Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260267 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6825 on: October 12, 2011, 05:11:48 pm »

Also, just going to recommend finding a skirt and wearing that. The speed boost is well worth it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: October 12, 2011, 05:22:03 pm »

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

I was trying to see how much of a horde I could get to follow me, and jeez...
There are plenty more off-screen to pretty much all sides of me as well.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: October 12, 2011, 05:22:14 pm »

Hm. . . I just had a strange idea. Make a character, park him in a random street, save and quit. Then, start scum until you start in the next town over. Loot EVERYTHING. Take stuff to town original character is in. Drop loot a couple of blocks away. Save and quit. Go to the original character, go to the loot pile, get loot, go back up and drop loot. Save and quit. Load the loot character back up. Now the question remains, would the loot be saved with the loot character and be essentially duplicated for further picking up by the original character. Also, in retrospect, the other town isn't necessary. >.>

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »

Nah, it won't work.
If you pick something up with one char and save, it will be written to the map files. The other char won't find that loot there anymore.

The only way this would work is via running multiple instances of the game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: October 12, 2011, 06:00:53 pm »

That dude was tired of the neighbor dog shitting in his back yard?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: October 12, 2011, 06:05:48 pm »

I started with my long desired combination of internal furnace and finger laser. Not doing too well, though :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: October 12, 2011, 06:21:52 pm »

I started with my long desired combination of internal furnace and finger laser. Not doing too well, though :(

Whats that?

Also if you spend time stocking experience to about 600-800 before you go exploring (Not too hard. Eat, smoke, drink and read before going to bed) you'll level skills quite quickly. If you start with 1 dodge its much easier to build melee skills. My games often come down to me a hatchet and a lot of decapitated zombies. I often get 7 skill in melee, dodge, cutting and bashing by day 3-4 ish at which points I can decapitate a brute in 2-3 hits. Quick also helps with melee. Deft is only really good if you focused on strength and ditched Dex. With sufficiently high Dex (16+) Deft it kinda useless.

Also, be sure to carry 2 sewing kits at all times and make sure all your reinforcable equipment is extra-sturdy. Especially fragile stuff like Utility vests. Army pants are the best pants in the game that I've found so wear 2 pairs at a time and keep them in good condition. If you're a gunslinger, I suggest a backpack, Kevlar, trench coat combo. Else I suggest a double trench coat or trench coat and several utility vests.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:36 pm »

Be warned that if you have no sewing skill, you can easily destroy your clothes instead of fix them.  I usually just stop in at a house or store and try to replace anything that's damaged.  Utility vests are always a good idea though, or better yet fanny packs if you can ever find them.  I don't think they spawn anywhere except rarely in houses.

I notice Sunglasses haven't been added to the stock game yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: October 12, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »

Especially fragile stuff like Utility vests. Army pants are the best pants in the game that I've found so wear 2 pairs at a time and keep them in good condition. If you're a gunslinger, I suggest a backpack, Kevlar, trench coat combo. Else I suggest a double trench coat or trench coat and several utility vests.

Don't think that's a good idea. Encumbrance will make you slow and hittable.

In other news: my basement stronghold was wrecked by the actions of a Triffid queen that spawned underground. My laserfinger did short work of her, but now I have to find another place to live :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »

Anyone know a place I can send a save with a reproducible crash with construction?  I have all the materials to make a door, to make the door, and it crashes every time.  I've made sure to have all the items in my inventory, and I don't think there is anything else it could be using off the ground... If it matters, there are pits to the diagonal left and right of the door, and the door is being in the spot of an existing door.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:11 pm »

Ok, so that character died after another random spawn made a pack of hulks and a queen triffid spawn in the middle of town, next to my much-shittier makeshift refuge. Tore down it's walls and hulks pounded on me while I slept.

