Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263013 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2820 on: July 24, 2011, 04:58:51 am »

- You now need gun parts to craft pipe rifles/SMGs.

This is honestly the only one I don't understand - the whole POINT of a "pipe rifle" is that its not made from gun parts, isn't it?
You are probably right here, but I thought that making a firearm out of a pipe and a board without ANYTHING else is not a good idea. I will think about an appropriate component.

I played your mod, deon, and got killed by unhittable mantises. Actually, there was only one, which makes it even worse.
They are just a bit more dodgy than rats. I kill them just fine. Make sure your encumbrance on your body is not more than 2 or your melee skill is high enough. Or just shoot it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: July 24, 2011, 05:04:08 am »

Is running light with little gear and high skills possible?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: July 24, 2011, 05:22:23 am »

Is my Nanyang Type 88 in the game yet, Whales? :P

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: July 24, 2011, 06:07:26 am »

My experience with the game: run around for 10 minutes seeing zero zombies and a multitude of rotten strawberries. Then I run into zombie scientists that shoot manhacks out of their coats and easily kill them with a two by four. How are you supposed to die a lot?

Also, I ran into a city where every item was owned, but there were no zombies, humans or corpses there. What gives?

The game seems too fantastical for me and didn't really feel like zombie apocalypse. Just running around in the woods an occasionally encountering some aliens.

My search for a great zombie apocalypse simulator continues. I'll keep checking up on this though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:12:08 am by LASD »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:14 am »

My experience with the game: run around for 10 minutes seeing zero zombies and a multitude of rotten strawberries. Then I run into zombie scientists that shoot manhacks out of their coats and easily kill them with a two by four. How are you supposed to die a lot?

Way too fantastical for me and doesn't feel like zombie apocalypse. Just running around in the woods an occasionally running into aliens.

My search for a great zombie apocalypse simulator continues.

Go into the cities. You will get beaten down. Or just keep running in the forest until the acid rain starts.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: July 24, 2011, 06:13:54 am »

Also, I ran into a city where every item was owned, but there were no zombies, humans or corpses there. What gives?

These are survivor cities, and are not fully implemented.  They won't be until NPCs get overhauled, so for now, they're basically just free storehouses of stuff.  Try to ignore them.

As for dying in general, your level of danger is greatly effected by how much noise you make.  Start firing off guns and bombs, and zombies will eventually be appearing as fast as you can shoot them.  Given regions also have regional threats too.  Being "downtown" increases the zombie rate, being near labs spawns Scientists (and other types more, I think), fungaloids hang out over large areas, wasp nests make wasps, anthills ants, swamps mosquitos, and goo pits have blobs.  And woods are typically safer but do have dangers - wolves will fuck up a character without guns, even though they'll run if you injure them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: July 24, 2011, 06:25:54 am »

The game seems too fantastical for me and didn't really feel like zombie apocalypse. Just running around in the woods an occasionally encountering some aliens.

My search for a great zombie apocalypse simulator continues. I'll keep checking up on this though.
You might be experiencing some bug. Strawberries aren't generated rotten, they'd need time to do so (definitely something that won't happen when you start fresh), and zombies run wild for everyone else, check out PlumpHelmetPunk's let's play for video evidence of this, we are definitely not struggling against invisible zombies. (OR ARE WE?!)

EDIT: Direct links for reference
Playthrough 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCCjIRjCcw
Playthrough 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX0wjdM_qo4
You will definitely see there are plenty of zombies. And other things.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:29:04 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: July 24, 2011, 07:38:58 am »

Way too fantastical for me and doesn't feel like zombie apocalypse. Just running around in the woods an occasionally running into aliens.

My search for a great zombie apocalypse simulator continues.

Go into the cities. You will get beaten down. Or just keep running in the forest until the acid rain starts.

The only way you are gonna die is generally through absolute carelessness... The game is not hard... Items are spawned everywhere, enemies are slow and your biggest threat is the weather.

@LASD: try my mod, it should be released soon. It's going to make the game more difficult and hopefully more realistic turning it into a zombie apocalypse simulator rather than a general apocalypse simulator. The changes can be seen here:

All items in the red are new changes to the Bastard Mod:

Monsters

- Removed all non-zombie and special-zombie monsters [excluding animals and some other special cases]
- Removed the starting pet dog
- New zombie description
- Tripled number of zombies
- Zombies spawn in all areas
- Increased zombie speed to a run
- Varied speed of zombies
- Improved zombie hearing
- Removed grace period. Zombies spawn from game-start
- Implemented zombie dogs as a new monster

Map and Terrain

- Removed knowledge of local terrain at beginning
- Made windows and some objects a little bit easier to traverse for humans and zombies

Items

- Added 'lemon soda'
- Added 'orange soda'
- Added 'grape soda'
- Added 'grape juice'
- Added 'condensed milk'
- Added 'cheddar cheese'
- Added 'carrot'
- Added 'onion'

- Added 'black berries'
- Berries are now based on color. Must be identified via the description to tell if it's safe to eat or not
- Rebalanced some drugs
- Renamed 'marijuana' to 'cannabis'
- Made 'cannabis' addictive
- Removed 'butter knife'

The implementation of item scarcity has begun starting with food.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:30:46 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: July 24, 2011, 07:50:24 am »

The main issue with the game right now is the spawning mechanic. There're no real moving hordes and stray zombies; all the enemies and events appear around you which make it a bit unrealistic.

