Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254329 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #11910 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:17 am »

*waggles hand* You can get your standard (and gold) chests and fish out of surface forest biome lakes, plus a few small other things (frog legs, zephyr fish, bomb fishes, double-jump fish). The really good stuff is found in other places, though. Either underground, or in ocean/jungle/corruption/hallow/sky/etc. Ocean's probably the easiest to immediately deal with/reach, and can give you some fairly improved (by which I mean just about the best pre-hardmode that exist) utility items (pickaxe, axe). If you're having trouble reaching the place, just mine up some iron/lead and wood, craft a few stacks of minecart track, and build yourself an easy route, heh. Or dig, I guess, but that's only a really viable choice for someone that already has late-game pickaxes, honestly.

As to your earlier question about how to take the sting out of exploration, saph, and making the enemies less scary... cheat. Would be my suggestion. Cheat engine trivially finds your current HP and freezes it, making pretty much everything at-most time consuming. It's also pretty easy to find your cash, specific ore stacks, the list just kind of goes on, and set them to whatever amount you please. Think there's already some inventory editing stuff available on the terraria forums, too. If the game's not exactly what you want to play, make it be that way :V
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:07:54 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11911 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:08 am »

Wheee! I've got fish equipment! This stuff is fun. It's nice to be able to mine quickly, too. Now I just need to find enough materials underground to make some good armor, and I can start fighting bosses!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11912 on: July 12, 2015, 08:54:58 am »

You know you can drop your gold in a chest/piggy bank right?

I'd recommend exploring the surface for as long as possible, finding the chests there & just below the ground.
Progress to the true underground once you've got a decent broadsword, spear, or boomerang.
Don't go down to the caverns until you can deal with the medusas, hoplites, spiders, etc.

And gold armor might be better than iron iirc.

I wouldn't just fish all your early/midgame stuff up, that kinda bypasses the entire early-game experience, when rope/wooden platforms are -useful- & jumping/boot equipment is a GODSEND.
Makes me feel you're robbing yourself of something, but eh what do I know.

Skybridges have the added benefit of protecting surface terrain from highly-disfiguring meteor strikes.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: July 12, 2015, 09:25:35 am »

They also have the effect of protecting you from fairly valuable meteorite bars/equipment.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: July 12, 2015, 10:30:59 am »

I wouldn't just fish all your early/midgame stuff up, that kinda bypasses the entire early-game experience, when rope/wooden platforms are -useful- & jumping/boot equipment is a GODSEND.
Makes me feel you're robbing yourself of something, but eh what do I know.
I think it's definitely possible to enjoy yourself after you unlock more powerful movement options, but it also shuts down some really interesting emergent exploration mechanics. I'd love to see a procedural exploration/action game like Terraria that was just a finely-tuned expansion of the low-tech options. Scurry around caves, dropping ropes and improvising platforms is really cool. Getting a grappling hook is awesome, also totally vital in Terraria, but I always have mixed feelings once I leave that early game mode.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11915 on: July 12, 2015, 10:36:07 am »

They also have the effect of protecting you from fairly valuable meteorite bars/equipment.
That's easily solved, just make your skybridge 10 blocks thick.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11916 on: July 12, 2015, 10:50:29 am »

Well everyone's play style is different, of course. I've had a LOT more fun exploring underground since I got my fish-style pickaxe. It doesn't take so long to dig, so I spend less time drowsily clicking on dirt and rocks and more exploring the caves and getting sweet loot. And since I've been able to explore more quickly, I've found a lot more useful equipment underground in little subterranean houses and such, including hermes boots and a regeneration band thingy. Still no more hearts, but maybe that's a good thing, since after the next one I have to get ready to fight the eye of Cthulhu.

And that's part of it, as well. I know that boss is coming soon, but even with all my higher-level equipment, it takes literal hours for me to dig up enough ore to make even a helmet and leg armor, let alone body armor. I'm still wearing cactus. That's not fun, it's just tedious. :/ And until I can get better armor, I have to hold off on mining out hearts and getting stronger, because I'm not in good enough shape to face the boss.

