Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 841138 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1965 on: June 10, 2012, 04:54:10 am »

I thought we were going all natural!

Take it from someone who's done it twice - If there haven't been any migrants in a decade, the civ is dead and all that remains are the ones in your fort.  Protect them however you can, because there aren't any more coming and the current ones aren't likely to breed.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:10 am »

Come to think of it;  I think the last time Deathgate had migrants was during MY turn.  Does this mean I'm partially responsible for the extinct of a third dwarven civilization?  :-\

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »

I'm kinda leaning towards the danger rooms on this one. Deathgate is arguably in the endgame if we're not gonna get migrants again ever; all that remains is to ensure that whatever happens is more awesome than humanly possible.

What would DO it, though? At this point, berserking CARP dwarves is arguably the only thing epic enough to really make a good show of the ending.

How does Reclaim mode work when the civ is dead?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »

How does Reclaim mode work when the civ is dead?

Fairly well, it seems, given how the reclaim of Swordthunders seems to be going.  Though I think they picked a different civ or something.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 10, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »

I vote to make a danger room. If you can get it working before my turn, NCommander, I can make pretty much every military dwarf we have spend most of my turn in the room while everyone else is enacting my plans. By the next person's turn, we'll have a military of demigods and a clean fortress.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1970 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:40 pm »

Well, we can lessen the cheat by only using 1 or 2 training spears.  Less spears equal slower training, so it's slightly less broken.  Depends how low their combat skills are and how much of a boost they need.

Still though, they sound like super dwarves already.  And what better way to add to the epic that is Deathgate with a dying civilization making Demi-Dwarves as super-soldiers/weapons of mass dwarfstruction.

Oh and, if the leader of the CARP marines isn't named yet, I'd like a redorf. (because my dorf is probably long dead.)  Baring the leader, any will do.

Believe it or not, your still alive and kicking. He just finished pumping the water into the trade depot for the second set of CARP training. Unfortunately, one of them I locked in is unhappy so I have slight concerns for his mental wellbeing. I will have to keep a close eye on him.

(my dwarf and Scalliper are the current militia heads after the last military reorg to split up CARP/non-CARPs.

I thought we were going all natural!

Take it from someone who's done it twice - If there haven't been any migrants in a decade, the civ is dead and all that remains are the ones in your fort.  Protect them however you can, because there aren't any more coming and the current ones aren't likely to breed.

+1

They are breeding, just slowly. I got a birth on my turn already. Hence the attempt to trigger a dorfsplision

I vote to make a danger room. If you can get it working before my turn, NCommander, I can make pretty much every military dwarf we have spend most of my turn in the room while everyone else is enacting my plans. By the next person's turn, we'll have a military of demigods and a clean fortress.

Sounds like the Ayes have it. One danger room coming up, hold the onions. Need to work out the best ideal design for the thing. Needs to incorporate drowning, dodging, and other stuff, etc. Never built one of these before (I usually use live fire/goblins to train my military).

Three problems though; first, we only have legendary carpenters, or no carpenters, and masterwork training stuff might still cause a fatality. Second, no mechanics; wiring up that many training spears might be painful. Third (and most important), we don't have enough sets of complete armor to get everyone equipped. Atomic is now Novice Armorsmith, and is running out of metals, we've got virtually no steel, copper, or anything at this point (he's using the last bits of bismuth bronze to practice with). We do have plenty of candy he could use, but it won't be masterwork or anything ungodly). We also lack furnace operators to smelt additional ore (I'm not sure if we HAVE any ore stockpiles left at this point).

I think we should start considering bringing Deathgate to a conclusion at some point though. I have ideas for a rather epic ending, but given we do have a new shiny release with minecarts, it might not be a bad idea for Deathgate 2: Die Harder!
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:42 pm »

Really?  My dorf is still alive?  Can't say I saw that one coming.

Truthfully though, Deathgate is inching towards it's end.  Therefor, I suggest the following stratagem.

Use 18 CARP marines, all danger-room trained, to stop the demons in Hell.  We should retake and clean the Hellbunker and then leave it sealed against Hell to prevent future incursions.  There still a good portion of cotton-cady armor and weaponry down there that I don't think ever got recovered.
I don't think we have the manpower to wall off hell, so I won't suggest it.

We should also invade the cave layers and defeat the 10 or so forgotten beasts that are probably still milling about down there.  If possible, we shall wall off and take all of the caves as our own. (This was an early goal that, alas, become nigh impossible after my last turn due to the loss of Karakzon and Tryrar.)

1. Train CARP.
2. Re-invade Hell
3. Defeat any and all demons located near the Hellbunker.
4. Retrieve ancient dwarven equipment.
5. Invade Caves.
6. Conquer caves
7. Conquer and secure surface against further invasions.

I find it unlikely that we'll reach step 7 but it's a goal.  If, somehow, we reach this point, then Deathgate shall for ever stand as the fortress that defied the reaper.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:44:29 pm by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1972 on: June 10, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »

Really?  My dorf is still alive?  Can't say I saw that one coming.

