Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260286 times)

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2011, 04:43:36 am »

Is it possible to unlock a door without smashing it? Where can I see my status, I mean hunger etc.? Why can't I pick more objects when Wgt 130/170 Vol 86/102? I get "You're carrying too many objects" message. I've been hit with bile and can see only adjacent tiles, what can I do? How big is boomers' range? I get blinded out of nowhere.Why drinking bleach didn't kill me :P? How set alight a molotov coctail? When I tired to use a lighter the gas station exploded :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:33:46 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:08 am »

Is it possible to unlock a door without smashing it? Where can I see my status, I mean hunger etc.? Why can't I pick more objects when Wgt 130/170 Vol 86/102? I get "You're carrying too many objects" message. I've been hit with bile and can see only adjacent tiles, what can I do? How big is boomers' range? I get blinded out of nowhere.Why drinking bleach didn't kill me :P? How set alight a molotov coctail? When I tired to use a lighter the gas station exploded :P
For the door im not sure if you can unlock it yet. I don't think there is any way to tell when your going to get hungry, unless your well hungry. And when you get the "You're carrying to many objects" message it just means that you have to many objects in your inventory, just see if you have any useless stuff like bottles or tin cans. When your hit with Bile it will attract any nearby zombies to attack you, it will eventually wear off. The other stuff im not sure of.

Also this is just a minor bug, but if you get the Carnivore mutation you can't take any drugs. It just tells you that you can only eat meat.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:46:46 am by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:55 am »

Is there a way to give weapons to followers,my guys keep getting killed :-\
Also would there be a way to make more NPCs spawn at the fort outside of town.I just go there and loot everything in sight since its basicly abandoned 8)

this game is great so far,I got into a science lab then got killed within Twenty seconds :'(

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:56 am »

I will try to answer some:
Can't unlock doors that I've found, unless it has a card reader.

Press @ for status.

Maybe the object you want is too large? Or are all you 'letter slots' filled, perhaps?

Just wait for bile to wear off.

If your flashlight runs out it slowly decreases vision. Or your glasses broke and you are nearsighted. Or you entered a dark area.

Maybe 'a'ctivate the Molotov? Might need a lighter in inventory.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:25 am »

Or are all you 'letter slots' filled, perhaps?
That's probably it. I hope that it will be fixed sonn.
If your flashlight runs out it slowly decreases vision. Or your glasses broke and you are nearsighted. Or you entered a dark area.
When I wrote about getting blinded out of nowhere I meant I get shot with bile without seeing the zombie which hit me.
Being depressed after losing a companion is a bit unbalanced. A few turns before the gas station exploded I recruited one guy, when he died I was s depressed that all my stats reached 0 and it was something about "losing a friend". I think calling someone who you have just met "a friend" is some kind of exaggeration.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:48:10 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »

Tantrum spiral anyone?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2011, 02:52:34 pm »

Is there a way to make passworded saves on the server?
I just got back to a save of mine, and I think it's been played.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2011, 03:07:54 pm »

Not yet. More save management is coming soon though :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

I wish there was a way to make cooked meat/veggies without hotplates. Whales, can you add a possibility to make fires that act as hotPlates? It would take a long time and have a chance of failing unless your good at a certain skill.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »

I can never seem to find hotplates, good thing I usually have a high electronics though so I can just make them. Have I mentioned how much I like the crafting in this game?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:16 pm »

Is it possible to unlock a door without smashing it?

Yep, just 'a'ctivate a crowbar and use it on the door. Then you can close it so zombies can smash it all up.
Where can I see my status, I mean hunger etc.?

You can't see your exact hunger, but '@' brings up all the character information we can know at the moment.

I've been hit with bile and can see only adjacent tiles, what can I do? How big is boomers' range? I get blinded out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure Boomers only have something like 4 tile range for their bile. I was able to close into one fast enough with my Jean Claude Van Damme character to take it out before it spewed onto me. Then I totally forgot all of my Left For Dead playing and didn't realize that Boomers explode at close range.

This game is extremely fun. I love Rogue Survivor as well, and this game fills part of the post-acocalpytic area that game ignores: Crafting and surviving with your skills. I can't wait till this game is atleast stable enough to hold a saved character.

