Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 502018 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2235 on: December 04, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »

Reinstall your video drivers. It could be an overheating video card.
If that's the case cleaning out the fans with canned air might help too
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »

Reinstall your video drivers. It could be an overheating video card.
If that's the case cleaning out the fans with canned air might help too
Lock/hold the fan blades in place if you do. Spinning them too fast can kill them.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 05, 2015, 11:55:42 am »

Okay, so I'm trying this again because I hate myself.

I seem to have a good graphics card picked out, but I'm still worried about my choice of CPU. I found a good looking motherboard which comes with an AMD FX-6300 for around $200 (I think? I can't remember). I'm trying to get something that I can use to play next-gen games on my 1600x900 monitor well, so would this be good? Should I get an FX-8350 instead? Should I just not get an AMD cpu and get something from Intel instead? Should I wait for a while to get one of the new CPUs that AMD is coming out with next year?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 05, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »

I am not. I believe the cable I am using is DVI-D. My monitor has HDMI and VGA ports as well so maybe it's just this port/cord? I'll try those later.

Also it has gone non-purple again. I went to work after my last post here, and when I got home and turned the monitor on it stayed purple for about a minute.
Make sure it's plugged all the way in.
I ran into something with an awkwardly plugged in monitor that had a red sort of tinge to things.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 05, 2015, 01:51:52 pm »

If you're connected via VGA, then it could be a bad cable, or bad socket, etc. VGA can cause all sorts of issues like that.
DVI/HDMI cables are just as susceptible to such issues, if not more. Especially cheap ones; I've encountered a few that started causing purple or green artifacts fresh out of the box.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 05, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »

I seem to have a good graphics card picked out, but I'm still worried about my choice of CPU. I found a good looking motherboard which comes with an AMD FX-6300 for around $200 (I think? I can't remember). I'm trying to get something that I can use to play next-gen games on my 1600x900 monitor well, so would this be good? Should I get an FX-8350 instead? Should I just not get an AMD cpu and get something from Intel instead? Should I wait for a while to get one of the new CPUs that AMD is coming out with next year?

Either the FX-6300 or the -8350 should do quite well, but you need to make sure you have good cooling in the case you're planning on - AMD processors tend to be cheaper for the performance, but run hotter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »

FX-6300 is "adequate" for now. I was making some recordings and uploaded them on youtube (using OBS and the AMD Gaming Evolved utility)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFL1qh9URk
GPU recording (using an R9 380 and FX-6300)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWvcZOg9P0
OBS recording (software that adds load on the CPU)

Everything set to either high or ultra as well and as you can see the FPS is manageable but not amazing (slowdowns to 30 fps are ok in my book)

The problem with FX-6300 and boards that accept is is that they can't be really upgraded past FX-8350. Everything beyond that is stupidly expensive and power hungry without giving much extra power in return.

So are FX CPUs good? Yes they are adequate. Just don't expect smooth 60 FPS at all times. More like 45 average if you want high fidelity.
Oh and htey take more power and get hotter so you should get a good PSU. Especially if you are going to use a Radeon alongside them.

Also ignore the desynced sound. I was editing the videos in youtube and apparently the sound got screwed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:58:10 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:45 pm »

I'm stuck here. Needing some help.

I'm using the latest version of Xubuntu and, with the help of an HDMI cable, have basically turned my TV into a second screen.

I have a problem when playing DF (and a few other games too), though.

When I try to go fullscreen, the game uses BOTH screen at the SAME time. Anyone knows any fix? I can, as always, just maximize it, but the game lags a lot when maximized.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:59 am »

Update on my purple screen issue: I reinstalled the drivers for my graphics card and haven't had any problems since then. It's possible this is by chance, but if it doesn't happen in a couple more days I'm assuming it's fixed.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 07, 2015, 02:44:45 pm »

Ok, so update on my computer upgrades. Due to finance limitations I'm getting a GTX960 for Christmas, still a big leap over my 6970. All I need now is a new MB, but I'm really terrible at telling what I want in one. I'd prefer to keep it around $100 Canadian. The rest of my build is as follows:
Phenom II X4 970, AM3+ socket
8GB DDR3 Ram
750 Watt power supply (I think I'm still good here?)

Any suggestions?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 07, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »

I'm using the latest version of Xubuntu and, with the help of an HDMI cable, have basically turned my TV into a second screen.

When I try to go fullscreen, the game uses BOTH screen at the SAME time. Anyone knows any fix? I can, as always, just maximize it, but the game lags a lot when maximized.

Linux in general has difficulty with multi-monitor setups.  (it is one of the reasons why USB to VGA adapters are not well tolerated by Linux, unless they are the ONLY adapter on the system.)

I dont have a good solution for you.  Perhaps use the WIn32 version of DF with Wine?

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 08, 2015, 04:03:09 pm »

The following is an Arch Linux wiki article about multihead and dual-monitor setups. You may be able to use its info in your attempts.
Multihead#Full_screen_games

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 09, 2015, 01:36:02 am »

Ok, so update on my computer upgrades. Due to finance limitations I'm getting a GTX960 for Christmas, still a big leap over my 6970. All I need now is a new MB, but I'm really terrible at telling what I want in one. I'd prefer to keep it around $100 Canadian. The rest of my build is as follows:
Phenom II X4 970, AM3+ socket
8GB DDR3 Ram
750 Watt power supply (I think I'm still good here?)

Any suggestions?
Pretty much any motherboard should do, it doesn't look like you need anything fancy. I personally go for Gigabyte boards, and a friend of mine swears by MSI.

That PSU is more than enough, assuming it's half decent. You probably only need 400W total for that build, 500W to be safe, so 750W is quite a lot.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2248 on: December 13, 2015, 03:24:18 pm »

Does anyone here use Bandcamp to stream music? It was working for me this morning but now the site doesn't seem to be working properly. Songs won't play. Even loading a page takes forever and it tends to break along the way. I just want to check - is it just me? Is it working for others? Or is there an issue with the site? Google isn't being helpful.

The album I'm trying to listen to is this one, though I've tried others and none of them seem to work for me: http://freezedream.bandcamp.com/album/arrival

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 13, 2015, 04:12:38 pm »

Works fine for me. Maybe it's something with your browser, a plugin or something that doesn't work properly.
Are other sites like soundcloud or youtube working for you?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 348