It is a problem of many games, including Fallout New Vegas which I am playing from time to time.

There's just not enough world simulation.

Appearance of other survivors in later versions and better spawning mechanic could fix it. But it requires a lot of thinking and some work :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: July 24, 2011, 08:16:57 am »

My best character is now a female one! She lasted well until a fungaloid killed her. There should differences between men and women, so that choosing is another important choice to be made.

Right now, the only difference is in NPC interaction; those of both genders are most trusting of their own, plus women get a bonus on "worthwhileness" and males get a bonus on "fearfulness" when meeting a new NPC.  I won't be expanding gender differences to stats or anything.

Anyone else think the starting points are too low? It doesn't feel like modifying my guy in different ways would change much.

Tip: Giant mosquitoes run away if you shoot at them.

Too low?  I liked it better when you got 0 bonus starting points, instead of 6. ;)

Is my Nanyang Type 88 in the game yet, Whales? :P

Not yet, still tweaking some stuff.

Were you playing on the server?  My guess is that the game world there is pretty old at this point, and probably a lot of the zombies have been killed off.
The city with "owned" items is an NPC town; NPCs are disabled for now so it's pretty much a bonanza.
This game is not a zombie apocalypse simulator, and does not attempt to be.  It's more of a monster apocalypse simulator, which to my mind is much more interesting and much less repetitive.  I'd quit out of boredom pretty quickly if all there were were normal zombies.

The main issue with the game right now is the spawning mechanic. There're no real moving hordes and stray zombies; all the enemies and events appear around you which make it a bit unrealistic.

It is a problem of many games, including Fallout New Vegas which I am playing from time to time.

There's just not enough world simulation.

Appearance of other survivors in later versions and better spawning mechanic could fix it. But it requires a lot of thinking and some work :).

Well, hordes move slightly, but tend to stay in the same area.  Stray zombies exist, but really only appear outside of towns if they have a reason to be there.  Certain areas are infested with certain monsters.
It wouldn't be too hard to have monster spawn areas move randomly over the course of time, but I'm not sure what it would accomplish aside from making the spawns feel even more random.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Dippimunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: July 24, 2011, 08:38:58 am »

survivorzero.com/wp/
Not much has happened yet with this, being a fairly new project. But, as a hypothetical zombie simulator, it's stated aspirations are something I am greatly looking forward to!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:16 am »

I happen to like it, it's more surprising than a realistic way.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:26 am »

First Alpha release of my mod 'Cruel World'. Nab it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKS48F5I

Changes are as follows:

Monsters

- Removed all non-zombie and special-zombie monsters [excluding animals and some other special cases]
- Removed the starting pet dog
- New zombie description
- Tripled number of zombies
- Zombies spawn in all areas
- Increased zombie speed to a run
- Varied speed of zombies
- Improved zombie hearing
- Removed grace period. Zombies spawn from game-start
- Implemented zombie dogs as a new monster

Map and Terrain

- Removed knowledge of local terrain at beginning
- Made windows and some objects a little bit easier to traverse for humans and zombies

Items

- Added 'lemon soda'
- Added 'orange soda'
- Added 'grape soda'
- Added 'grape juice'
- Added 'condensed milk'
- Added 'cheddar cheese'
- Added 'carrot'
- Added 'onion'
- Added 'black berries'
- Berries are now based on color. Must be identified via the description to tell if it's safe to eat or not
- Rebalanced some drugs
- Renamed 'marijuana' to 'cannabis'
- Made 'cannabis' addictive
- Removed 'butter knife'

Scarcity of items is only half implemented. Items are more scarce but I want to tidy it up even more.

Let me know what you guys think. Off to make a post on the official forums.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: July 24, 2011, 09:25:01 am »

The game is easy to mod, somebody may make a mod with lots of slow zombies and no monsters. ...question is if that would be fun, i personally would try it.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:16 am »

First Alpha release of my mod 'Cruel World'. Nab it here:
It either was the Telnet version not being populated or this mod upping the spawn rates, but yeah this is more like it! I'm running from a pack of 8 zombies 2 minutes after starting. Now if I only could find a weapon.

Also, this is also in a nice precompiled format, Cheers, Ronin!
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 777