Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260394 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7095 on: October 19, 2011, 04:10:37 am »

He means Numberpad.
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:17 am »

Setting PuTTY to nethack-style controls (or whatever it's called) works fine for Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup.

In this mode, the numeric keypad keys 1-9 generate the NetHack movement commands (hjklyubn). The 5 key generates the . command (do nothing).

If Cataclysm supports those movement keys (which it hopefully does, being a roguelike and all!), then this should work fine.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: October 19, 2011, 11:53:46 am »

I had an idea onto how to nerf Hand to Hand combat (and other combat exploits): use enemy/equipment categories.Certain sorts of attacks would have a penalty or a bonus depending on what class of enemy you were fighting)

For instance, while a decent level of unarmed combat might allow you to batter regular and not-so-regular zombies to death, it should be very hard, if not impossible, to wrestle hulks and bears to death. Hence the latter would be in a category that reduces damage from that source, and so on.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7098 on: October 19, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »

I don't think it is, it's a few versions back.

Also laggy as hell and no keypad support so i am outta there.
No lag for me, and numpad works fine... what you talking about?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

I had numpad on, i pressed but instead it did stuff like ask where to smash and walk in completely wrong directions :P
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:15 pm »

I had numpad on, i pressed but instead it did stuff like ask where to smash and walk in completely wrong directions :P
As G-Flex pointed out, you need to enable the numpad support in PuTTY.
*Hugs*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »

I've noticed that, in recent versions, clothing does have some kind of "layering" mechanic.  When I get attacked in the torso, it's always coats that get hit before shirts.  This is a good thing.  However, some pieces need some rearranging, because I appear to be wearing my wool poncho under my shirt.  I started wearing wool ponchos precisely to protect my precious raincoat from damage, and I keep hoping it works, because I remember seeing it happen once.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »

I've noticed that, in recent versions, clothing does have some kind of "layering" mechanic.  When I get attacked in the torso, it's always coats that get hit before shirts.  This is a good thing.  However, some pieces need some rearranging, because I appear to be wearing my wool poncho under my shirt.  I started wearing wool ponchos precisely to protect my precious raincoat from damage, and I keep hoping it works, because I remember seeing it happen once.

We also also seem to wear our utility vests outside our coats, which while it makes very little sense.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

In PuTTY session options, go to Terminal -> Keyboard. Under "initial state of numeric numpad", select "NetHack".

Then go to Terminal -> Features and check "Disable application keypad mode".

Also, you might need to have NumLock on.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: October 19, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

Or just press Ctrl+Numlock to turn the numpad on normally in Putty. ;)

Clothing is layered in the order you put it on.  I want to change this (if you find a new t shirt and put it on, it should automatically go under anything you're already wearing), but I'm not sure the best course of action, so it'll remain as such for now.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:32 pm »

Clothing is layered in the order you put it on.  I want to change this (if you find a new t shirt and put it on, it should automatically go under anything you're already wearing), but I'm not sure the best course of action, so it'll remain as such for now.

Is it obvious from the items' order in the inventory screen which is on top of which?

Regarding automatic placement, my initial thought would be to layer everything in terms of minimum -> maximum encumbrance, but there are some obvious cases where that doesn't work, like putting on a kevlar vest over your trenchcoat.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: October 19, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

Is it obvious from the items' order in the inventory screen which is on top of which?

Regarding automatic placement, my initial thought would be to layer everything in terms of minimum -> maximum encumbrance, but there are some obvious cases where that doesn't work, like putting on a kevlar vest over your trenchcoat.

Yeah, it should be underneath->on top, reading from the top of the list and going down.

And yeah, encumbrance was my first instinct but obviously doesn't necessarily work.  I might just end up adding an extra variable to clothing items to decide which layer they're on... but that isn't very expandable (if t-shirt is layer 1 and sweatshirt is layer 2, what happens when I add a button-down shirt, intended to be worn between the two?  I'd have to rewrite layer values all over).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »

Just make the layers bigger numbers. So for example, t-shirt is layer 10, sweatshirt is layer 20... if you add a button down shirt something you can make it layer 15, or 11, or whatever you want. That's what I would do, anyway.

(not a programmer, sorry if this is a stupid solution)

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: October 19, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

Oooookay, I've a got a crash in 0.1g Windows.  I came across a pile of scientists in the street and was looting them, when a Necromancer came along.  Any time I'd get close to him, the program would insta-close.  I kept experimenting with it - it wasn't him trying to raise nonexistent zombies, I think, because he kept doing the arm thing.  Then I tried throwing a rock at him, and that crashed.  I reloaded one more time, took two steps, crash.  Now the program crashes just trying to load the save.

Which is a real shame, but that's the roguelike life for you.  You can die at any minute anyway, save corruption is just one more hazard.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »

Did you try turning debug messages on and seeing what it spat at you?
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 777