The moral of the story is that (at least until the crazyspawn quirks get ironed out) if you happen to see a queen triffid in the middle of a town, leave the place. More will spawn after that first one, wrecking every single safe harbor.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:53 pm »

Be warned that if you have no sewing skill, you can easily destroy your clothes instead of fix them.  I usually just stop in at a house or store and try to replace anything that's damaged.  Utility vests are always a good idea though, or better yet fanny packs if you can ever find them.  I don't think they spawn anywhere except rarely in houses.

I've seen both fanny packs and utility vests outside of houses. I think I've seen both in either clothing or sporting goods stores.

If you're a gunslinger, I suggest a backpack, Kevlar, trench coat combo. Else I suggest a double trench coat or trench coat and several utility vests.

Several utility vests and a trench coat? You realize how much that encumbers you, right? At that point, you're completely screwed if you ever have to dodge anything or fight in melee.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: October 12, 2011, 11:29:26 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that utility vests, like fanny packs, don't add encumberance. Backpack + kevlar + trenchcoat is crazy, though. One of those is redundant.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:26 pm »

There is a basic addition of 1 encumbrance per item on a body part, regardless of what the item's stats are. Hence why you can't wear a few hundred skirts to run super fast.

Incidentally, I've found that the best combination (for me) for a gun-centric character is this setup ([r] is reinforced):
-skirt [r]
-utility vest [r]
-sneakers
-fingerless gloves
-army helmet (if you can get it; otherwise substitute a different helmet)
-backpack (x2)

With that + Packmule, I've got 245 volume capacity, and with decent strength you can get a whole lot of stuff in there. At the moment, I'm a walking armory, with:
-Marlin 39A [silencer] [sniper conversion]
-Remington 870 [double clip]
-Glock 19 [silencer]
-Savage 111F [silencer] [sniper conversion]
-Steyr AUG [silencer] [sniper coversion]
-TDI Vector [silencer]
-Baseball bat
-Katana
-Molotov (x3)
-Ammunition for every weapon, minimum ~40 rounds (Remington, all others are more). I also have a raincoat, several days worth of jerky and water, a few unread books, a spy novel, first aid, a few basic items of equipment, and painkillers.

With all that, I'm overburdened a bit, but this character is fairly old, and has high dodge after spending quite a bit of game time raiding several large towns to find all of that gear. Besides, I'm pretty much untouchable at this point, as my gun skills have gotten high as well. With that Savage, I've got base stats of 54 damage, 105 accuracy, and 23 recoil. Since it is already a 3 round semiauto, all the sniper mod did was up accuracy and damage, and at this point I'm killing pretty much everything without leaving a corpse when I use it. When I run into a horde, I pull out the Vector and singleshot them until reinforcements stop coming. The only thing that makes me a reactive force rather than a proactive one are large numbers of skeletons, and that usually comes down to aggressively wiping out all other enemies before switching to the bat. I haven't had to use my katana more than twice since I found it, and my biggest challenge at this point is making sure I find enough hotplates and salt to keep up my supply of jerky, as I've got a number of glass bottles and a known clean water source.

Plus, double backpacks is much less encumbrance than body armor, trenchcoat, backpack, utility vests combined. I only use kevlar when going into labs, all other times it sits in a safehouse.

With sewing: Yeah, just practice on random t-shirts. If they get reall bad, use scissors and get some free rags.

Regarding experience: I always take the morale-boosting trait  (can't remember the name for the life of me) that adds +6 morale permanently. It is cheap in points, and that +6 boost means that every single tick that you aren't being affected by negative things, you have a chance to add to the exp pool, which is very, very good if you spend a lot of time crafting or reading. I typically end up gaining experience faster than I can level my skills, especially once I get a raincoat and start adding booze, mp3 players, and candy to the mix.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: October 13, 2011, 12:35:49 am »

Meh, I just picked the morale boosting trait, and no cigar. Without having been hurt or anything I was soon in too low morale to read or craft. I'm restarting and picking one of the traits I like (I'm going for inconspicuous lately. Helps my basement refuges to stay safe for longer)
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 777