Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448570 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Sometimes I wish I could reset my knowledge of how to play the game and go back to failing horribly trying to land on Mun, instead of being able to go out for a casual walk on Eve.

Those were the good ol' times.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

How the heck do people get these little Mun landers to work anyway.  I've done this before, it shouldn't be this hard, but every time I manage to get in Mun orbit, I have to burn up so much fuel stopping the orbit and then so much fuel shedding 400m/s of descent velocity that I don't have enough fuel left to get back to Kerbin.

I'm doing the same thing I always have before, with one-and-half standard fuel tanks and the little lander engine for a one-man capsule.  All this extra science gear can't weigh that much right?  I guess I just need to take a bigger service module with me.

At least I managed to successfully land my first spaceplane, right on the airstrip even.  So I had to quickload in orbit four times to deorbt in the general vicinity of KSC, but I did actually land.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I wish KSP would let me use Free Download Manager... 459 MB is brutal :c

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

It actually does, I've found. Last I checked, anyway. If you have it set up right, it will download a good deal of it, and then, when it inevitably fails, you just go and download the game again from the site, and FDM will resume from where it left off.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I switched on steam precisely because of their patcher.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How the heck do people get these little Mun landers to work anyway.  I've done this before, it shouldn't be this hard, but every time I manage to get in Mun orbit, I have to burn up so much fuel stopping the orbit and then so much fuel shedding 400m/s of descent velocity that I don't have enough fuel left to get back to Kerbin.

I'm doing the same thing I always have before, with one-and-half standard fuel tanks and the little lander engine for a one-man capsule.  All this extra science gear can't weigh that much right?  I guess I just need to take a bigger service module with me.

At least I managed to successfully land my first spaceplane, right on the airstrip even.  So I had to quickload in orbit four times to deorbt in the general vicinity of KSC, but I did actually land.

I've personally found that I need around 2 standard fuel tanks in order to get down and back to Kerbin if I'm not doing some more complex staging or have something to dock to in munar orbit. If you're careful, you could probably get away with a little less, but 1.5 is a tight fuel budget just for a one Kerbal capsule to get down AND back again. Adding science to that can easily push it over the edge.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I've personally found that I need around 2 standard fuel tanks in order to get down and back to Kerbin if I'm not doing some more complex staging or have something to dock to in munar orbit. If you're careful, you could probably get away with a little less, but 1.5 is a tight fuel budget just for a one Kerbal capsule to get down AND back again. Adding science to that can easily push it over the edge.
Again, see my mission. 1.5 tanks is quite enough. You do end up with a rather tight budget, but it's very possible, even with science.

The key is to brake efficiently at the Mun, and to return efficiently.

I think it does end up under ten minutes real time, so I might record the way I do it myself with Bandicam and see about uploading it somewhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I typically for the Mun go with something around 1.5-2 km/s guesstimate worth of delta-v when landing on mun. ~500 m/s to stop horizontal, ~500 m/s for establishing orbit upon return and the rest is for slowing descent and escape.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the Engineer lists my lander's dV at 2951m/s. That's what it has in Kerbin orbit. By the time it hits Mun SOI, it has around 1900. Projected dV for landing is about 900, this is a suicide burn from a direct intercept. That'll leave me with 1000 for return.

edit: okay, actual landing dV turned out closer to 1100. 800m/s is still plenty for a return.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:30:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Try not to make your lander into a vessel that travels.  Ideally you should be able to thrust up to an intercept, or even make orbit around Mun, and then stage to the pure lander phase.  My landers end up having the SOI transfer rocket used to reach Mun, then bleed velocity, then detach to the lander phase and let the transfer rocket crash.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Am I the only to have almost accidentally used the term POO... Path Of Orbit?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only to have almost accidentally used the term POO... Path Of Orbit?
I use it intentionally, if that counts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I went ahead and did what I said I probably wouldn't. That is, loaded my exploratory kethane scout up with everything it can carry, and tried to lift off.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out, it's possible! :D

Fuel spent after rising to a 100x100 orbit around Moho: less than a third of the carried Kethane, or about an equivalent of less than a sixth of the ship's Argon capacity. That's even with Kethane being used to replenish RCS fuel in flight.

I think I'm perfectly capable of sending it to Eeloo right from there. ^_^

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

So, I went ahead and did what I said I probably wouldn't. That is, loaded my exploratory kethane scout up with everything it can carry, and tried to lift off.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out, it's possible! :D

Fuel spent after rising to a 100x100 orbit around Moho: less than a third of the carried Kethane, or about an equivalent of less than a sixth of the ship's Argon capacity. That's even with Kethane being used to replenish RCS fuel in flight.

I think I'm perfectly capable of sending it to Eeloo right from there. ^_^
Moho to Eeloo? Holy shit the delta-v for that must be enormous. Not just getting there but staying there. And there's no atmosphere to help you. I'm assuming you plan to use slingshots?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those Near-Future Propulsion "PIT" drives have incredibly high fuel efficiency, effectively very large ion drives (in fact they use Argon instead of Xenon).  So, he'll probably get anywhere he wants to.  Slowly.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 848