Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929568 times)

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4770 on: December 06, 2014, 10:49:49 am »

ascii graphics are like an explosion in an alphabet soup factory.  it does't need imagination and it requires the brain to readjust to read the screens.
however, if you're playing a game like df, you're not playing it for the graphics but for what it provides.  not having a good basic graphics set hurts the game in the long run, but there are tile sets that alleviate much of the problem.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: December 06, 2014, 03:48:52 pm »

I wish that there was a steampunk mecha game where you could design your own mecha at the scale of boilers and pipes and valves and chambers... You could use big boilers for more efficiency and higher maximum pressures, or lots of little ones for more redundancy and articulation. You could vent steam as a weapon, or pump it into expanding chambers to make claws swing around, or use it to charge a generator to zap things... Build your own limbs using expanding chambers or tendons or by pumping steam across wheels... This is a thing that I want.
Spoiler: off-topic (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: December 06, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »

ASCII is a 3D-world-outline of the hidden world-of-the-book lying underneath the cover of the alphabet-soup.
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:44 pm »

I wish that there was a steampunk mecha game where you could design your own mecha at the scale of boilers and pipes and valves and chambers... You could use big boilers for more efficiency and higher maximum pressures, or lots of little ones for more redundancy and articulation. You could vent steam as a weapon, or pump it into expanding chambers to make claws swing around, or use it to charge a generator to zap things... Build your own limbs using expanding chambers or tendons or by pumping steam across wheels... This is a thing that I want.
A bit like From the Depths but with giant humanoid fuck-shit-up bots?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: December 06, 2014, 06:50:04 pm »

That would be awesome.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:29 pm »

Toady's Law: Any thread in which the word "graphics" is used will inevitably devolve into pro/anti ascii comments.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »

Toady's Law: Any thread in which the word "graphics" is used will inevitably devolve into pro/anti ascii comments.

Pff, ASCII will win.  :P

On-topic: I wish that there was an RTS game where rather than building things out of abstract crystals or metal, you actually tear apart the ground and use it to build (with various factories/processing steps along the way). Kind of like a combination of Minecraft, Factorio, and the RTS genre.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:46:01 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: December 06, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »

He's got it right, graphical packs tend to make everything look ugly and deform the RAW files into accentless abominations.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

blazing glory

« Reply #4778 on: December 06, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »

He's got it right, graphical packs tend to make everything look ugly and deform the RAW files into accentless abominations.

True, Tilesets are ugly.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: December 06, 2014, 11:34:11 pm »

On-topic: I wish that there was an RTS game where rather than building things out of abstract crystals or metal, you actually tear apart the ground and use it to build (with various factories/processing steps along the way). Kind of like a combination of Minecraft, Factorio, and the RTS genre.

I'm just imagining a player having to micromanage hundreds of earthmovers, refineries, mills, and factories.  It seems like your best bet would be to put the player in charge of prospecting, constructing infrastructure, and deciding what military resources need to be built.  Automate everything below that level and I think the player would still have an enormous amount to do.

When you say tear apart the earth, were you thinking about terrain deformation?  I instantly thought about the player having to clear overburden, designate where to dig shafts or build ramps, and that sort of thing.  Basically, Gold Mining Simulator (TM Discovery Channel), but with dozens of mine types and ores.

Has there ever been an RTS that actually had terrain deformation WRT fortifications, tunnels, walls, etc.?  It seems like a fairly obvious way to go, given how important terrain and fortifications are in tactics.  Wait, aren't there going to be invaders who can dig in DF?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: December 07, 2014, 01:31:13 am »

I would hope for less like Minecraft and more like The Incredible Machine, or maybe Factorio now that someone mentioned it. From the Depths seems a bit too hierarchial for my tastes. It seems as though you have one bit that actually does things and a whole lots of other bits that tweak how the primary ones works. I would like something where every bit is just doing its own thing and the interactions are about a bit being-done-to by other bits and then doing to others in turn. Don't get me wrong, From The Depths looks like loads of fun, but it seems as though a gun is always a gun, a spike is always a spike, and an engine is always an engine. You are never going to put a gun in your leg to kick faster, or put a spike facing into your fist to make a pressurised tank explode when it hits something, or put an engine in your arm because it, and the armour you were putting around it anyway, were heavy enough to cause some serious damage if you just swing it at something...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:24 am »

You notice that there's no really new platformers out there?
Reason I don't count new sonic games: Unleased was the last sonic platformer. I could MAYBE count colors, but there's all this auto targeting stuff and the new games basically have no instant death infinite pits, or if they do, they're impossible to see because they blend into the rest of the stage. I think the Adventure games handled being a platformer really well, even if the camera controls were sketchy.
Mario games... I can't count it as new if I already beat it, and as well, there is no variety any more. Maybe there's the 3D party one, but as I said I already beat it.
Any other recent platformer I garuntee you is an indie title, which is synonymous with retro, which means 'made to be old', which means that it was never new in the first place. Seriously, in the past two years, name one indie platformer that is not made of big pixels or tron lines. If you're restricting yourself to that art style, you're restricting yourself to the same old physics and ideas, too.

I want to see a decent 3D platformer, where the camera is never fixed perspective, where defeating enemies is the same as using them for platforms, but without putting you on very obvious rails. Probably with interesting puzzles, involving jumping onto the right switches. But there has to be a near-constant sense of if-you-screw-up-this-jump-you're-dead, and fealing like you're getting somewhere even when you're exploring in the completly wrong direction.

Like, if you had an open world game, but it was Sonic-Adventure style, with straightforward objectives that you could aproach in several dozen ways, but it's entirely possible to die no matter which you choose if you can't master the controls, and then if you want you can roam billions of miles away from the start, facing all sorts of challenges, and then take a quicker but just as hard way back, just to get an optional upgrade, or maybe to experience the seemingly infinite world. Hmm... actually, with on the fly generation, the world could actually be made infinite.

Bah. Basically, I just miss real tough 3D platforming, and modern games don't cut it because devs don't like plat3Ds anymore.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:09 am »

I was going to suggest that there are lots of pretentious indie platformers, but you got it in before me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:50 am »

-snipt-
Mirror's Edge 2, coming some time in the indeterminate future.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: December 07, 2014, 06:11:49 pm »

-snoop dog-
Portal games are fairly modern.

Mirrors Edge, aye. Assassin's Creed I've always felt was a platformer-murdersim mash up.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 577