Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260297 times)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7500 on: October 31, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »

Wow, I'm having terrible luck, or should I say my lab safehouse is. In the span of one day I got attacked by two Triffid Queens turning half of it into dirt and trees and then a thunder storm happens and blows up one of the few metal walls I have left. I go to check the damage and lightning strikes the wall right near my stockpile of burnable objects setting fire to half my food stockpile, a large chunk of whats left of the bedroom wall, some of the recently create forest, and the stack of two by fours I've been making to fix the place up. I'm glad I prepared for putting out fires or it would have been a lot worse. Installed Thermal Dissapation and Air Filtration System awhile back and a Fire Extinguisher was one of the first things I put in there. The Air Filtration thing didn't protect me from smoke like I thought it would but everything else went as planned.

It was pretty fun... Rebuilding isn't going to be though, assuming I even bother. I may just move into the actual lab and set up a bunch of shotgun traps to make sure nothing sneaks up on me.
My personality profile.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: October 31, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »

Hey, is there any tutorials as to surviving longer then two days?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: October 31, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »

Hey, is there any tutorials as to surviving longer then two days?

Spoiler: A bit spoilery (click to show/hide)

I have a question. Do guns eventually break?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:56:33 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: October 31, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »

I opened up the crafting menu in game, and... well... there aren't many things to craft. Is it skill related to what recipes you have?

Yes. The higher the skill, the more you can craft.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »

Spoiler: A bit spoilery (click to show/hide)

I have a question. Do guns eventually break?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nope, guns don't break yet. Item durability is planned though.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: October 31, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »

2: NEVER EVER, EVER. use unsilenced weapons or loud guns (ones that go KERBLAM or BLAM with a silencer). They will attract hordes literally 20 times as large as your common large horde

You know, that being said...
I spawned close to a gun shop. I usually choose a .22 handgun w/CB rounds and deal headshots at close range, but my choices were a little limited. But I had lots of 30.06, so I picked up the biggest, baddest rifle I could find and climbing through the broken windows slowed them down enough for me to pick them off one-by-one. Of course, I had zombies coming at me from halfway across town, and I had to flee this horde which was growing by the second... but I had slaughtered enough on the spot that I was actually GAINING ammunition. So I backpack'd the rifle, grabbed a pistol and fled. Rinse and repeat. And again. Now my gun shop is littered with corpses, I can outfit a small army, and my firearm skill exceeds 4, by the second day.

So I don't know. Use the big guns whenever you can, just make sure you don't cut off your own retreat.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: October 31, 2011, 03:45:11 pm »

Well using loud guns isn't good for survival, but hey, there's more to survival horror than JUST surviving.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: October 31, 2011, 03:56:37 pm »

Well, one thing that works well for me is taking a single Bear Trap with me where ever I go. Just drop it in front of whatever trying to kill you then poke it to death while it can't move. For extra fun pick up the trap after they set it off and reset it in front if them again before they can move. The whole thing seems kind of unbalanced, actually.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:00:32 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: October 31, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »

You used to be able to dig pits in front of zombies as they charged at you.
*Hugs*

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: October 31, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »

Do zombies and copbots fight? I have 15 copbots on my kill list, and I didn't kill them. I was at a police station when I died (I lived about half an hour).
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Straven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: October 31, 2011, 04:16:16 pm »

That's odd.. I'm already using the latest Aposos version, downloaded again just in case and still crash when I try to build anything.
Yh construction dosnt seem to work for me either (using windows) hopefully gets sorted out soon coz i wanna build a safehouse away from the town. But still fun at the moment anyway just running around.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: October 31, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »

Do zombies and copbots fight? I have 15 copbots on my kill list, and I didn't kill them. I was at a police station when I died (I lived about half an hour).

I believe they do. As a related point, you get credit for killing anything that dies during your game. This is why you only get the moral penalty for killing your mother when hallucinating if she directly adjacent to you, as the game has no system yet for tracking who killed what. Although whales is going to change this sometime.

As a final note, isn't it nice to get credit for stuff killed by acid rain while you were holed up someplace safe? Enjoy it while you can.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: October 31, 2011, 05:15:56 pm »

That's odd.. I'm already using the latest Aposos version, downloaded again just in case and still crash when I try to build anything.
Yh construction dosnt seem to work for me either (using windows) hopefully gets sorted out soon coz i wanna build a safehouse away from the town. But still fun at the moment anyway just running around.

I had the same problem and decided to do this rather than wait for the fix.
My personality profile.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: October 31, 2011, 08:48:38 pm »

using the linux emulator, I just discovered a bug, not 5 minutes into my new world: fires do not cast light. It might not be a bug, so much as an unimplemented feature... but I didn't have a flashlight handy, so I took a book down into the basement and lit it on fire, only to see the 'roaring flames' disappear into darkness a few steps away.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »

using the linux emulator, I just discovered a bug, not 5 minutes into my new world: fires do not cast light. It might not be a bug, so much as an unimplemented feature... but I didn't have a flashlight handy, so I took a book down into the basement and lit it on fire, only to see the 'roaring flames' disappear into darkness a few steps away.
Yup, flames don't give off light yet I believe.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 777