Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1259551 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12540 on: October 02, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »

I hate nymphs. Personally they are the #1 reason I play expert mode. 100% drop chance for the metal detector? Yes please.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: October 02, 2017, 08:24:07 pm »

I tried to play on Expert mode for a while.

After losing to either Queen Bee or Skeletron for the tenth time, I took the baby route and decided that I should focus on actually getting through the game at least once :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:27 pm »

The key to expert mode is the Reaver Shark. This allows you to mine the good stuff right away. Also, get an ice sword, magic sword, or starfury ASAP.

Bosses then become a matter of potions, molten armor, the best ranged weapon you can manage, and a good arena.

Once you hit 180 health, save your heart crystals untill you have 11 of them. Then, once you are fully equiped and feel ready, use all 11 to hit max HP. That extra HP really helps.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:33:58 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:21 pm »

Sure, but there's still a ton of bosses I've never fought even in normal mode. I feel like jumping straight to their expert variants would just lead to tears.

So the current plan is to beat a normal world, then eventually progress to Expert. It'll probably only take another six years.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »

Tip for Nymph Farming(or any other monster farming): Dig a fairly wide, a few screen-length's worth, open area, covered with enough Water Candles for the whole area, add minecart rails to go back forth across. Maybe add some automated traps to kill off whatever spawns, and track boosters for AFK farming. Possibly also fill in an space around the farm area to keep monsters from spawning outside it.

Note: I haven't actually tried this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: October 02, 2017, 09:30:10 pm »

you dont even need to cheese the best materials with a Reaver Shark to win against the bosses in expert mode. the only requirement is that you have a properly set up arena with campfire, heart lantern
and star in a bottle, with the most critical potions like regeneration, ironskin and endurance (swiftness isnt even needed for most of them because you dont have to run).

Eye of Cthulhu -> 250-300 hp minimum for the fight, and Platinum/Tungsten with some accesories if you want to get extra defense. you can sit perfectly still while killing it

Eater of Worlds -> Arkhalis shreds this guy so fast you can just stay still, if not, you can farm goblin scouts to make the item and summon the goblin army for getting the tinkerer and spiky balls, the balls kill this guy quickly because of the penetration damage to all segments.

Brain of Cthulhu -> this thing is vulnerable to knockback, so look for a weapon that deals constant DPS and can knock the brain and the seekers. swords like the Falcon Blade or Arkhalis do this. Diamond Staffs too, not sure on other weapons. contact with it give status ailments so the idea is to evade getting hit.

Queen Bee -> her attacks are very telegraphed, if she charges you jump, if she starts shooting stingers you dodge, if she starts releasing bees you kill them, the only thing you have to watch over is the poison, get a Bezoar for this fight. outside of that you can pretty much take your time to kill her, also, there's honey around, you get an advantage.

Skeletron -> this guy is the first one where i say you have to dodge, why? because of what the head does if it hits you, you really dont want to get locked with the head, take the arms down as soon as possible and start dodging. you need high defenses (probably start adding Warding to everything you carry), and regeneration sources to heal from the skull attacks. other wise its typical Skeletron, oh and dont let it get to the morning.

Wall of Flesh -> you'll need a weapon to take care of the hungry and deal high damage quickly because this thing gets fast when getting close to dying. the reason i look for crafting lava waders in every run is because being able to reach one of the edges of the map to summon this thing. you may want to make the hell bridge, but still, running half a map is the safest option, and even then, you still have to make sure to make enough DPS to kill this thing even if it locks you.

and that's expert Pre-Hardmode. first 3 bosses can be taken down as soon as Silver/Tungsten, Queen Bee and Skeletron require Crimson Armor (or that's what i recommend). WoF is more of a racing match rather than a duel, feel free to use any armor you want as long as you can shred this thing while being faster than sonic the hedgehog.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: October 03, 2017, 12:15:45 am »

EoW is so ridiculously easy on any mode, in expert he just gains a weak ranged attack that is mostly ignorable.

I like to have full molten armor for all the bosses so I don't need to bother with potions and such, but to be honest it is lazyness inspired overkill.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:18 am »

Worst part about the Wall of Flesh is still the accidental summonings, especially now with the advent of those oh-so-"helpful" minions killing demons when you're not looking.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

was checking what was the deal with some mods and damn Thorium adds a lot of stuff. it kinda looks like an expansion pack for the game. my only complain is that falls in the same rule as other mods, making Post-Moonlord stuff instead of trying to be on par with the Vanilla Experience.

outside of that it has really interesting stuff going around, specially the new biomes, i think im gonna add it once i finish this run.

Calamity seems interesting too but it looks more on the overpowered progression side with all those weird bosses that dont really fit with Vanilla designs. everything seems so out of place. they even add lore to the bosses which honestly, doesnt fit with the game at all. Terraria bosses are just that, big bad enemies that you kill for progression, there's no backstory, and it works fine like that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:43:48 am by xaritscin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: October 03, 2017, 04:45:50 pm »

Did they nerf boulder traps at some point? I swear they used to be instant death on any sort of pre-hardmode armor, but I just got nailed by a boulder in crimtane armor and "only" took about 110 damage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:59 pm »

They may have gotten tuned down for standard mode, so that the tuning-up for expert mode would be even more noticeable. Not sure.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: October 03, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »

speaking of that i also saw a mod called well, Terraria Overhaul or something like that. it basically changes a lot of mechanics in the game to make it look more realistic or at least some of the base stuff like weapon and movement mechanics. the only complain i see are some of the sounds along with that screen jittering when shooting certain stuff or the unnecessary gore that stays on screen until getting out ot the world.

otherwise its interesting.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:51 pm »

What is this luck.

I'm trying to earn the Angler's items so I can finally craft the Cell Phone, and his current quest requires a surface forest fish. Well, there's only one decent-sized body of water which fits that criteria: a small lake that lays beyond the dungeon. I run on out there, and just before I arrive at the lake...

"King Slime has awoken!"

Well, fine. I'm well-equipped to take him on without any sort of arena. I slay King Slime and get some pretty good drops, including the Slime Saddle. I set up on the lake, pop a fishing potion, cast my fishing line...

"King Slime has awoken!"

Fucking what.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: October 03, 2017, 07:10:02 pm »

Let's see, a 1/200 chance of king slime replacing a normal monster in the outer 1/3 of the map IIRC? Lucky Guy.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: October 03, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »

I just trashed the EoW's easy. Meteor armor, and a Water Bolt from a dungeon dive to see if I could grab one. Honestly I just fought in the dynamited hole I made to blow up the shadow orbs, and the bouncing balls of death shredded the eater in less then a minute.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 887