These types of games are always the most fun for me when I have high-level equipment and don't need to worry about monsters anymore. I know a lot of people enjoy the fiddly slow grindy part at the beginning, but that's not why I'm playing. So having this way of getting good equipment faster (by fishing) really makes the game a lot more fun for me (and there's still no shortage of tedious grinding for ore, anyway). I think that's a positive aspect of this game - that it has something to offer for many different play styles.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: July 12, 2015, 10:59:58 am »

In that case, go ahead and do what Frumple suggests and cheat in some more powerful materials/items for you to use.

Quick question: what size world are you playing on? In my experience larger worlds are better, because it seems to be easier to find tunnels on the surface and those tunnels tend to go deeper underground. And the deeper underground you go, the more ore you find, which makes the grind much easier.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: July 12, 2015, 11:19:48 am »

Larger worlds descend deeper, too. There's straight up more space for more ore and treasure and similar.
Nothing important here, move along.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11919 on: July 12, 2015, 11:34:03 am »

I don't remember ever having an ore problem. And nowadays I'm practically tripping over hearts in the expert world I made.

Did they change the Normal frequency or something?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: July 12, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »

The problem for me has been the new enemies. The only natural caves I could get to from the start were bordering on desert or the crimson on. I knew better than crimson, but exploring near the desert gives me antlions that tore me to shreds for a while. the only option was deathrunning or dropping a hellevator (at a snail's pace with the copper pick) and hoping I ran across something useful.

Once I finally got enough Tin to make a suit things started going better.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: July 12, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »

The problem for me has been the new enemies. The only natural caves I could get to from the start were bordering on desert or the crimson on. I knew better than crimson, but exploring near the desert gives me antlions that tore me to shreds for a while. the only option was deathrunning or dropping a hellevator (at a snail's pace with the copper pick) and hoping I ran across something useful.

Once I finally got enough Tin to make a suit things started going better.

i know that feel bro, my current expert run started me in a flat place with very few water, and between the desert and the corruption, basically the center of the map is just a small patch of grassy plains with few trees.

it was a pain in the ass to advance but the challenge was quite good.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: July 12, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »

in other news:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

finished the giant tree. i dont think this part can be used for NPCs so i'll just leave it like that, or use it for trophies/armor stands/weapon racks.....

had to cheat the sharpening station, living mahogany wand and mahogany leaf wand after spending more than 2 hourse looking for them in the jungle. this world has had me grinding like crazy for certain objects. the underground snow got me spending a good part of yesterday looking for ice skates.

right now the only grind i have is fishing, which is quite fun if you take away the annoying mobs interrupting and the randomness of the rewards. have just started to save on crates for when hardmode comes out. and need to craft more chests for the upcoming weapons and armors. im getting low on space for storage and....well, buildings.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: July 12, 2015, 06:13:15 pm »

On the world me and my brother are doing I'm making a giant tree to house all the NPCs, too.

To make it more natural looking, I made the sides of the trunk 3 thick and it moves one block either side every so often. Gonna have some thick roots at the bottom for both looks AND to act as stairs up into the tree. Plan on making large branches and either making the leafy parts into houses, or have them go onto a leafy platform and build the houses on said platforms. Also have a few houses go up the trunk.

Thus far I used up all 1800 wood I managed to gather. Trunk's exterior is done, and one side's roots are (almost) finished. Wish there was a way to convert things like mahogany into regular wood, or for you to use other woods for the wands.

what i most find annoying is that the leaf wand uses wood as ammo. why? im already spending wood into making the trunk alive, why spend additional wood for the leaves? it should use mana instead. if not for logical reasons, at least for material efficiency.

also there's missing living mahogany furniture and maybe living palm stuff :P

in fact it would be cool if all trees had a giant version, along with respective tools. imagine the possibilities...even for mushroom trees

in other news:

got the 20 quests mark with the angler, so now i can fish more better stuff now that i have the full set. still waiting for the travelling merchant or the next missions.

been spending the rest of the time cartographing the sky, there are like 5 sky islands at the left side. havent checked the right side. may need more potions....

oh and found the sky mill and the lucky horseshoe, i should get onto the deal of making themed housing, but when i have the materials.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:18:29 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: July 12, 2015, 06:23:11 pm »

... well, the mahogany, at least, does have giant trees as well. Though I don't think it has the tool equivalents. They're just, uh. Buried. It's kinda' weird, honestly. But yeah, there's giant mahogany trees in the jungle underground, if you dig around for 'em. They've got chests in 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 887