Truthfully though, Deathgate is inching towards it's end.  Therefor, I suggest the following stratgem.

Use 18 CARP marines, all danger-room trained, to stop the demons in Hell.  We should retake and clean the Hellbunker and then leave it sealed against Hell to prevent future incursions.  There still a good portion of cotton-cady armor and weaponry down there that I don't think ever got recovered.
I don't think we have the manpower to wall off hell, so I won't suggest it.

We should also invade the cave layers and defeat the 10 or so forgotten beasts that are probably still milling about down there.  If possible, we shall wall off and take all of the caves as our own. (This was an early goal that, alas, become nigh impossible after my last turn due to the loss of Karakzon and Tryrar.)

1. Train CARP.
2. Re-invade Hell
3. Defeat any and all demons located near the Hellbunker.
4. Retrieve ancient dwarven equipment.
5. Invade Caves.
6. Conquer caves
7. Conquer and secure surface against further invasions.

I find it unlikely that we'll reach step 7 but it's a goal.  If, somehow, we reach this point, then Deathgate shall for ever stand as the fortress that defied the reaper.

Couple of problems with this.

1. The hellbunker is currently secure (ignore the hole I punched in it for the moment). What is still down there is now !!equipment!! due to the magma sea breach.
2. Currently Hell is flooding with magma (the half-built spire is causing magma to pool infront of the hellbunker; what was the entrance into hell is currently leading into magma).
3. THey're about to be obsidianized :-).
4. Its either on !!FIRE!! or about to be encased in obsidian.
5. 1 & 3 is doable. 2 seems to have flooded, its more water than cavern at this point.
6. No problem here
7. No problem.

That being said, I believe with a modified version of my magma pouring plan, it would actually be possible to wall hell off. If a series of magma and aquaducts were brought to each edge, we could rapidly obsidianize the  entire thing, and then just have masons cap off Z-5. of hell where necessary. The eerie pits will still have to be capped by hand, and plugged, but its not impossible. I've found that as long as we don't have a path from the bottom of hell, demons seem to ignore us. I currently have two holes in the hellbunker, and nothing has moved.

(again, I believe we don't actually have any flying demons; the ones that shot out of the volcano simply SWAM out).
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #1973 on: June 10, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »

Adamatine should go non !!FIRE!! after a while.  If you can try to minimize the equipment loss while secure hell, it'll make strengthen the military greatly. 

It's probably not doable by this point, but it would be nice to retake them.
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1974 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:27 am »

Adamatine should go non !!FIRE!! after a while.  If you can try to minimize the equipment loss while secure hell, it'll make strengthen the military greatly. 

The equipment MIGHT survive the casting process and then can simply be mined out.

(woo, another Deathgate first; farming and mining obsidian in hell!)

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33:20 am »

The equipment MIGHT survive the casting process and then can simply be mined out.

(woo, another Deathgate first; farming and mining obsidian in hell!)

According to the wiki, they should have survived since they're magma-safe.

In which case, cast away!

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 11, 2012, 12:35:04 am »

Oh man, this is epic. BTW, I do NOT want to be the one to end Deathgate. I'm not nearly incompetent enough or epic enough. Also, I can't write worth carp.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:00 am »

Wow. This is truly epic.
I like the "cast hell in obsidian" idea, but I am unsure if encased equipment can indeed be retrieved... We got lucky with the Demons, only non-flyers, so praise Armok for that.
The deployment of the CARP team to hell is unfortunately delayed, I guess, until the magma is completely obsidianised, drained away and the remainder evaporated, if we do not want the CARP to become nice memorial statues early on. This leaves us some time for training them, even without Danger Rooms (which I oppose). Then, reequipping them with Adamantine weaponry and sending them against the wildlife and Forgotten Beasts in the caverns will train them more (though it could kill some of them...). I guess that there still should be plenty of adamantine to be turned into threads, wafers and finally cutting edge dwarven weapontech. I don't know if we still have smiths worthy to touch Armok's gift to dwarvendom, though....

Edit: I also like the new subtitle "Götterdämmerung", the final battle, Ragnarök. (though this would be a fight against the Ice Titans riding their glaciers, who would not turn down the bloody music and still have not returned our lawnmower  :P )
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:30:30 am by gunpowdertea »
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:19 am »

Edit: I also like the new subtitle "Götterdämmerung", the final battle, Ragnarök. (though this would be a fight against the Ice Titans riding their glaciers, who would not turn down the bloody music and still have not returned our lawnmower  :P )

Glad ya like it :D

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 11, 2012, 04:35:15 am »

I reckon the remaining dwarves of Deathgate shouldn't rest until the entire fortress lives in an expanded Hellbunker.  Beds, farms, workshops and automated water tanks to keep them clean and hydrated between booze barrels.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 175