The most fun you can have with this at the moment is get all of the non-crippling bad traits (Near Sighted, Heavy Sleeper, Insomniac, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, I also pick alot of the other ones if I'm trying to get crazy with it) and just create a super cyborg who can read books in 30 seconds. I got my Jean Claude character to level 10 Melee/Unarmed, but then I went to a lab and it crashed for some silly reason. Ah well.

Oh, and those "Purifier" bottles in the Lab can get rid of bad traits, even the ones you gen with. That's VERY handy, especially if you start with the Robust Genes trait and drink all the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you can find in the lab! (Or even eat the limbs of those poor clones, but Jean Claude is a vegetarian, not a maniac)

Oh, and I think you may know this already, but when fast traveling you can just teleport into the inside of a lab, not needing the Key or anything. It sure does make the game easier! c:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:32:22 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

also did you see my /windows/ error report while im guessing generateing the overmap

condensed ver: Segfault npc.cpp line 580

EDIT: I seem to have almost fully working windows version now.

Yes, I fixed that bug, thank you very much for spotting it.  Thanks also for your effort towards a port--if anyone can confirm that this truly works 100%, please let me know and I will make it "official".

Is there a way to give weapons to followers,my guys keep getting killed :-\
Also would there be a way to make more NPCs spawn at the fort outside of town.I just go there and loot everything in sight since its basicly abandoned 8)

this game is great so far,I got into a science lab then got killed within Twenty seconds :'(

Trade weapons to them, they (hopefully) should wield them.
Forts will be populated with NPCs as soon as NPCs stop crashing the game, drowning you in error messages, killing themselves through massive drug overdose, etc.

Being depressed after losing a companion is a bit unbalanced. A few turns before the gas station exploded I recruited one guy, when he died I was s depressed that all my stats reached 0 and it was something about "losing a friend". I think calling someone who you have just met "a friend" is some kind of exaggeration.

Are you playing on Eronarn's server?  It is running a slightly-old version, this issue has been fixed somewhat.

I wish there was a way to make cooked meat/veggies without hotplates. Whales, can you add a possibility to make fires that act as hotPlates? It would take a long time and have a chance of failing unless your good at a certain skill.
I can never seem to find hotplates, good thing I usually have a high electronics though so I can just make them. Have I mentioned how much I like the crafting in this game?

Planned for the near future is the ability to use nearby fire as a "hotplate."  Also, you will be able to use any items within a few tiles as tools or materials for crafting, rather than having to pick them all up.

The most fun you can have with this at the moment is get all of the non-crippling bad traits (Near Sighted, Heavy Sleeper, Insomniac, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, I also pick alot of the other ones if I'm trying to get crazy with it) and just create a super cyborg who can read books in 30 seconds. I got my Jean Claude character to level 10 Melee/Unarmed, but then I went to a lab and it crashed for some silly reason. Ah well.

Oh, and I think you may know this already, but when fast traveling you can just teleport into the inside of a lab, not needing the Key or anything. It sure does make the game easier! c:

Enjoy it while you can, Van Damme!  Pretty soon to block min-maxing I will limit each character to 3 good traits and 3 bad traits, forcing you to drop a stat or two if you want more points.
I'll also be taking that "fast travel" out, unless you turn on debug/gametester mode!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:37:26 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2011, 03:31:28 pm »

It's just luck, one of my earlier games I ran through had like 3 houses which had kitchen stuff EVERYWHERE, hotplates, frying pans, butter knives, cans of soda, etc.

I have some space / bw on my vps.

also did you see my /windows/ error report while im guessing generateing the overmap

condensed ver: Segfault npc.cpp line 580

EDIT: I seem to have almost fully working windows version now.

I had to comment out the timespec/nanosleep() in ranged.cpp but everything else in there seems work.

EDIT2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3676056/Cata_win32.rar

Download link. I'm sure everything everything will work. Be nice if someone could test ranged weapons

Quoting this so more people see it and test it, I sure plan to when I can find the time to sit down and start a char.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »

Can someone explain to me where to find the stuff to craft even something really basic? I actually haven't crafted anything xD

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »

I've only made wooden spears myself, but I've stumbled across a lot of crafting material like thread & sowing kits as well as soldering iron. (I assume those are for crafting, anyway)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 777