Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263116 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »

I'm interested Justin

And Whales, when will the bank/mine update be out?
Right it's for ubuntu, writing...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »

I need to flesh out the UI for throwing--it's annoying to press 't' and find the item you want every time, isn't it?
Not really. The fact that it autocenters on last target makes it bearable. It WOULD be nice if rocks stacked or something though, so I could choose the same letter every time.

Cash money I am uncertain about.
But its such convenient kindling!

Honestly, I'm really not sure gold would be worth anything to anyone at that point - the supply of living humans to the easy access to gold from scavenging plus it being utterly useless... I can't see it being worth anything, honestly.

Also, how are all these computers powered? For places like the bank, it would be interesting to have to power up the backup generator with gasoline so you can activate the computer system, so you can hack into it to open the vault. :P

And finally:
I now have myself an army, and it seems to be selfreplicating. Mwahahaha.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:18 pm »

I need to flesh out the UI for throwing--it's annoying to press 't' and find the item you want every time, isn't it?
Not really. The fact that it autocenters on last target makes it bearable. It WOULD be nice if rocks stacked or something though, so I could choose the same letter every time.

+1 to this. Stacking items would be nice, even if it's just stuff that normally comes in stacks like meds in ammo, to make inventory less cluttered.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:21 pm »

In banks, it would be awesome if, using the computers, you could initiate a lockdown of the bank, making the computer skill useful to the point of giving you a nice safehouse.

Another use of the computer skill would be a way of finding information using computers... Maybe being able to access an in-def description of the various zombies/animals/weapons/stuff you can find or revealing parts of the world map. (google earth? heh)

Maybe even high levels of computers could allow you to gain levels in other skills, providing you have a safe location with a computer. Maybe you can make it slower than with books to keep it balanced. A rare laptop item would be awesome, though.

Cash would be cool, just as a flavor item that is now useless in a bartering society. Maybe.

Would be cool if you added any of these things in. Thanks for being an awesome developer. :D

The lockdown idea is cool, and could be extended to the jail cells, too.  Lock zombies (or NPCs!) in the cells, or control the network from a laptop inside the cell and lock yourself in safely.
Using computers to access monster and item descriptions is a neat idea too.  Though it's one that a wiki could do for you ;)  The maps thing is already in the game!
Laptops are a vaguely-planned game mechanic.  The ability to load teaching software is a cool one; I'm sort of planning the ability to find USB drives with various random software on it.  But all that is a long way down the road.

This is my first time using linux, I figured out my problem, apparently I echoed my superuser password directly to the running command, so I think echo overrides my keyboard. What I did now is to have a separate sudo su command, just for becoming a superuser, THEN execute the file. It's OK now though.

Writing a script like that as a linux newbie?  I'm impressed!  It's your own business whether run cataclysm as the superuser/root, but you ought to know that doing so obliterates security entirely.  If you run cataclysm as root, I could make it infect you with viruses, delete all other software on your computer, steal your personal data and email it to me, etc. etc.  I promise I won't!  But hey, someone might submit a malicious patch to me--you never know.

I'm interested Justin

And Whales, when will the bank/mine update be out?

Bank, probably tomorrow.  Mines, tomorrow or Thursday.

Hopefully stuff will stack soon!  I worked on it once, it turned out to be harder than I thought, so I backed off.  I'll take another whack at it sooner or later.

Honestly, I'm really not sure gold would be worth anything to anyone at that point - the supply of living humans to the easy access to gold from scavenging plus it being utterly useless... I can't see it being worth anything, honestly.

Also, how are all these computers powered? For places like the bank, it would be interesting to have to power up the backup generator with gasoline so you can activate the computer system, so you can hack into it to open the vault. :P

And finally:
I now have myself an army, and it seems to be selfreplicating. Mwahahaha.

Well, bars of gold will be rare--1 in 10 banks or something.  Survivalist Alex Jones types are always going on about how gold will become the new currency after the shit hits the fan!  Sure, there'll be deflation--you can't buy a car with a bar of gold--but it'll still be worth *something*.

