Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929150 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5805 on: September 03, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »

FO3/FNV but with significant expanses of procedurally generated wasteland
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »

A sandbox with a plot doesn't really count as a sandbox anymore :P
Depends on how you define things. I'd say that Uplink is a sandbox but also has a plot.

Uplink plot can be entirely miss though. Even accidentally.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:26 pm »

That doesn't mean it's not there. You could miss the plot of a linear game like Half-Life even, if you're particularly dense. Distracted by the flashy colours instead of anything anyone is saying or the meaning of what they're doing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: September 03, 2015, 08:00:01 pm »

That doesn't mean it's not there. You could miss the plot of a linear game like Half-Life even, if you're particularly dense. Distracted by the flashy colours instead of anything anyone is saying or the meaning of what they're doing.

Is there by any chance also a way to miss the plot of Half-Life 2? Because that would improve the game immensely.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: September 03, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »

Is there by any chance also a way to miss the plot of Half-Life 2? Because that would improve the game immensely.
Why play HL2 if you don't care about the part of it they put the most work into and the only part that sets it out most from every single-player shooter before and since?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »

Why play HL2 if you don't care about the part of it they put the most work into and the only part that sets it out most from every single-player shooter before and since?

I don't play it. I uninstalled it because it was an overhyped piece of shit.

The only remotely worthwhile thing in that whole game was the gravity gun, and even that wasn't worth the price of having to listen to the Vances prattle on interminably. I wasted eighteen hours on that game that I could have otherwise spent productively, or failing that at least spent playing Scourge of Armagon
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:16:05 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: September 03, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »

I wish Recettear had a sequel.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: September 03, 2015, 11:07:03 pm »

Riiight. Just one of the greatest PC games of all time. With a great story, level design, characters, and gameplay. It's a piece of shit, bro... Ha ha! I mean, hey, it must be pretty awful right? Innovative mechanics, lengthy campaign, and totally engrossing... Ya, pretty awful. HL2 is not overhyped in any way shape or form, it is old, and showing it's age, don't bash old games bro. Especially the game from which dozens of the greatest PC games, mods, and indies are derived. NO. PRETTY SHIT. Guess what, you're wrong. Objectively, too. So quiet down.

I wish there was a game where I could satisfy my discontent with haters.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:47 pm »

A sandbox with a plot doesn't really count as a sandbox anymore :P

1. X-series

2. I didn't ask for a plot per se, I asked for it to become a game for example have a big bad enemy you can defeat, or something you can conquer and claim, or some other objective that can be accomplished to give you a long term goal that's not "build things that serve no purpose" or "murder people who just respawned for no particular reason"

I don't know when you tried to play it, but I don't think that's completely fair. It was really good when it came out but it's 11 years old now - it's aged rather poorly (imo)

I wish Recettear had a sequel.

You and me both.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:06 am »

Riiight. Just one of the greatest PC games of all time. With a great story, level design, characters, and gameplay. It's a piece of shit, bro... Ha ha! I mean, hey, it must be pretty awful right?

It was inferior to the original on every one of those counts

The only places were it wasn't inferior to the original were the graphics for faces and for some of the terrain (not weapon graphics though; those were, again, inferior to the original. That revolver looked like a cheap plastic toy)

Innovative mechanics, lengthy campaign, ...

Padding out the game with gratuitous driving levels isn't innovative, it's cheap.

As for the gravity gun, I'm sure I could find an earlier game that had something similar if I spent some time digging.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:05:30 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: September 04, 2015, 01:41:04 am »

Riiight. Just one of the greatest PC games of all time. With a great story, level design, characters, and gameplay. It's a piece of shit, bro... Ha ha! I mean, hey, it must be pretty awful right?

It was inferior to the original on every one of those counts

The only places were it wasn't inferior to the original were the graphics for faces and for some of the terrain (not weapon graphics though; those were, again, inferior to the original. That revolver looked like a cheap plastic toy)

Innovative mechanics, lengthy campaign, ...

Padding out the game with gratuitous driving levels isn't innovative, it's cheap.

As for the gravity gun, I'm sure I could find an earlier game that had something similar if I spent some time digging.

I don't even know how to respond to these points. All of them absolutely ridiculous and frankly just not true man.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

blazing glory

« Reply #5816 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:09 am »

Probably shouldn't be getting into a debate about if HL2 is actually good or not, at least not on this thread.

I would rather like to see a game that not only uses the Red Faction series engine, but also makes buildings a tiny bit more sturdy when they are officially 'knocked down'.

Making a building fall on its side to make a improvised bridge or ramp is extremely difficult when they just crumble to pieces with no real debris when the smoke settles, with pretty much everything being flat.

It tends to annoy me a little bit whenever I replay Red Faction:Guerrilla, and whether or not it'd be more realistic (I have never seen a building fall over in Real Life after all.), it'd sure be more fun, at least for me.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: September 04, 2015, 07:36:08 am »

Probably shouldn't be getting into a debate about if HL2 is actually good or not, at least not on this thread.

I would rather like to see a game that not only uses the Red Faction series engine, but also makes buildings a tiny bit more sturdy when they are officially 'knocked down'.

Making a building fall on its side to make a improvised bridge or ramp is extremely difficult when they just crumble to pieces with no real debris when the smoke settles, with pretty much everything being flat.

It tends to annoy me a little bit whenever I replay Red Faction:Guerrilla, and whether or not it'd be more realistic (I have never seen a building fall over in Real Life after all.), it'd sure be more fun, at least for me.
cough
more games with RFG's engine
cough
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: September 04, 2015, 10:36:52 am »

I wish there was a game like Galerians that was better than the original, and also had a better name than Galerians.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: September 04, 2015, 10:56:28 am »

cough
more games with RFG's engine
cough
There is one. It's just in tunnels the whole time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 577