Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263506 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10710 on: July 20, 2012, 07:34:30 am »

Well, this has been interesting, but the latest version is extremely unstable. Without fail, all five of the characters I started today died due to some bug or another; the client crashed hundreds of times, my vehicle just disappeared, I've been hounded by teleporting NPCs... I think I'll wait for the next update before I play again. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: July 20, 2012, 08:31:14 am »

Yeah, it is a bit buggy. I just got 400 gasoline from an NPC. It wasn't even in a container, he just handed me two globs of gasoline and expected me to carry it in my hands.

Unfortunately, it seems you can't pick it up if you put it in a vehicle box.

Also, the item limit for storage seems bugged. I filled a box with items and found a mininuke in a supply drop. The box was full, and it told me so when I tried to put it in. The nuke disappeared though, which was a little disappointing
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: July 20, 2012, 08:40:16 am »

Also, the item limit for storage seems bugged. I filled a box with items and found a mininuke in a supply drop. The box was full, and it told me so when I tried to put it in. The nuke disappeared though, which was a little disappointing

It's probably underneath the box, that is what generally happens.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:09 am »

That was a bug in the original vehicle release, but the most recently released version fixes it.
Love, scriver~

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:23 pm »

Here's my latest vehicle extension build. It spawns vanilla and the four vehicles I've built so far in parking lots. Three out of four are fairly cheaty when it comes to scrapping for parts, but they are also rare. I have a scientist vehicle design on paper with a couple things in my head. I'm thinking glass bubble car that only takes plutonium as a fuel.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: July 21, 2012, 08:35:06 am »

Well, I didn't completely give up... and I haven't had a single crash since I disabled NPCs. So that's okay. They were kinda annoying, anyway.

I'm having fun bowling zombies (literally) with a quadbike now. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: July 21, 2012, 11:19:50 am »

I found something which, IMO, should be added to the main game: change the darkness-related failure for reading ("It is too dark to read!") to be disabled when the character has the mutation "High Nightvision." After all, the distance I can see is larger than that when I have a flashlight whose life is just above the light limit for reading w/o the trait, so I figure it makes sense to be able to read with the same level of 'perceived' light.

For those interested in modding their own with this, open up player.cpp, and in the function 'void player::read(game *g, char ch)' modify the line
Code: [Select]
if (g->light_level() < 8) {
to
 if (g->light_level() < 8 && !has_mutation(PF_NIGHTVISION2)) {

Oh dear... I found a 6L engine; unable to lift it, I installed it on my scouting motorcycle. It now has a safe speed of 313 and an acceleration of 22 mph/t O_O

Good thing too; I'm way outside of town and it just started acid raining after I finished installation. Time to race the rain. :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:33:21 pm by alway »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »

I found something which, IMO, should be added to the main game: change the darkness-related failure for reading ("It is too dark to read!") to be disabled when the character has the mutation "High Nightvision." After all, the distance I can see is larger than that when I have a flashlight whose life is just above the light limit for reading w/o the trait, so I figure it makes sense to be able to read with the same level of 'perceived' light.

I'm not sure text would should up all that well. There still isn't much light available for seeing details.

A few more changes to my mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?74u8665yde83qek
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:21:49 pm by BigD145 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »

Is it wrong that I kinda want cars littering the streets? Would both help negate their usefulness, and make them more abundant.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

Is it wrong that I kinda want cars littering the streets? Would both help negate their usefulness, and make them more abundant.

Hmm, very interesting idea indeed.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

If not just on the streets, at least SOMEWHERE besides neatly in parking lots.
It seems strange that everybody had their cars scrapped and swapped in for 50 pairs of fingerless gloves or whatever. If they're not on the streets, they could be at least in compounds or some other place cars go when they're totalled.

Actually, a scrap yard in general, containing vehicles without engines and/or wheels and such. It just looks odd when every few houses has a mechanics magazine, implying it to be a hobby in some way, but there are only cars in communal car parks, and very rarely at that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10721 on: July 21, 2012, 02:43:49 pm »

Vehicles would actually be an excellent way of making travelling on roads more difficult, if that's what Whales wants to do. Most of them can have damaged engines and/or tires to make them less useful and more of an obstacle.

Of course, materials for cars and such would have to be balanced. At the moment you can make a monster vehicle just from three or four vehicles you find, no matter the size. Perhaps higher skill levels would be needed for larger vehicles, or placing complicated parts, such as tires (Not just replacing), engines and the like could be more difficult. Encourage modification over cannibalization, essentially. I like being able to make my own behemoth of car doom, but it seems like it should be something reserved to more skilled mechanics.

I'm not sure text would should up all that well. There still isn't much light available for seeing details.

It depends on how the character's night vision works. You can't read with night vision goggles, for instance, but those drown out color and detail. Natural night vision, though? Details might be difficult, sure, but your own eyes are going to work a lot better than an artificial increase in light perception.

For the record, you can read with high night vision at night currently, it just depends on the phase of the moon.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: July 21, 2012, 04:26:02 pm »

Actually it's unlikely.  Rods and cones, which I always forget which is which.  Either way, one is made for seeing color in detail, and the other is a more sensitive type that can't see much detail.  So you have a further threshold for being able to see more in less light, but you lose a lot of detail.  You can still see enough to notice a zombie, even get headshots on zombies, but not enough to read anything smaller than a billboard.

http://xkcd.com/1080/

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: July 21, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »

Yea, it feels really odd that, while vehicles are rare, you can find them on pristine condition, and never a wrecked one, just random parts lying everywhere for no real reason. It'd make constructing vehicles easier and the world would look more realistic.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: July 21, 2012, 05:44:49 pm »

Actually it's unlikely.  Rods and cones, which I always forget which is which.  Either way, one is made for seeing color in detail, and the other is a more sensitive type that can't see much detail.  So you have a further threshold for being able to see more in less light, but you lose a lot of detail.  You can still see enough to notice a zombie, even get headshots on zombies, but not enough to read anything smaller than a billboard.

http://xkcd.com/1080/
Well, yes, but with a book, color is irrelevant (unless you are reading House of Leaves). With high nightvision, so long as it is still dependent on the visual spectrum, your ability to read a book should increase at the same rate your ability to see other details.
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 777