Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260323 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8895 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

I saw a river of magma on the road :o

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: January 30, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »

Recently I went through a mine for the first time (since I don't play all too often), and at the end I saw a dog.  I was all like, WTF is this a bug? I got close to it, then guess what happend.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was all like "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT" Then I blew it away with my saiga.  Good times.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: January 30, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »

I play on windows with the linux emulator thats on the cataclysm website (someone about has the link as a sig as well).  It seems to be crash proof and is simple to use and install.  The link for that thing really needs to be put into the OP

Arr, here it be. If the OP would be so kind:
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=95.0
(It's about 40mb for the virtualbox image, plus the size of virtualbox if you don't already have it)

Also, instruction for running it on Mac OS X (my own):

Use MacPorts to install GCC 4.6
Code: [Select]
# port install gcc46
...Then change this line in Cataclysm's Makefile...
CXX = g++to
CXX = /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.6
Set these terminal preferences:

TEXT tab
  - Use bold fonts
  - Display ANSI colors
  - Use bright colors for bold text

WINDOW tab
  - Rows: 25

ADVANCED tab
  - Declare terminal as: xterm-color

(Note that the Mac-compiled Cataclysm is slightly less stable than the Linux version, but leagues ahead of the Windows version. You may have issues with the display colors being unreadable, i.e. dark blue is nearly black. To fix this, I just run Cataclysm in Xterm through X11.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:16:48 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8898 on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:05 am »

Woot! Just finished reading the entire thread. It is quite interesting seeing how the game has changed at the speed of about 200 pages a day. hmm, each page is 15 and current one with this post is 10 so at 599 it means I have read 8980 posts including this one in the last few days (and also means 6 more posts till 600 pages). Anyway I plan to do some lets plays of it so will be posting here when I upload the videos though I may not get around to it tonight.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:26 am »

...Then change this line in Cataclysm's Makefile...
CXX = g++to
CXX = /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.6

You know you could just have run;
make CXX=/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.6Which does the same effect but won't conflict if (for some reason) whales modifies that line of the Makefile later on :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8900 on: February 01, 2012, 01:53:16 am »

I have the first video of my lets play up here. I stumbled through it and if anything by watching how I fail at it may help someone improve the tutorial.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:36 am »

Yep, I've downloaded it, I am going to watch it today at work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:59 am »

So I was irritated on how, even if I kill a bear, it still wounds me enough to eventually lead to my death in a few hours. Yah yah, guns, but I mean, its just a bear, I should be more worried about a Zombie Hulk than a Bear, which I'm not.

So I started thinking. Since bears only attack when provoked, perhaps we can squeeze that system into the game? For instance, a Bear will be passive unless one of two criteria occur.

1) A loud noise is heard(Gun/Explosive, or hey, even breaking glass if you want)

2) The bear is attacked.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: February 01, 2012, 07:24:27 am »

Whales plans on adding in stuff like that, as well as a better monster morale system, so wolves will be less likely to attack you if you have a fire for example.
*Hugs*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: February 01, 2012, 07:49:55 am »

#3 you get close to it. Bears are territorial, after all
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:00 am »

Here be a stable windows version that I compiled, it includes my mutation mod (adds more mutations and a couple of traits)
Mod description: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=852.0

Download Stable windows version: http://www.mediafire.com/?2c0rs4c09dvuy2j
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »

Actually, including provocations is a good idea I hadn't thought of.  I'll whip up a list of possible events, such as:
  • Player gets close to us
  • Loud noise
  • Fire nearby
  • A monster of my species was killed
  • Others?

And monster types will have two lists; a list of things that make it angry, and a list of things that make it scared.  Monsters will have two initial values for anger and morale; once anger reaches 100, the monster goes hostile, and once morale reaches 0, the monster flees.  Zombies of course will have anger start at 100, and morale start at infinity (with no effects that reduce it); bears and wolves will have differing values and their own list of things that piss them off or scare them.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »

Here be a stable windows version that I compiled, it includes my mutation mod (adds more mutations and a couple of traits)

Download Stable windows version: http://www.mediafire.com/?2c0rs4c09dvuy2j

How did you make it stable?

AFAIK the previous Whales' version was crashing when I tried to access/quit computer.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8908 on: February 01, 2012, 02:30:56 pm »

Actually, including provocations is a good idea I hadn't thought of.  I'll whip up a list of possible events, such as:
  • Player gets close to us
  • Loud noise
  • Fire nearby
  • A monster of my species was killed
  • Others?

And monster types will have two lists; a list of things that make it angry, and a list of things that make it scared.  Monsters will have two initial values for anger and morale; once anger reaches 100, the monster goes hostile, and once morale reaches 0, the monster flees.  Zombies of course will have anger start at 100, and morale start at infinity (with no effects that reduce it); bears and wolves will have differing values and their own list of things that piss them off or scare them.
   One thing about this system that might need some work but would be worth it is that you could end up with a creature that has 100 anger but 0 morale. Should they be attacking or escaping in this circumstance? It would probably be something decided by the creature themselves so a bear would be more likely to continue to attack then retreat in the circumstance. Also do normal woodland animals attack the player? If they don't you could use this to make them attack if you have them cornered but retreating once the circumstance presents itself.
   Just one thing I can say should be added to list for normal creatures though. If the player corners them so they can't move without being threatened by the player their anger should be raised or have a modifier where it raises quicker.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »

Here be a STABLE windows version that I compiled, it includes my mutation mod (adds more mutations and a couple of traits)

Download STABLE windows version: http://www.mediafire.com/?2c0rs4c09dvuy2j

omg lol wtf?

Is it really stable? :o

You know, without crashing.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 777