Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448266 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2220 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:38 am »

Did some experimenting last night with first stage powered by rotary/jet engines. Marginally successful... my heavy lift rotary module was able to raise a payload to 10km with a relatively small amount of fuel and then detached to allow the second stage rocket to continue on. I'm not sure how useful that is though.

From my experience, if you need that little bit of boost for your rocket to get more fuel in space, jets are a quick solution.
The only real issue I have had is when using launch stabilizers, and the jets take off too slowly, so the rocket sort of drifts into them, exploding.

Also, that yellow bit poking out of the launch pad tower-thing is really annoying for wide rockets. Some of my rockets just implode the second physics is enabled because of it.
There's a mod IIRC to remove the launch pad tower entirely.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2221 on: September 27, 2012, 08:15:37 am »

Another solution is to use the launch stabiliser things to raise your ship above the tower.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:43 am »

If yoi rotate the camera 90deg you can move the whole rocket forward clicking the capsule

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 27, 2012, 09:40:19 am »

That's not his problem. The jet engines take too long to warm up, so the rocket drifts into the stabilizers.
Solution: put the stabilizers in the second stage, and activate them when the jet engines have warmed up.
A few small boosters might also help with the lift off.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2224 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:23 am »

There is a JATO module in one of the plugin packs too. Jet Assisted Take Off

Its basically a single burn rocket booster for spaceplanes, sort of. No throttle controls, just enough kick to get you up.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:20 am »

Remember to add a kethane pump or two if you want to actually move kethane around with it.  :)
That's what the square thing sticking out from the top is. If you add more than one, it gives 'invalid part configuration' or something.

I'm pretty sure you can have multiple pumps and drills on a craft, it's only the scanners and converters that can't have more than one.

What are the most popular mods/add ons right now? I'm intrigued.

The Kethane mod is getting pretty popular.

Loving the cowling and rocket systems from the core pack.

Does anyone know of a good deploy-able solar panel which works with the electricity plugin?

The satellite pack on this page has one, it actually needs the electricity plugin... It also has a nice ion engine and batteries... And a nice command pod.
It also has the Kethane mod... Damn i link this way too often...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:12:15 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:17 am »

If yoi rotate the camera 90deg you can move the whole rocket forward clicking the capsule

Alternatively, copy the .craft file from the VAB folder to the SPH folder, load up your rocket in the hangar, and launch from the runway.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

Right, i'll just bump this thread by showing off my newest creation...

KP (Kerb Probe) Adventure...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What's it for, you ask? Well, i'm just planning on sending it to the SUN!!
 Well, lets see how it goes... (I have no pictures of the launch or anything, it was boring anyway)

Well, that was a success. I managed to get vital info to the engineers to NOT MAKE THEIR SOLAR PROBES OUT OF EXPLODIUM!
Good thing it wasn't manned...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:58:06 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:12 am »

That sun is tiny :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 29, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

Yeah it is  :-\

Probably a technical issue of some sort. A real star would have been much larger, and of course you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near a kilometer of it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 29, 2012, 01:14:28 pm »

Don't you think it's the altimeter that's messed up?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 29, 2012, 01:29:17 pm »

Don't you think it's the altimeter that's messed up?
look at the curvature on the star.

it looks smaller than kerbin.
This. A kilometer above Kerbin and you would only barely see the curvature.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 29, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

So.

If I make it into an intercept orbit with Duna after I screw up and knock off a main booster and three tanks of fuel, that's good right?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 29, 2012, 03:59:27 pm »

Now get home again.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 29, 2012, 04:01:17 pm »

I don't think I'd even have enough fuel to stop if I reached Duna, really. losing everything but the lander didn't do me any favors.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 848