Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500298 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #2880 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:49 am »

Macbooks are built out of cheaper parts than Toshibas and he'll just be paying more.

The ThinkPad line would put up with more abuse but honestly a change in how a laptop is handled would go a long ways. Just tell your brother to literally burn $2000. Or he can give the money to me so I can get some decent health care. No more broken laptops that way. Save a laptop and ease my pain.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:22:07 am by BigD145 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 12, 2016, 10:09:18 am »

Thirding the above. If one breaks its unlucky, if two do its not good but could still be bad luck, but if all of them are he must be doing something bad or dumb with them. A macbook would be a more expensive loss that isn't any more durable.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:17 am »

4'thing.
There are some nasty cheap laptops in our house that survived more than a few years one being literally over 10 years old and so outdated it's barely usable for anything that's not retro gaming and simple paperwork but it works. If a laptop breaks it really had to be seriously mishandled (electronics are surprisingly durable TBH).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: July 12, 2016, 02:15:20 pm »

Or some serious bad luck with quality control, but I doubt it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »

yeah if quality control missed it then it is usually dead when you get it or within a month

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 12, 2016, 07:31:47 pm »

I personally wouldn't. He'd just end up with a broken more expensive laptop.

What does he do to laptops to break them so fast?
I don't know.

Does Planetside 2 or similar videogames have any detrimental effects on newly purchased computers?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:46 pm »

Besides overheating if you block the vents, I don't think so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »

What's actually broken in the previous machines? I feel that's fairly important to know.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: July 12, 2016, 08:46:12 pm »

What's actually broken in the previous machines? I feel that's fairly important to know.

To be honest... I never asked, and none of my family members ever said specifically what caused the breakdown.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:55 pm »

So I have a lot of technology and I've decided to start making the most of it. While sorting through some old tech junk I noticed a an old laptop that wasn't broken, it just had an hdmi port and just needed to be purged of adware, malware, bloatware and various other wares. (I'm also considering purging it of Vista but Linux is a mountain I'm not yet ready to climb). I decided to hook it up to the television, disable the monitor, and use remote desktop to control it from my good laptop, my phone, or my tablet. It's working pretty good but it's having major heating problems. Any advice on cutting down on this?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: July 12, 2016, 10:57:35 pm »

Give it a good dusting with compressed air (don't fuck up the fan), chances are an old laptop that's been sitting around is absolutely filthy with dust.

Or it could just be a model that runs hot, in which case you can't do much worth doing beyond elevating it and maybe setting a fan up to blow under/over/around the keyboard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 12, 2016, 11:13:16 pm »

Give it a good dusting with compressed air (don't fuck up the fan), chances are an old laptop that's been sitting around is absolutely filthy with dust.

Or it could just be a model that runs hot, in which case you can't do much worth doing beyond elevating it and maybe setting a fan up to blow under/over/around the keyboard.
The CPU is hitting 90c celsius, If that's normal then it might be intended to double as a hot pad. I figured I'd have to work it over with some canned air and change out the thermal paste but I guess there's no real tricks I can pull to give it a boost.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 13, 2016, 11:11:54 pm »

The CPU is hitting 90c celsius, If that's normal then it might be intended to double as a hot pad. I figured I'd have to work it over with some canned air and change out the thermal paste but I guess there's no real tricks I can pull to give it a boost.
I had a Lenovo laptop that ran in the mid-80s Celsius straight out of the box, was apparently the normal condition of the model. So yeah, if it's a design that doesn't distribute heat that well, it can get really damn hot. Laptop cases don't exactly have the space to spare for good fans, empty space, or large heatsinks. :I

But again, there's a good chance that it's just fucking full of dust and old.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 13, 2016, 11:43:12 pm »

The nice thing about the semi-gaming laptops I'm considering is that their cooling systems are pretty strong for any less processing-heavy applications. Also they weigh like four more pounds than machines without the extra hardware, but whatever, I am much stronk human stick-figure, it's k.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 14, 2016, 08:19:34 am »

Talked with my brother, he says all he did was put the laptop in his backpack before going on the plane. He says when he got off the laptop wouldn't turn on.

Maybe turbulence or similar caused it to break? But if so...

In any case, my brother's looking for an apple laptop for college now that Toshiba and Dell have both failed him..
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 348