Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929191 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1980 on: March 06, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »

A game about exploration (probably some level of sandboxy) where most things out-level you and you have to avoid them rather than trying to take them on, because they will curb stomp you. They shouldn't be so omnipresent that it becomes a stealth game, but you should always be wary in case suddenly jumps you. By necessity, it would have to be in realtime, and preferably 3D, so that you'd have to look around to be aware of your surroundings.

So basically, DF adventure mode in 3D
And realtime. Also, I'd prefer a world that's hand-built rather than procedurally-generated, as I prefer to find things that were hidden by a person rather than generated by a computer. Also, you would have some means of telling that things are above your abilities to defeat. So I'm not sure how DF is a good comparison at all.
A peasant with no skills and a bronze sword is clearly outmatched by a solid metal giant or a trained goblin with armor, you don't go after said armored opponents until you've built up your own ability to block/dodge and/or acquired armor of your own, exploration is a main aspect limited only by your character's abilities, and there are hidden fun features imposed to always appear despite randomness. The random system also creates rare peculiarities unique to the generated world, such as the Elf King of Dwarves or a queen with 4,000+ kills.

However, there are no talking mudcrab merchants, or tombs named after dev-team family members, or cyphers hidden in seemingly random wall flavor runes. Unless someone goes around adding that stuff in fort mode, of course, but a DF world with so many forts is rare.
I don't want to go through the whole game feature-by-feature with you. I like DF adventure mode, but it's not what I want in this case, and I don't understand why you're pressing the issue.

Anyway the whole idea of what I want from the game stems from reminiscing about my experiences in Anarchy Online, hitting tab to check whether there were any monsters around that were red (meaning they're well above your level, stay the fuck away from them), trying to explore Rubi-Ka to find all the cool stuff scattered throughout the game (though I wished there were things like cities and whatnot in these remote, hostile places, whereas usually the best found was dungeons that were too high level for me and carbonrich ore deposits.) I want a game where taking on dangerous monsters is not in your best interest, and, also, preferably, the player doesn't have any stats, and their gear doesn't have any (at least visible, comparable) stats. Probably something like Stranded II, but bigger and longer and with more competent enemies (that you could trick somehow instead of killing).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 06, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »

Got to say, I'd prefer that game more if you weren't flat-out told what's out of your ability. It would make actually observing things more important; because I like it when games reward paying attention to the environment instead of just checking the GUI.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »

Got to say, I'd prefer that game more if you weren't flat-out told what's out of your ability. It would make actually observing things more important; because I like it when games reward paying attention to the environment instead of just checking the GUI.
Yeah, that was just the inspiration; Anarchy is a game with 200+ levels, so they were forced by necessity to reuse models. A game where you could tell if an enemy was one that is above your abilities just by looking at it would be preferable. Although they should probably make sounds or something so that you don't suddenly turn around and there's a great big jungle cat or whatever staring at you (at least not all the time).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:44 pm »

I rather like Etrian Odyssey's way of telling you what FOEs are what- blue flames are easy to kill at your level, yellow flames require thought, and red flames are "It's near me GTFO GTFO GTFO." Sort of an "I see these beasts pretty often, and I've gotten strong enough","These things don't look too bad anymore, after all, I've learned some new skills", or "Oh god what is that thing."
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »

A MMORTS/Citybuilder

You start off on a planet with built-up nations, all in a state of active diplomacy. Wars, alliances, all of those likes. Governors manage the cities, which are autonomous and along the lines of ANNO or other city-builders. These cities crank out products, and essentially support themselves, but territory is needed to be conquered to get more resources. Generals command the armies of the nations, and are supplied with the resources of war by the cities. While there would be the main NPC nations, planets would be settled by player-run factions and fought over. Factions on the new worlds would not be restricted as they were on the home world, and settlements built by governors would start off as simple colonies, but grow into bustling cities.

Political systems could form, dissolve, and reform. Rulers would be players, and could be listened to and given political authority, forcing mandates on cities, orchestrating grand alliances, and govern an empire effectively.

