Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254561 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12570 on: October 04, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »

Dirt is flammable? Say what?

only the walls. the block on itself just gets burned a little. or that's what i've seen during fires.
DIRT ISN'T FLAMMABLE, WHETHER IN WALLS OR BLOCKS
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: October 04, 2017, 07:35:29 pm »

peat
Black lives matter.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: October 04, 2017, 07:53:48 pm »

Still. The ground in Terraria is not peat.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: October 04, 2017, 08:18:00 pm »

Dirt totally can catch on fire, though. Don't think it tends to stay that way, but most things, dirt included, can combust. You mostly just need the right kind of fire.

Now, the game's apparent mechanics don't entirely support the possibility of those torches being made from the right kind of stuff, but the game also has giant flying toothy eyeballs, some with integrated laser guns. Better not to question it and keep sand and water away from the open flame.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: October 04, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »

Dirt is flammable? Say what?

only the walls. the block on itself just gets burned a little. or that's what i've seen during fires.
DIRT ISN'T FLAMMABLE, WHETHER IN WALLS OR BLOCKS

i dunno, that's what happens with the mod. if i start a fire underground usually what's in background of the fire gets destroyed. yeah i gues dirt by itself doesnt catch fire actually. i was missing my noon coffee so my brain doesnt work correctly.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: October 04, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »

Dirt totally can catch on fire, though. Don't think it tends to stay that way, but most things, dirt included, can combust. You mostly just need the right kind of fire.

Now, the game's apparent mechanics don't entirely support the possibility of those torches being made from the right kind of stuff, but the game also has giant flying toothy eyeballs, some with integrated laser guns. Better not to question it and keep sand and water away from the open flame.

it must be because of how the mod manages fire. if a piece of wood gets above a torch it starts a chain effect, and once the fire consumes the object in the tile it also destroys the background (have only see it happen to grass and dirt walls, not sure of the rest).

anyways. made a basement to house the workshops and the storage. but i had to reforge my pickaxe. oh boy didnt feel this from the days of Minecraft. allthought its easier to replace equipment there. well, the pickaxe doesnt get destroyed, rather, it becomes dull or something so it looses damage and speed, and thus it becomes a pain to mine with it. so you have to manually repair the weapon at an anvil using ingots (5 copper ingots in this case). if the game didnt had such expensive material costs i woldnt mind loosing and building another if it didnt cost 15 ingots to craft (or money since i have the merchant).

EDIT:

also, bard weapons seem to be a bit over the top compared to common equipment, i mean, this flute deals 11 damage and it doesnt have any modifier, its just a chest drop.  its better than the rest of the stuff i've crafted right now. i mean, i just killed a Crimera with this thing, that's harder to do with other weapons in the same tier. WTF.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:52:56 pm by xaritscin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:19 pm »

Which, of course, leads to the conclusion that fire in Terraria is caused by chlorine trifluoride reactions. :P

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: October 05, 2017, 12:20:41 am »

had to rebuild half of the hellevator because i put a torch under a moss growth by accident. it ended putting more than half of the rope ablaze. i gathered enough herbs to do some potions, tried to test the first Thorium boss but i got rekt.

i mean, the wiki says the bird is the weakest of all the bosses in the modded game. so i thought, i have silk armor, it should just require potions and an arena. the fight was more or less equal twhen suddenly zap!, instapopped by thunder. i wasnt even hiding from that thing, just got blapped when touched by the thunder attack. either i forgot the defense rate of that mage armor, wasnt prepared in terms of health or i just underestimated that boss.

anyways, i still have 3 more charges, gonna get at least 200 health and try again i guess. and just dodge everything. the bossfight was cool, catched me by surprise with that move, my only complain was the music theme, doesnt sound like a boss fight, rather, it feels like a biome theme. too serene compared to the vanilla themes that more or less put you on alert or a sense of challenge. maybe its because its supposed to be the 1st boss of the mod so its kinda like a "calmer" fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:52 am »

Was watching SaltyBet earlier and saw someone had added a Terraria Warrior character. Good character, spams a lot of weapons I don't really remember anymore. Lost his match 1-3 though, and cost me some salt. But I had a good chuckle.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: October 05, 2017, 03:31:29 pm »

did some extra espelunking while waiting for the pots to produce more daybloom/blinkroot. found like 29 pieces of thorium not enough for any armor or equipment i think, but was able to make the anvil. also crafted a enchanted sapphire ring. it came with guarding, which is welcomed. oh and discovered that gem staffs can do a charged attack with the overhaul mod.

the combat mechanics for now have been cool, well, melee is tricky because of the raycasting system and hammering walls is a PITA with that hammer attack animation but it doesnt really limit you. also, boomerangs are considered thrown weapons instead, which is, well, logical i think. however, bombs seems to be bugged, i've already pointed it but charging to throw a sticky bomb eats time and well, these arent used for combat, they are tools so its annoying trying to break a huge ore vein with that system.

i think the only things that overhaul are missing is to fix some of the gore effects (because not everything has blood inside) and adding a holding stance to weapons, i mean, holding the weapon when keeping the button pressed instead of just doing the attack with a delay. it would make sense for heavy weapons like hammers and would make using bows/staffs/melee projectile weapons much less gimped to used.

