Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 593825 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »

Agreed, downvoting Glitterglen.

MLP /= DF.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »

I vote for glitterglen to stay up on the hall of legends

new players should understand the wide verity of thing that the mod community can put out.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:12:15 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »

I vote for glitterglen to stay up on the hall of legends

new players should understand the wide verity of thing that the mod community can put out.

An excellent sentiment, but I must disagree for two reasons.

1) The Hall of Legends isn't a modding showcase; it's more a greatest hits collection than an exhaustive collection of what can be done with it (which, to be blunt, would be a huge topic in its own right).  It's the sort of topic that you would email to a friend after they asked "What's the big deal about this Dwarf Fortress you like playing?"

2) There are mods that do a far, far, FAR more thorough job of showing what a modder can really do in Dwarf Fortress.  From the incredible total conversion packages to the staggering depth of DigDeeper, there are legendary mods that show off the muscle under the hood better than My Little Fortress.

Of course we can discuss its merits, and you're free to voice your support one way or the other, but I'm not convinced.  After all, as we've said before, just because something isn't in the Hall doesn't mean it's bad by any means.  The Hall just must remain a place of special honor, lest the prestige and importance of it be tainted by an excess of members.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »

I agree completely with everything you just said, Urist.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

What if a MLP fortress was, hypothetically, the absolute best ever thing written? What if the other legends paled in comparison? Would it still not belong because it is MLP?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:40 pm »

What if a MLP fortress was, hypothetically, the absolute best ever thing written? What if the other legends paled in comparison? Would it still not belong because it is MLP?

Hypothetically, yes it would belong (we have two stories in the Hall that have Kobolds as protagonists, and the art/game thread by DarkerDark featuring elves).  I don't think Glitterglen qualifies as a fortress/story/community game, nor that My Little Fortress qualifies as a mod.
On the Nature of Dwarves

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 17, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »

Well, what if it were not MLP would that mean that it would deserve to be here. I personally think that just cuz the MLP mod is in place it doesn't change the quality of writing.

and how does the MLP mod change the gameplay?
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »

The main issues in order of importance seem to be:

1. The fortress isn't really all that special. (It's only special to bronies; viewed objectively, it's just another fortress.)
2. There's a lot of RPing at the end of the thread that is really just making things a cluttered mess.
3. The mod, like the fortress, is nothing all that special, except to bronies.

I'm not going to vote on it either way as 1: I haven't read it, because 2: I don't like MLP:FiM - or at least how rabid the fanbase is, I don't really care much about the show - so I'm not going to upvote it and my downvote would be biased - don't like the subject material, haven't read the thread - and therefore unfair.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »

Well, what if it were not MLP would that mean that it would deserve to be here. I personally think that just cuz the MLP mod is in place it doesn't change the quality of writing.

and how does the MLP mod change the gameplay?

No, personally.  It's not a bad fortress, and clearly the people playing in the RP section are enjoying themselves, but it's nothing special to me.  I don't think it rises to the level of a must-see, cut above the rest piece.

Any mod or story that features non-dwarves is held to higher scrutiny simply by virtue of the name of the game.  People coming to play Dwarf Fortress and see what it can do are going to be primarily interested in dwarves, and the game's history and greatest stories have, for the most part, featured dwarves.  Non-dwarves have to be something VERY special to earn a place in this community's heart.

Consider Cacame, the unbelievably awesome Elf King of the Dwarves.  Read the thread, sometime: in the early stages, the people reading clamor for his head, demanding that some way be found to murder him (why?  Because he's an elf, dammit!).  Only after he slays a dragon in two swings of a less-than-impressive hammer is he deemed worthy of fame.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:29 am »

Interesting fact, glitterglen has it's own chatroom on mibbit.com . It's not as much of a mess as one might think.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »

Has anyone suggested Bravemule yet?

http://www.bravemule.com/

If not, I am happy to be the first.  The artwork alone. . . 
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07:01 am »

Bravemule was nominated a while ago, but it just never got enough votes for induction.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:48 am »

What about Sphalerite's solution to Mermaid farming in DF2010?
On the Farming of Sea Serpents

With mermaid farming impossible and worthless anyway, where do I turn for expensive and exotic animal breeding experiments?  Elephants look very good as a candidate. But although they are a huge winner in every practical way, elephants are boring.  They’re too easy.  I wanted to try farming something exotic and valuable, and preferably aquatic.  Sea serpents fit that role. They’re aquatic and extremely rare, making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up a working farm.
To catch the sea serpents Sphalerite first sets up a device that literally drains the ocean at will but deems it too risky to the serpents, so he builds a mid ocean platform. Again it's not enough so he turns the whole coast into a trap. And then manages to create a working breeding pen for them while they're still wild. This is all after he walls off the map edges so the things would show up in the first place.
-Retracted
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:23:09 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2012, 06:37:13 pm »

The main issues in order of importance seem to be:

1. The fortress isn't really all that special. (It's only special to bronies; viewed objectively, it's just another fortress.)
2. There's a lot of RPing at the end of the thread that is really just making things a cluttered mess.
3. The mod, like the fortress, is nothing all that special, except to bronies.

I'm not going to vote on it either way as 1: I haven't read it, because 2: I don't like MLP:FiM - or at least how rabid the fanbase is, I don't really care much about the show - so I'm not going to upvote it and my downvote would be biased - don't like the subject material, haven't read the thread - and therefore unfair.

I'm not part of that, sir.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 67