Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448075 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Restarting didn't work once. I haven't tried twice. I'll try that come the morrow.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A kerbonaut inside? That doesn't sound like debris.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Researching russian rockets for my copy of the R-7 has led me to discover something that I can't anywhere find reference to.
Namely that commonly in english language descriptions of russian rockets thrust is described in kH, I wasn't entirely sure what measurement that was so I spent a bit of time looking up rockets and kH or kN to find a rough conversion. I generally found the number was the same, so of course when I looked up the letter H in Cyrillic I find that it's pronounced 'en' so basically I've reached the conclusion that many people translating descriptions of russian rockets actually know nothing about Physics or possibly the russian language?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Researching russian rockets for my copy of the R-7 has led me to discover something that I can't anywhere find reference to.
Namely that commonly in english language descriptions of russian rockets thrust is described in kH, I wasn't entirely sure what measurement that was so I spent a bit of time looking up rockets and kH or kN to find a rough conversion. I generally found the number was the same, so of course when I looked up the letter H in Cyrillic I find that it's pronounced 'en' so basically I've reached the conclusion that many people translating descriptions of russian rockets actually know nothing about Physics or possibly the russian language?

"кН" is Russian for kN, yes. So those people probably fail at translating.

Just out of curiosity, can you point me to where you found those descriptions?

Edit: I made a Near Future-powered asteroid catcher SSTO spaceplane.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It ain't no armageddon preventer, and it hasn't really been tested yet, but its VASIMR thruster and argon supply should allow it to intercept and capture class A and B asteroids for scientific purposes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:22:02 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A kerbonaut inside? That doesn't sound like debris.
It's a cockpit no longer connected to anything. Except maybe the one parachute.

It ain't no armageddon preventer, and it hasn't really been tested yet, but its VASIMR thruster and argon supply should allow it to intercept and capture class A and B asteroids for scientific purposes.
I'll believe it when I see it. So please do so.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

"кН" is Russian for kN, yes. So those people probably fail at translating.
Just out of curiosity, can you point me to where you found those descriptions?

Interested in the rockets, or just in the location of the errors? I think I saw kH once on wikipedia in a description of one of the rocket motors from either an early Soyuz or the R-1, and it was in a few results from google which I don't remember, since I didn't open the pages I can't really find them. But the majority was from russianspaceweb.com, which confusingly has several pages mentioning kH, pounds, or tonnes of force, but the majority is in kH. Tonnes is ok since a ton of force is 9.8 kN or 10 if i don't want to be too exact,, but poundsforce is just annoying at 4.448 newtons per pound so I need a calculator.
Now if it's the rockets you're interested in Astronautix.com has an absolute dearth surfeit of information, The N1 page in particular game me a good overview of the state of the program and the technical problems the rockets faced which I was using for an Aurora RP, which got kinda abandoned just as Apollo 11/luna 15 was being launched. And speaking about TL/DR, the V2 page seems like it lists every damn rocket launched, The early part of the chronology is very interesting however as is the final few launches by american scientists.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you better believe it then. ^_^

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

That's hella neat

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to play around with it, here's the craft file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4152380/AsterBuster%20Fairdyne.craft

Mods you will need: Near Future Propulsion (engines and electrics), Procedural Fairings (little nosecones on the boosters).
Mods you will want: Mk2 Cockpit Internal View

Special takeoff procedure: Enable SAS, step on the brakes, make sure throttle is zero. Stage. Right-click VASIMR thruster, set variable thrust to maximum. Press 0 to deactivate all electric engines. Release brake, throttle up and take off.

SSTO Instructions: Very much a temperamental craft, SAS tends to fail in keeping attitude. Get to 15k as fast as possible, then go level. Target flight parameters before air-breathing cutoff - 24km altitude, 1100m/s velocity, attitude 45 degrees. Push apoapsis to around 90km, and cut engines. Switch off RAPIERs, activate the PITs and the VASIMR, then coast. Once above 45k altitude, go full throttle along prograde, unfold solar array, roll to face it towards the sun. Use capacitor banks to keep the batteries from emptying. When capacitors are exhausted, turn off PITs and burn all the way to apoapsis on the VASIMR. Keep prograde. At apoapsis, reactivate RAPIERs to burn off any remaining oxidizer, then deactivate them again. If everything went right, the VASIMR working at half power from the solar panel's output should be enough to finish the circularization maneuver.

Action groups:
1: Toggle air intakes
2: Toggle RAPIER engines
3: Toggle PIT boosters
4: Toggle VASIMR thruster
5: Fold/Unfold solar array
6: Discharge capacitor group 1
7: Discharge capacitor group 2
8: Discharge capacitor group 3
9: Start/Stop recharge of non-full capacitors
0: Deactivate all electric engines

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neat.
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

And the answer is no. No they don't.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Kerbal smoke. Don't breath that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Was it Danny's latest video with the Kerbal compressor?
That was a Kerbal blender, definitely.
Edit: What I've been working on;
The R7 launcher was designed to get a 6 ton payload to Munar orbit, I've no idea what it's potential is but it seems rather overpowered for this role.
Here we see the second stage after booster separation, the rocket reached KEO altitude and after rough circulation still had around 600 dV for stationkeeping/refining the orbit.

Boosters separate at around 20 km, I should have taken a picture showing the Korolev cross. sadly the boosters are installed slightly off center so the whole rocket wastes around 200 RCS fuel in order to avoid spin. A future revision may include winglets to cancel rotation, or the boosters could be realigned.The whole thing is stock except for the mechjeb pod, AR202, a remote tech aerial and probecore, and the paintjob.

Edit: Broken images.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:43:04 am by MarcAFK »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, finally we know: do Kerbals blend?

http://zippy.gfycat.com/BigheartedOblongBernesemountaindog.webm
What even is going on there?

I see them. Small flames. NO. Failure is not an option. TURN THE ENGINES ON AT FULL!

It sure was here.

Altitude: 44.5 Km
Target speed: 32-58 m/s
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
Altitude: 44 Km
*  AsteroidCatcher Mk3 collides violently with the asteroid, exploding into hundreds of tiny pieces! The severed parts sail off in a cloud of burning debris!
My Kraken. It- It's beautiful!
Unfortunately, I had no time to take pics before it all crashed against the ocean. For that second, however, I saw the awesomest thing ever. Guess you'll have to take my word for it.
Oops.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 848