, that status is stored in addition to all of their normal dwarf attributes from the raws, and to become persistent, that individual status has to be attached to a historical figure.

If you made a whole race of vampires, then the blood syndrome would be part of the creature definition, and the hist fig info wouldn't be necessary to contract the syndrome.

Quote from: devlog
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/#2011-06-02

I started the vampire process by adding ingestion syndromes. These'll be used to give the option to make drinking a vampire's blood a way to pass along the curse, but since it looks at item materials and contaminants and so on, when we get to poisoned apples/alchemy/etc./etc. that'll work without any additional fiddling. It should also simplify some modding workarounds (any added food material or liquid material can be given ingestion syndromes).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:56:41 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:04 pm »

The question is if "Bloodsucking" counts as ingestion or as something different.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »

Hmmm, time to add in an effect to vampire blood so that drinking it, as a vampire, will cause nasty things to happen.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:19 pm »

The question is if "Bloodsucking" counts as ingestion or as something different.

Oh gotcha.  Yeah, I'm sure it counts as ingestion.  Not sure about sucking animal blood to satisfy your vampirism though -- Toady mentioned unconscious bandits as a more ethical source, so maybe that means it has to be the same species.

edit: I forgot to mention that the frozen ramp fixes probably got me more excited than any other part of tonight's devlog.  I'm not gonna count on all of these being fixed, but it's a start.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:20:07 pm by Footkerchief »

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »

Hmmm, time to add in an effect to vampire blood so that drinking it, as a vampire, will cause nasty things to happen.
Nonsense. We should encourage vampire cannibalism somehow.

Alternatively, vampire cannibals could just be given an effect that makes them rather obvious. Such as an uncontrollable tendency to glitter...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 19, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »

Actually vampires fighting each other could be a very natural thing. I mean if you go have a limited resource say 1000 people you cant support say 2 or 3 hundret vampires otherwise you would run out of "food". So group 1 killing group 2 makes sense in sense of securing a resource to survive. That or both groups have to work together to overtake and breed humans like livestock. That would be interresting situation actually.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 20, 2011, 01:50:02 am »

Alternatively, vampire cannibals could just be given an effect that makes them rather obvious. Such as an uncontrollable tendency to glitter...

Man I was just thinking like longer teeth, maybe nausea or a chance for beserk rages. Sparklepire though? That's just nasty.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: December 20, 2011, 03:49:52 am »

What about, say, chopping off someone's arm and drinking the blood that spills on the ground?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:27 am »

Not sure about sucking animal blood to satisfy your vampirism though
Watership Down all around and not a drop to drink, that's what I call rabbit starvation .

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 20, 2011, 10:28:34 am »

What about, say, chopping off someone's arm and drinking the blood that spills on the ground?

If it doesn't work with a corpse, it definitely won't work with a blood spatter.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: December 20, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »

If it doesn't work with a corpse, it definitely won't work with a blood spatter.
When testing if you can get Vampirism from the blood, Toady stated he was in Arena mode, his adventure licked the blood splatter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: December 20, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

Multithread the optimization code, then run it through a profiler and WinRAR it (double compression) a few times. Guaranteed to squeak out a solid 10 FPS gain
This is joke, right? Right?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: December 20, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

^^^ yes

When testing if you can get Vampirism from the blood, Toady stated he was in Arena mode, his adventure licked the blood splatter.

I thought Sizik meant drinking blood for the purpose of satisfying vampiric thirst, not contracting vampirism.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »

^^^ yes

I thought Sizik meant drinking blood for the purpose of satisfying vampiric thirst, not contracting vampirism.
After rereading it, that does sound like what Sizik did mean.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 298