It would be grand in scale, but the average player would only have to deal with commanding troops or building cities.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »

so like a simcity meets civ 3/4/5 meets star ruler? that sounds excellent sir. I wish that game existed now too!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 07, 2013, 12:19:38 am »

An adventure game where you play as Grendel from Beowulf. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:34 am »

Yeah, that was just the inspiration; Anarchy is a game with 200+ levels, so they were forced by necessity to reuse models. A game where you could tell if an enemy was one that is above your abilities just by looking at it would be preferable. Although they should probably make sounds or something so that you don't suddenly turn around and there's a great big jungle cat or whatever staring at you (at least not all the time).

I just thought DF adventure mode sounded similar and made a good example, and was confused when you said it wasn't anything like what you said. Perhaps a better example would be Morrowind, though generally you don't encounter creatures clearly out of your league except by wandering into dungeons. And the visual cues only come half a second before they kill you with some crazy-fast attack.

You should try Far Cry 3. Plenty of exploration involved, and you can tell which bandits and wild animals to avoid, until you both get a better gun and the skill to use it, by observation. Rhinoceros or tiger? Better keep clear this early on. Bandits in Humvee with mounted gun, all carrying assault rifles? Nope. Wild dogs or camp guarded by 3 loose guys with single-shot shotguns? Looks much more survivable.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:20 pm »

I'd care for a game where you're a wizard with a number of obscure abilities, and have to use them to solve puzzles.Things like total control of things colored fuchsia, the ability to bend aardvarks to your will, willy nilly silly stuff.  It would require a large amount of tongue-in-cheek humor, aimed at you. Bard's Tale, but magic puzzles.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:29 pm »

I'd care for a game where you're a wizard with a number of obscure abilities, and have to use them to solve puzzles.Things like total control of things colored fuchsia, the ability to bend aardvarks to your will, willy nilly silly stuff.  It would require a large amount of tongue-in-cheek humor, aimed at you. Bard's Tale, but magic puzzles.

Spellcasting 101 (or 201, or 301)?

I think at one point you cast a spell ON another spell to change the wording and in so doing changing what it does...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:44:40 pm by Sergius »

cibo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:23 am »

A roguelike world and player take a place to build a home base like DF style.
There are many zones nearby with unique resource to upgrade buildings or smith better armors or weapons but Monsters camp in there.
So if player wanna keep home base safe or need some resource have to fight monsters and order NPC work.

FPS fight would be like Monster Hunter + Mount & Blade (with some NPC army).

Some monsters too strong so player can't win and have to steal resource. Or feed some monsters produce resource.

hmm....is this possible? XD
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:01:44 am by cibo »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:08 am »

Clockwork Empires with Mewgenics mixed in. You have to manage the crazed cat ladies in your colony to keep the cat population in balance; i.e. produce enough mousers to keep rodents in check, enough fluffy Persians to keep the well-to-do happy, enough exotic cats for the motherland, etc., but keep the number of cats with occult-prefered features down to minimize the sacrifices and summonings. Cats would use both personality systems, so you'd have cats that are uncomfortable when they're not near machinery, cats that like to laze in the middle of the road, cats that are morbidly frightened by tophats due to prior trauma, cats that climb the nearest clocktower and howl every noon, etc. As there are pipes and cats involved, each playthrough would necessarily evolve into a pneumatic cat transport system management simulation. Overuse of cat magic causes Cathulhu to rise and use your colony like a scratching post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 08, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

Clockwork Empires with Mewgenics mixed in. You have to manage the crazed cat ladies in your colony to keep the cat population in balance

Oddly enough I thought to myself "What a horror game!" by this point.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 08, 2013, 05:16:00 am »

A game where you poke spiders until they run up the stick and you flail the motion controls around or else get a game-over screen informing you that you crapped yourself and/or got a nasty bite. It's at night time, in Australia. All you have is a flashlight and a stick.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:27 am »

Why the flashlight?

And you'll have to be more specific with the spider :-
We've got spiders that can jump further than any stick can reach; spiders that will rip the stick out of your hands and poke you; spiders that will just glare at your stick and amble off clutching the small dog it just caught; and other spiders that will send subservient gangs of ants after you.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 577