Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263576 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1140 on: July 06, 2011, 12:00:31 am »

Refinable scrap is a good idea, I might make a (chunk of iron)->(steak knife) conversion at least.

Regarding zombies appearing inside your barricades: this is a technical limitation of the game, and the fact that only a very tiny piece of map data is in memory at any given time.  It may well be that your barricades are far enough away to be out of memory, so the zombies walk right through them.  I'm hoping to solve this issue in the future (I never imagined the game would have fortress-construction as a play element), but it'll require some careful re-writing of code.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 06, 2011, 12:08:09 am »

Speaking of that... What is that wreckage anyway? I just assumed the first one I saw was some remains of a helicopter or something since there were kevlar vests in it and some dead soldiers spawned nearby.
It was always pretty clear to me.

For sure it was an elephant. It was flying on all four about its business when a spinning fluffy wambler hit it in the head, so it fell down from the sky and exploded in gore, leaving a pile of debris on its path.

Soldiers? They probably had a small camp and the elephant fell right on it.

Helicopters? Planes? Bah, people, you have too vivid imagination, think about more realistic things like I do.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 06, 2011, 12:24:56 am »

(The skirt is a matter of your own honor.  I've just settled for making female characters.)

Who would have thought crossdressing is the most viable way for men to survive the zombie apocalypse.

We need this, then:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:37 am »

: /

Still no way to see the char screen (@) for a German keyboard.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 06, 2011, 01:17:43 am »

How do you mean? The game actually inputs raw characters themselves, so whatever combination your keyboard layout have should work.
AltGr+Q I think you guys have.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 06, 2011, 01:20:43 am »

A question: using the map of the city the character is teleported into the chosen building, even if it has not been explored yet. Is a debug option or is a feature?

It would be handy if the game showed only the comestibles if I press 'E' or only the tool list if I press 'a'. Because now I always have to scroll through the (long) menu in order to find the right item.

Also, wearing a shirt, a rain cloak and a backpack encuber heavily the torso. Isn't it too much? I mean, I agree that the torso is encumbered, but not so much.

The teleportation is a debug feature, and using it is cheating.  But a great way to test some rarer areas for me!  In the future, this will probably be changed into some kind of "fast travel" tool, with the passage of time and the possibility of encountering monsters a threat.

I agree with you on only displaying relevant items (e.g. food for 'E', armor for 'W', etc).  It's on my todo list!

Torso encumbrance isn't that bad; it's only an issue for players who melee a lot.  In which case, a backpack may not be the best option!

Thanks for the response, you're doing a good job!

Guys, how do you create barricades? I crafted a nail board, but I don't know how to seal doors or windows.
Also, zombies can see through barricades?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 06, 2011, 01:23:33 am »

How do you mean? The game actually inputs raw characters themselves, so whatever combination your keyboard layout have should work.

Nope, trust me, I've tried.

@ on my keyboard is ctrl (strg) + alt + Q.

Most south east key + key to the right of the windows key + key right of tab.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 06, 2011, 01:24:55 am »

Guys, how do you create barricades? I crafted a nail board, but I don't know how to seal doors or windows.
You need two-by-fours, nails and a hammer for barricading, not nail boards.
You do that by 'a'pplying the hammer to a nearby door or window.

And no, no line of sight gets through. Noise will still attract them, though.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:08 am »

Nope, trust me, I've tried.

@ on my keyboard is ctrl (strg) + alt + Q.

Most south east key + key to the right of the windows key + key right of tab.
Okay, made an AutoHotkey script for ya until Whales figures this out.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6sy9z8rifbhpp3i

Alt (any, left or right one) + V = @

EDIT: Wait, you are on Windows, right? If not, nevermind, this won't help you, AHK is Win only.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:35:25 am by FunctionZero »

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 06, 2011, 01:54:24 am »

You need two-by-fours, nails and a hammer for barricading, not nail boards.
You do that by 'a'pplying the hammer to a nearby door or window.

And no, no line of sight gets through. Noise will still attract them, though.

Thanks, I'll try as soon as possible!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 06, 2011, 02:25:56 am »

I can't fall asleep and there is a zombie breaking the barricade but the barricade never breaks so I can't sleep but there's acid rain outside that I know somehow so I can't go out plus it's dark and my flashlight is low stop trying to break the barricade it's not letting me sleep it's late and I can't sleep and my milk is rotten and it's dark when will morning come

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41:02 am »

Make this work when you have a car (or other vehicle) only, then if you have NPCs you have to wait for them to get in the car too,
though zombies can still attack until you leave the site, so it's possible to have to leave your friend behind to get eaten like in the movies.
And each trip would use a little gasoline.
This sounds pretty solid and awesome.

I'd say make this interesting, be able to mow over normal zombies, fast zombies would be able to dodge, the electric ones would be able
to damage the car AND you in it with its currents, spitters could melt the tires, hulks could actually stop them with their bare hands and boomers
would be like walking land mines waiting to wreck your sweet ride.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 06, 2011, 03:57:38 am »

I still think that the zombies are too smart ... is not 'normal zombies I see that if A attracts the attention of other zombies on me, even if they do not see me

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:14 am »

the electric ones would be able
to damage the car AND you in it with its currents
Is a car not a Faraday cage?
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 06, 2011, 04:18:16 am »

the electric ones would be able
to damage the car AND you in it with its currents
Is a car not a Faraday cage?

The fact that you can talk on a cell-phone inside cars would suggest otherwise.  Y'know, windows and all.  You might be thinking of the fact that cars are relatively insulated from lightning strikes, because they only contact the ground through their tires, but an electric zombie, also being grounded, would zap you silly.

That being said, does being electrocuted actually do anything?  Because I've been zapped a fair number of times, but it never seems to cause any pain or injury.

And as long as I'm here, I really need to warm up somehow, but I'm already wearing a ton of clothes.  Sure, 47 degrees is pretty chilly, but I would think wearing a full set of fall clothing would be more than adequate to let me sleep.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 777