Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448018 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Replacing the Firespitter wings with stock delta wings did the trick! I took off almost by accident, accidentally turning right to account for rightward drifting, bouncing off one of the runway's lights, and...well...spinning myself out of control. I blame Farram. If I could fly an airplane, I would have taken off successfully; I just know it!

One-third thrust is fairly controllable, but it has the slight disadvantage of not letting me actually gain altitude. Two-thirds thrust has issues, like how my attempts to stay on the runway knocked off one wing, meaning that when I shot off the end of the runway (having cut thrust) I promptly lost the other wing, struck the ground, and bounced up, EVAing just in time to escape the cockpit...which bobbed about, intact, as Jeb splashed down hard some distance out to see.
The second attempt lead to an even worse crash, flipping over sideways and exploding. The only surviving bit was one set of landing gear, rolling end-over-end away from the runway for an astonishing amount of time and distance.
"One of"...wait a sec...I think I get how those biplane landing gears are supposed to work now!

Probably not with a big jet attached to the back. Maybe it was Farram, but I hit the staging button and the next thing I know...

As I struggle to get the screen shotted, I notice a conspicuous lack of explosions. Sure enough, Jeb managed to fly this thing!

The "Large AoO/Slideslip," which I assume is FAR for "how are you flying half an airplane?!?", leads to me deciding to revert to launch and see if 1/3 throttle goes over better.

I'm thinking that's a "no".

I redesign the craft and make sure that the centers of lift and gravity are identical. I promptly lift into the air, partly  because of my delta/structural wing. I overturn down, bounce up, stall briefly, then return to normal flight very quickly...possibly because of that reaction wheel. It flies well; I head to the abandoned runway on that island, but overshoot it (with the prop off--I don't go there much, okay? And I was still going over 120 m/s!). I try to turn around, but wind up stalling and as I turn to try and get back under control...well...the landing gear and tail fins not only survived the splashdown, but bounced enthusiastically for some time.

How is Farram supposed to work, and did I do well for a first time?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found this video. Sure, it's mostly stuff you already know, but it provides some tidbits the typical KSP player wouldn't know, plus some interesting facts about RL spacecraft and such.

I wonder if there's any chance that precession from irregular sphericalness of the planets will ever be implemented. Or relativity, but that seems less likely.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Can spacecraft in KSP even go fast enough for relativity to matter?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Somebody once got a ship fast enough, yes.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Scott Manley has a video about getting to a significant fraction of light speed. He used infinite fuel, but still.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of the reasons I find it unlikely to be added.
I'm sure that if you added enough solar panels, xenon tanks, and ion engines together...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I designed an orbital fighter.

Turns out that if you want it to land, you should probably design it for that. It survived re-entry, to my surprise. FAR warns me of "Large AoA/Sideslip," which I assume is FAR for "your craft's wings are bloody girders, why are you trying to fly it?"
Bill and Jeb bail out at a bit above two and one kilometers, respectively. Thanks to Vanguard Parachutes, they land okay. There was no salvage possible on the fighter, but at least the pilots are safe.

Incidentally, neither MechJeb's anything nor the right-click eject option from Vanguard's eject module thingy are existing. Any idea why?
Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

That thing looks great, as if it's assembled from scrapyard parts.

Alright, can anyone help me with my FAR spaceplane? ;-;
It can takeoff alright, but the moment it does it stalls uncontrollably.

E: alright, i fixed it. It works if I don't take off violently.
Turning makes the wings fall off though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:06:22 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Spoiler: I regret nothing. (click to show/hide)
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's that? Just an asteroid, or what?

I discovered that the KSO shuttle flies surprisingly well. Turning is tough, and it doesn't fly for long, but still.

I tried to design a half-biplane half-modern-fighter spaceplane, but ran into problems with it flipping over. I switched out the landing gear (biplane in front, stock in back) for lower ones (fighter gear in front, wooden sticks in back). This didn't work too well and lead to repeated destruction of my back wing flaps, so I replaced the sticks with a fighter tail gear. That took a bit to get straightened out, but once I did I managed to destroy my entire craft again. I gave up on trying to fiddle with it like that and instead dealt with the high center-of-mass head-on, by adding three pairs of compressed-air bottles to bring it down (and extend the life of the jet). This worked until I tried to correct the direction I was going down the runway, at which point I kasploded. Not turning on the ground meant I managed to take off! Finally! Trying to adjust attitude lead to me tilting over backwards, then trying to turn downwards, then my wings fell off. I managed to get the wingless plane almost under control right before crashing precisely at the boundary between beach and ocean. Mad skillz. Seems I need to fix center of mass, though, so I tried to add some hardpoints to add more stuff underneath. I can't ever get those to work, though...
Maybe I'll figure it out later.
Sig

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

Had a pretty awesome space station I build, I have the orbital shipyard mod, so I figure that I should build a ship yard. So eight hours later, I have a station that has 50 tons of building parts, 100 gallons of fuels and a enough electricity to power the sun, So i decided to build a small probe to test it out and I notice it wasn't build so I waited four hours, then four day, then FOUR weeks in-game.(The nonstop swearing started here.) I notice I didn't include the FREAKING CONSTRUCTION MODULE! AKA THE THING THAT BUILDS THE DAMN SHIPS!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Design  of the KD-1 Kentipede is underway. It is a long mobile base destined for Duna, which will be fully self sustaining. It has a greenhouse, water and air recyclers, living space for ten Kerbals, a fully-equipped scientific laboratory, two of the big Kethane drills, a large Kethane tank, a heavy-duty Kethane processor,  a giant solar tower (deployable with Infernal Robotics), a deployable landing pad, and an independent kethane probe to land on said pad. I named it the Kentipede because I haven't unlocked the huge rover wheels yet, so I'm using a bunch of the smaller ones.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had a pretty awesome space station I build, I have the orbital shipyard mod, so I figure that I should build a ship yard. So eight hours later, I have a station that has 50 tons of building parts, 100 gallons of fuels and a enough electricity to power the sun, So i decided to build a small probe to test it out and I notice it wasn't build so I waited four hours, then four day, then FOUR weeks in-game.(The nonstop swearing started here.) I notice I didn't include the FREAKING CONSTRUCTION MODULE! AKA THE THING THAT BUILDS THE DAMN SHIPS!
Stick a new module with a construction module and a claw up.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know that thing you sometimes have, where you feel proud for achieving something so many others seem to have mastered? I felt that just now, when I got Jeb back into his pod after he lost his grip on the ladder somehow.

This success was tempered by the realization that I sent my Mysterious Goo canisters to burn up in the atmosphere on that rocket bit falling below us. And that the game got increasingly screwed up I collected more science upon landing, until I had to force-close it.

Next, I suppose I could try rendezvous. Or I could just go about my normal business.
I wonder how the rocket broke apart in midair.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 848