Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261211 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11580 on: July 03, 2015, 11:48:24 am »

^
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, yes I am, as otherwise Death is a Slap on the Wrist.
I said it ingame, but playing on Mediumcore in Expert is an exercise in masochism.

That said, I didn't have any trouble with hardmode bosses. Just the Solar Tower and Moon Lord, and briefly the Cultist and Flying Saucers before I figured out the tricks. But yeah, the Moon Lord[/i] is super annoying, given that he despawns if you die and takes at least an hour or two just to spawn him.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Black lives matter.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: July 03, 2015, 12:10:29 pm »

As I see it, the whole point of Mediumcore is that you're supposed to play with a group due to the challenge.  You have backup equipment, multiple forward outposts, etc.  Edit: Shameless plug for me trying to assemble a Mediumcore crew :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: July 03, 2015, 12:17:23 pm »

Expert Mode's got me decked pretty hard. I've got molten armor and a molten bow and I'm scuffling for more damage mitigation, but I can't seem to sustain against the likes of Skeletron, and I've just sort of laughed at the idea of engaging the WoF.

Guess it's time to set up some mushroom/herb farms and go fish. :/

Expert Mode IMO is for multiplayer.

Given that the mid range bosses can kick the butt of even someone decked out in top tier equipment... Well ignoring exploits that people have found.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: July 03, 2015, 12:28:25 pm »

Hhnnnooo... anything below hard mode bosses are scrubs to someone decked out in the top-tier stuff, even in expert. The initial hard mode bosses aren't even that hard, especially with some very limited arena construction and potions. Still haven't reached plantera and beyond, yet (though I could kick awake the golem pretty trivially, at some point), but you don't really have to exploit for most of the bosses in expert hard mode. Maybe the very high end ones, but most of these things are still pretty much getting casually pushed in by a character with top-tier kit. And in my case, that's with significant performance issues making dodging and whatnot a complete crapshoot half the time.

E: And hell, the character I'm using isn't even genuinely kit out for this stuff -- I'd be doing a lot better with a different armor set and some accessory rejiggering, as well as some extra potion farming and whatnot. It's still roughly shroomite-etc. tier stuff, but even without full optimization things are going pretty well in expert, so far.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:34:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: July 03, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

Expert Mode's got me decked pretty hard. I've got molten armor and a molten bow and I'm scuffling for more damage mitigation, but I can't seem to sustain against the likes of Skeletron, and I've just sort of laughed at the idea of engaging the WoF.

Given that the mid range bosses can kick the butt of even someone decked out in top tier equipment... Well ignoring exploits that people have found.

Untrue. If you had former endgame gear, everything up to and including Golem/Plantera is relatively smooth sailing in Expert as long as you do the proper prep work. Fishy is a pain, but the real burn doesn't start until the new content. That, though, is going to kill you dozens and dozens of times, especially the Solars until you figure out their trick.

3. Run Resize Enable

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: July 03, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »

I don't even want to imagine the solar pillar on Expert mode. It's bad enough on normal. Can't stay on the ground because Corites will get you. Can't stay in the air because Crawltipedes will get you.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

And here all I've had time to do is start a small new world, and explore enough to find crimson to the right and a desert (with big sandstone cavern of some sort) on the left. No cave systems so far, and world is expert mode so my pitiful starting equipment can't keep up ._.

How some of you people managed to reach the newest endgame content already is beyond me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: July 03, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »

By not starting over from scratch :V

That's the easier way, anyway. There's been enough time for someone to marathon their way through the game, though, if they had the time for it (and maybe didn't start in expert :P).

Personally, I did try starting out for a little bit. If I had managed to reach or maintain a steady 30 FPS or something, I probably would have kept at it. But that didn't happen, and trying to do expert from the start when you see dips into single digit FPS when the screen is particularly hectic is just Nope. I've still had cases where I lost >1/2 my (500, at least until I get around to making those max health boosting potions) health in the stutter between frames :V
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:58:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: July 03, 2015, 01:58:03 pm »

Yeah, I just started a 1.3 Expert world in SP and bumrushed the old content. In Ispil's server I believe the rule we're following is that if you could theoretically have an item at whatever point we're at, you can use it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »

Untrue. If you had former endgame gear, everything up to and including Golem/Plantera is relatively smooth sailing in Expert as long as you do the proper prep work. Fishy is a pain, but the real burn doesn't start until the new content. That, though, is going to kill you dozens and dozens of times, especially the Solars until you figure out their trick.

I meant they can.

It was odd actually taking real damage from the wall of flesh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: July 03, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »

Fair enough.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: July 03, 2015, 02:45:17 pm »

Yeah, the damage ramp is pretty significant, heh. Expert mode may add some extra AI stuff, but from what I've seen so far the primary issue is just that it makes things hurt like hell. You can still sorta' tank some things, but you don't have much leeway with others anymore. Still need all the defense and health you scrounge up, but there's a lot more of "Don't get hit." with expert. Which is, uh. Good? Sorta'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: July 03, 2015, 05:08:53 pm »

It's really absurd in multiplayer though. Just now on Ispil's server we finally killed Skelly Prime. First try, there were ~5-6 people on, and he had 140k health. The second time it was three people on and he only had 80k health. But yes, Khai, Lightforger, and I knocked him out, so anything pre-Plantera is clear. :))

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:01 pm »

Hehe. Skellie prime was actually the first one I solo'd, though admittedly with better equipment than you could have had at that point, sticking to those limitations. Critter's a cinch if you can take out the limbs, ha. Fairly brutal until that point, but definitely the easiest of the three after. Twins keep killing me, though :V

... though that's mostly because the bastards keep autospawning, usually when I'm off doing something and don't really have time to get back to town for buffs and whatnot. Jerks.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 887