Computers are powered magically! by futuristic long-lasting power cells!  I like the generator idea, but it's a bit technically challenging.  I'll put it on the back burner and think about it for a while.

An army?  Are you talking about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:26 pm »

Well how about for the pre-apocalypse paper currency every faction has a chance of not using it or they do use it. The chance of not using it would be higher though, and the factions using paper currency would mean prices would be extremely high since anyone can find a stack of bills lying around.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »

Livestreaming Cataclysm tomorrow at 5:00 PM CST. Check out the B12 thread [url\http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87836.0]here[/url] or the livestream channel here

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 28, 2011, 11:20:35 pm »

Thanks, as for that superuser thing, I'll just keep sudoing for fun, I'll see what to do later. It isn't really complicated really, I just had to Google how the commands work and stuff. Ubuntu community is really informative. I can't even program much.

Anyway, here's my guide.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:19:24 pm by justinlee999 »

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 28, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »

I can't see my bodyparts HP on Heads' Windows version, is this normal?

Apparently when the game begins I can see it, but if I press the @ for the menu and then come back, for example, it goes away.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »

Whales, how do I unlock the saves folder in my Cataclysm folder? I need to savescum in case of crashing.
EDIT: Never mind, had to root myself, then change the permissions :P.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:34:27 pm by justinlee999 »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »

Well how about for the pre-apocalypse paper currency every faction has a chance of not using it or they do use it. The chance of not using it would be higher though, and the factions using paper currency would mean prices would be extremely high since anyone can find a stack of bills lying around.

Hmm, interesting idea.  Opens up possibilities for interesting inter-faction trading.  I'll put it down for consideration!

x2yzh9, I'm interested to watch!  The chance to look over a player's shoulder seems like it'd be a good way to learn about the game balance from other players' perspectives.  Eronarn is working on making it so that you can watch other players on his server--can't wait for that.

Whales, how do I unlock the saves folder in my Cataclysm folder? I need to savescum in case of crashing.

Code: [Select]
sudo chmod -R a+rw save makes save and its contents read/writable by all users.
sudo chown -R user:user save makes save and its contents owned by user--meaning you can run cataclysm without sudo in the future.
cp save/name.* /home/user/ copies the save files for character "name" to user's home directory.  Then you can copy them back into save with
cp /home/user/name.* save/

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 28, 2011, 11:36:11 pm »

Thanks Whales, for that solution, but I took the root account approach :P.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »

Alas, blobs do not work the way I thought. :(

My army is no more.

On another note, I just took out a spitter, two brutes, a boomer, three regular zombies, and 4 wasps (all basically on the screen at once) with nothing but a packful of rocks.

Didn't even have to use terrain to my advantage! (Though the wasps did manage to hurt me a bit).

Are there stronger zombie threats later on at some point?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »

Also if anyone uses my double-click launcher guide, tell me if it works.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2011, 11:48:50 pm »

Alas, blobs do not work the way I thought. :(

My army is no more.

On another note, I just took out a spitter, two brutes, a boomer, three regular zombies, and 4 wasps (all basically on the screen at once) with nothing but a packful of rocks.

Didn't even have to use terrain to my advantage! (Though the wasps did manage to hurt me a bit).

Are there stronger zombie threats later on at some point?

Hmmm, maybe I need to nerf throwing ;)  There is one type of zombie tougher than a brute.  And it's really tough.  There's not too many monsters tougher than brutes, period.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 28, 2011, 11:58:55 pm »

Admittedly, I do have throwing to level 11, and it still takes a while to kill things. The key is that playing a mobility character, there is very little capable of catching me, and rocks being so abundant its fairly easy to whittle things down. Though I'm surprised by how quickly the brutes were dropping... they didn't seem any tougher to kill than normal zombies (while the wasps were mercifully easy to kill, only 3 shots a piece, considering they are the only thing I've seen that can keep up with me).

Point being throwing doesn't really need to be nerfed, the issue is mostly that they can't kill what they can't catch. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:00:55 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 777