EDIT:

after 3 more tries i finally won against that thunder bird boss. dodging is a must when you dont have invulnerability timers. and even then i was getting 1 shotted by some of the most basic attacks for some reason. the good thing is that it dropped a warding zephyr so now i have extra mobility and well defense. this should help against the other low tier bosses.

the amethyst staff served me well but i had to swap to the flute and have a sapling summon to keep control while damaging the boss. next thing im gonna check is the underground tundra, havent had luck getting the compass or the hook in the caverns. also, i've explored the left side of the map, for now, most of this world has the crimson on the left. the jungle is pristine for now. and the dungeon spawned on a water body so when i opened the door it must have flooded at least 1 room. this should be a good oportunity to try fishing in the dungeon, if the amount of water that was displaced is enough for it.

oh and there was only 1 water chest in the eastern ocean, it came with the flippers which is good. allthought i wasnt getting the bonuses for some reason. must be the overhaul mod.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:52:01 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »

started all over again, turns out the hellevator wasnt centered and well, too much work filling again the space. new world and character now that im much more focused. the spawn is quite pristine, there's several tunnels leading to the underground, and i've found a lot of chests. already got the aglet, the radar and assorted starting items to kickstart the base. i found a wand of sparking so i can start more or less my mage playthrough, the sad thing is that since it shoots fire i have to be carefull with it. so in order to evade the whole fire issue i crafted an Ignite magic gem, i gain more or less the same effects of the wand at the cost of 2 stars and a topaz, but at least this one doesnt cause a wildfire and the on fire effect doesnt spread fire in the surroundings so its a very reliable weapon.

this start has been really good to be honest, now i just need to gather more web for doing the armor set and expanding the house.

EDIT:

oka RNG is crazy this run, 2 cabins while exploring the most extensive tunnel, first one has spiked shoes, the other has hermes boots and now yellow slime dropped the staff. wut
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:48:57 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:40 am »

finally maxed mana and started stocking on stars. silk armor is finished and found some usefull stuff like the magic mirror and the trident. the base got expanded and completed the storage with some chests that were past the desert and into the jungle. there's a lot of tunnel hills in this map. the jungle has one, the tundra has one (i think) and there's a lot of them near spawn. one of those was right next to the tundra so i got to the underground part and into the ice caverns. found 2 heart crystals and the cloud in a bottle, there's a minecart rail there that crosses throught a granite cave and a marble cave with a cabin. i didnt loot the chest this time but i may return later, smooth marble should be a good replacement for the first floor of the base.

i also have enough potions dropped from pots for the bird fight, the only one missing is endurance, so i'll have to start fishing. but first i have to acomodate a pond that is right next to the base, seems suitable for surface fishing.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: October 06, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »

Anyone here who is at all interested in fishing owes it to themselves to build this cool setup. I made a modified version, and it is awesome.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: October 06, 2017, 01:57:34 pm »

Anyone here who is at all interested in fishing owes it to themselves to build this cool setup. I made a modified version, and it is awesome.

that thing is massive. it kinda takes out the thrill of travelling to a biome for it. can understand it for hardmode, but you can stock on the fish during pre-hardmode anyways since the only stuff added are just a few drops, quest and hallow fishes.

meanwhile.

defeated the thunder bird on the first try with a pierce gem and the slime staff as backup. the fight extended to the night but i won in the end. got a hatchling staff but no zephyr this time. may farm the bird later for it. hp cap is 180 to evade the EoC, no blood moons yet. there was a slime rain, the whole base looked like a Splatoon arena with slime paint everywhere. it took a lot of slimes to summon the king and since there wasnt a high place to evade the other slimes, i had to use the pond as a fighting pit (the king sinks to the bottom while the rest stays floating above, easier to clear).

after half a day fight finally cracked that thing, got the slime gun (which has a special effect now, slimed enemies get extra damage from fire) assorted stuff, and 2 pieces of the ninja armor. no hook or mount sadly. only missing thing for now is waiting for a blood moon to defeat the patchwerk and farm for the resto f the GTS components to make a hellevator. there's no more tunnels to explore for now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:39:36 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: October 06, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »

breached another chain of tunnels from a small crag in one of the old ones. got rubies, sapphires, a compass and 3 heart crystals. crafted a enchanted sapphire ring, magik staff and started working on the hellevator. the travelling merchant came in the morning with a stock of stop watchs, dynastry wood and shingles. bought one accesory and a full stock of the rest.

the first floor of the base is now made of smooth marble with white dynasty walls. the only thing missing is finding a block for the lateral walls. im still using wood and grey brick looks dull. theres currently a blood moon going on, already walled the doors and im using the slime staff to take care of the mobs :P
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 887